Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkKnightNomeD

It turns out that people who talk to themselves are geniuses

Do you talk to yourself?   5 members have voted

1. 1. Do you talk to yourself?

• Yes
    • No

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

9 posts in this topic

Do you talk to yourself? Also - POLL! :laugh:

It turns out that people who talk to themselves are geniuses

http://brightside.me/article/it-turns-out-that-people-who-talk-to-themselves-are-geniuses-7855/

-

I talk to myself a lot. And I don’t mean only in the privacy of my own home. I talk to myself while I’m walking down the street, when I’m in my office or when I’m shopping. Thinking out loud helps me materialize what I’m thinking about. It helps me make sense of things.

It also makes me look insane. Crazy people talk to themselves, right? They’re conversing with the voices inside their heads. If you’re yammering on to nobody, everyone thinks you’re a mental patient.

This wrong. Talking to yourself, it turns out, is actually a sign of genius.

In one study, psychologists Daniel Swigley and Gary Lupyan hypothesized that talking to yourself was actually beneficial.

Read the rest of it in the link.

Edited by DarkKnightNomeD
1 person likes this

Hmm interesting article! Im not sure if i should do the poll. Wait 5 minutes while i ask myself what to do!

14 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Hmm interesting article! Im not sure if i should do the poll. Wait 5 minutes while i ask myself what to do!

WTH I thought I put this in off-topic. lol

We knew that. As Counselor Troi tells Piccard, that's perfectly natural. When you ask yourself, "where are my keys?" who are you talking to, yourself. Your brain, all our brains, work on at this level because society teaches us it's the best way to filter through a situation, any situation, to achieve the best results. Some call it "communication". Also, as the article says, people that ask themselves the questions, don't rely on others, but themselves to find a solution, an answer. 

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Last1oftheJedi said:

We knew that. As Counselor Troi tells Piccard, that's perfectly natural. When you ask yourself, "where are my keys?" who are you talking to, yourself. Your brain, all our brains, work on at this level because society teaches us it's the best way to filter through a situation, any situation, to achieve the best results. Some call it "communication". Also, as the article says, people that ask themselves the questions, don't rely on others, but themselves to find a solution, an answer. 

To be honest i think its control! When you do not speak aloud your subconscious is handling it. When like as you say when you ask yourself, "where are my keys?" that is because your subconscious also does not know. Your sub flags it and you take control. responding with an out loud comment. Same thing happens in fluid emergency situations. That are traumatic. Not enough time exists to process the information so your conscious, primal survival mind takes over.

I vote "Sometimes yes, and sometimes no"

I use verbal dialogue once in awhile, inner dialogue far more frequently, and fairly infrequently I turn off the dialogue completely to keep in touch with my primitive, reactionary, animalistic self (lest that part of my being bite me in the ass when I least expect or need it to)

Folks talk about mind control and "programming" but tend to forget that we are constantly writing and rewriting that code in our own heads with what we choose to think or talk to ourselves about.

2 people like this

Yeah I talk to myself. I just said that out loud.

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.