Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ukshep

POPE PICKS FIGHT WITH TRUMP!

20 posts in this topic

POPE PICKS FIGHT WITH TRUMP!

ABOARD THE PAPAL PLANE (AP) -- Thrusting himself into the heated American presidential campaign, Pope Francis declared Thursday that Donald Trump is "not Christian" if he wants to address illegal immigration only by building a wall along the U.S.-Mexico border.

Trump fired back ferociously, saying it was "disgraceful" for a religious leader to question a person's faith.

The rare back-and-forth between pontiff and presidential candidate was the latest astonishing development in an American election already roiled by Trump's free-wheeling rhetoric and controversial policy proposals, particularly on immigration. It also underscored the popular pope's willingness to needle U.S. politicians on hot-button issues.

Francis' comments came hours after he concluded a visit to Mexico, where he prayed at the border for people who died trying to reach the U.S. While speaking to reporters on the papal plane, he was asked what he thought of Trump's campaign pledge to build a wall along the entire length of the border and expel millions of people in the U.S. illegally.

"A person who thinks only about building walls, wherever they may be, and not building bridges, is not Christian," he said. While Francis said he would "give the benefit of the doubt" because he had not heard Trump's border plans independently, he added, "I say only that this man is not a Christian if he has said things like that."

Trump, a Presbyterian and the front-runner for the Republican presidential nomination, responded within minutes.

"For a religious leader to question a person's faith is disgraceful," he said at a campaign stop in South Carolina, which holds a key primary on Saturday. "I am proud to be a Christian, and as president I will not allow Christianity to be consistently attacked and weakened."

Trump also raised the prospect of the Islamic State extremist group attacking the Vatican, saying that if that happened, "the pope would have only wished and prayed that Donald Trump would have been president because this would not have happened."

Source: http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/E/EU_REL_POPE_TRUMP

What does the election have to do with the pope? he cant even keep his own house in order!

1 person likes this

Let's not even mention the Vatican's own friggin wall!!  Or it's immigration policy.  Or should I say non existent immigration policy!

I'm not defending Trump.  Just calling out hypocrisy as I see it.

2 people like this

Just now, Walk Softly said:

Let's not even mention the Vatican's own friggin wall!!  Or it's immigration policy.  Or should I say non existent immigration policy!

I'm not defending Trump.  Just calling out hypocrisy as I see it.

I agree! pope ain't got any right to open his mouth on this one!

So the Donald is calling out the Pope now too? I guess he thinks he can insult his way to the Oval office.

I'm sick of all the name calling and political infighting. Do we not have one person running for President who has enough class to rise above the nonsense and show the American people that they are a real leader rather than a name calling bully?

Just now, CGK said:

So the Donald is calling out the Pope now too? I guess he thinks he can insult his way to the Oval office.

I'm sick of all the name calling and political infighting. Do we not have one person running for President who has enough class to rise above the nonsense and show the American people that they are a real leader rather than a name calling bully?

The pope attacked him cgk! he only responded.

1 person likes this

7 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

The pope attacked him cgk! he only responded.

I dont care who attacked who. Im sick of the name calling from all of them!!!!!!

The Pope has no right to try and sway the U.S. Presidential election.

2 people like this

Pope loses his cool with person who almost knocked him down

MORELIA, Mexico, (Reuters) - Pope Francis, who is usually calm and accommodating with his admirers, clearly lost his temper with a person who pulled on him so hard that he fell onto a child on a wheel chair.
-----
After he returned to an upright position, his face turned angry.

He looked at the person, raised his voice and said twice in Spanish: "Don't be selfish!"

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-loses-cool-person-almost-knocked-him-down-044137761.html

Yeah Mr. Pope,
Don't be selfish!
Why don't you take in millions of Mexicans who are just looking for a better life?
Surely the Vatican can afford to cover all medical costs, housing, food and education for them and all their offspring for generations to come.
He has no right to criticize our immigration policies, or lack of as it stands, until the Vatican is as over run with illegals as many US towns and cities are.

- February 18, 2016 -

Donald J. Trump Response to the Pope

If and when the Vatican is attacked by ISIS, which as everyone knows is ISIS’s ultimate trophy, I can promise you that the Pope would have only wished and prayed that Donald Trump would have been President because this would not have happened. ISIS would have been eradicated unlike what is happening now with our all talk, no action politicians.

The Mexican government and its leadership has made many disparaging remarks about me to the Pope, because they want to continue to rip off the United States, both on trade and at the border, and they understand I am totally wise to them. The Pope only heard one side of the story - he didn’t see the crime, the drug trafficking and the negative economic impact the current policies have on the United States. He doesn’t see how Mexican leadership is outsmarting President Obama and our leadership in every aspect of negotiation.

For a religious leader to question a person’s faith is disgraceful. I am proud to be a Christian and as President I will not allow Christianity to be consistently attacked and weakened, unlike what is happening now, with our current President. No leader, especially a religious leader, should have the right to question another man’s religion or faith. They are using the Pope as a pawn and they should be ashamed of themselves for doing so, especially when so many lives are involved and when illegal immigration is so rampant.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-response-to-the-pope

Regardless of the rhetoric there are plenty of devout Catholics in America that will be appalled by Trump calling the Pope out. It was a dumb move on Trumps part to get into a pissing match with the Pope. He would have been much better off by making a statement that goes something like this....

"I respect his Holiness opinion but the only one who will ultimately judge me is God our Father....In Jesus name I pray"

That sort of statement would have put the Pope on defense and had the Catholics scratching their heads. Trump needs to fire his religious advisers over this one. I know Trump says he hires the best people to advise him but I suspect he didn't have a Catholic on his payroll in anticipation of Pope problems. LOL

1 person likes this

i did not see trump call anyone a name,
are you sure cgk?

the pope is just a man, like any of us
no better, no worse (God is no respecter of persons, so the pope/queen/dalai lama/bill gates/president/etc is fair game)

he is not 'his holiness', anymore than you are

trump was right this time,
the pope is no judge of a man's heart/faith

the pope overstepped his earthly purview and got spanked

now if only we could see all of humanity as equal, actual change might occur

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.