Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkKnightNomeD

Welcome to the 'Agrihood': Homes Built Around Working Farms

4 posts in this topic

Surprised I didn't see this earlier today, welcome to the future people. =)

Welcome to the 'Agrihood': Homes Built Around Working Farms

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/agrihood-homes-built-working-farms-36806887

-

Gated communities with houses clustered around golf courses, swimming pools, party rooms and fitness centers are common in many suburban areas. But homes built adjacent to functioning farms?

Welcome to "agrihoods" — pastoral ventures with healthier foods as their focus.

This farm-to-table residential model has been sprouting up everywhere from Atlanta to Shanghai. It involves homes built within strolling distance of small working farms, where produce matures under the hungry gaze of residents, where people can venture out and pick greens for their salads.

"Real estate developers are looking for the next big thing to set them apart," said Ed McMahon, senior resident fellow with the Urban Land Institute in Washington. "That gives them a competitive advantage."

<snip>

A lot of things are driving the trend, McMahon said. "There's more interest in fresh foods. There's interest in good health. There's interest in local everything. It's also about enjoying the many conveniences that help you meet your neighbors."

Many purchasers are second-home buyers, retirees or parents of young children, McMahon said.

"They tend to be what I call the 'barbell generation,'" he said. "The millennial generation that wants fresh everything, that wants to know where their food is coming from. Also the senior generation, the baby boomers. They don't want big yards to take care of anymore."

OMG.

This must be stopped! Big Ag and Big Gov and the MIC will have to stamp this out. Truck farming is severely discouraged in my state, Lose-iana. 

5 hours ago, grav said:

OMG.

This must be stopped! Big Ag and Big Gov and the MIC will have to stamp this out. Truck farming is severely discouraged in my state, Lose-iana. 

Excuse my ignorance but what is truck farming?

1 hour ago, Quick1966 said:

Excuse my ignorance but what is truck farming?

Small scale farms. Years ago, country people would load up the truck with tomatoes, corn, other produce -- and sell on roadsides and by courthouses. I think the practice might be picking up in some places. Farmers markets are becoming more popular too. There is a demand for local food, organic veggies and fruit, grass-fed beef, etc. The Ag people had nothing to do with it. Not around here, anyway. They want everyone to grow loblolly pine on their land. No thankee, Mr. County Agent. And don't tell me to use Roundup and pesticides. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.