Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

smart fruit salad

5 posts in this topic

new sensor detects ethanol , warns consumers of food spoilage

ESPOO, Finland, May 6 (UPI) -- Researchers in Finland have developed a tiny sensor that can detect food spoilage. The sensor is small enough to be installed in the lining of food packaging and its signal can be read wirelessly by a mobile device like a smartphone.

The sensor works by detecting ethanol, a chemical byproduct of spoiling produce. Experiments showed ethanol and carbon dioxide were the two most volatile metabolite molecules given off by cut fruit.

Sensor findings are communicated via what's called a radio-frequency identification (RFID) tag. The RFID tag's messaging can be picked up by an RFID reader, which could be installed on a smartphone. The sensor can also communicate its readings optically, by changing colors.

http://www.upi.com/Science_News/2015/05/06/Researchers-develop-sensor-that-detects-food-spoilage/5041430929927/?spt=sec&or=sn

ha - a whole host of verbs/adjectives could detect that too - easy - moldy, smelly, runny, tastes/looks weird, etc hehe

Beware your produce bearing the mark of the beast!!!

Seriously though... This just seems completely unnecessary and will only translate into a markup on the already a rising cost of food.

I have an inbuilt sensor. It takes signals from my nose and my eyes and does some weird thing in my brain, et voila!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.