Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Bill allows suits over gun-free zone incidents (Tennessee)

4 posts in this topic

If a Tennessee grocery store bans guns on its property and a black bear or wild hog kills or injures a person who otherwise would be carrying his or her gun, the gun owner would be allowed to sue the property owner if a newly introduced bill became law.

Sponsored by Sen. Dolores Gresham, R-Somerville,Senate Bill 1736 has a very specific purpose.

“It is the intent of this section to balance the right of a handgun carry permit holder to carry a firearm in order to exercise the right of self-defense and the ability of a property owner or entity in charge of the property to exercise control over governmental or private property,” the bill states.

To accomplish that goal, the legislation allows any Tennessean with a valid gun permit to sue a property owner in the event of injury or death provided the incident occurred while in a gun-free zone.

The legislation places responsibility on the business or property owner of the gun-free area to protect the gun owner from any incidents that occur with any “invitees,” trespassers and employees found on the property, as well as vicious and wild animals and “defensible man-made and natural hazards.”

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/politics/2016/01/15/bill-allows-suits-over-gun-free-zone-incidents/78862948/

I wonder if this will get any traction.  There have been several incidents where people were killed while ccw permit holders were forced to leave their guns outside businesses that were gun free zones and the outcome would have been very different if they had not been forbidden to bring their guns with them. One woman, who testified before Congress, watched her parents being killed after she left her gun in the car that day. 

Well they do let the victims sue the gun manufacturer even tho they really had no part in the killings. Or at least the people in Sandy Hook are trying to sue the manufacturer. I can see this gaining some traction just not in idiot states like California. 

1 hour ago, Groove said:

Well they do let the victims sue the gun manufacturer even tho they really had no part in the killings. Or at least the people in Sandy Hook are trying to sue the manufacturer. I can see this gaining some traction just not in idiot states like California. 

CCW permits are in a data base that tells the "authorities" everything about the permit holder. That's what I don't like about that system. It's a mini gun registry and I wonder if it is being shared with the feds, they are connecting everything together so if it isn't already, you can bet that it will be eventually.  The data base in Ca has to be tiny, they are stingy with their ccw permits in this state. The libs are terrified of guns so they don't want anyone else to have one, either, so no, California will not allow anything like that.  The proposed law is from a different angle, almost as crafty as the anti-gunner's way of taking guns away. 

I think this is a good idea....... might stop more infringement on rights.... gun free zones are the reason attacks happen and do not get stopped!

in regards to this

If a Tennessee grocery store bans guns on its property and a black bear or wild hog kills or injures a person who otherwise would be carrying his or her gun, the gun owner would be allowed to sue the property owner if a newly introduced bill became law.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.