Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Guest

Isolation

22 posts in this topic

This is not so much a (constructive) criticism as much as it is an observation, and it needs saying:

COP is becoming another ION, just as I warned it would if guests were prevented from participating.  Sadly, that's exactly what it is turning into.

I love COP and I love you all.  It's a pleasant forum and, yes, one of the better ones I've ever been a part of.  Shep has done great work and so have the mods and of course so has beloved Cinnamon.

That-said: Due to the policy of allowing only members to participate, COP has become a closed loop; like a repeating time loop in The Matrix.  Same posters over and over again, same 'faces', etc.  ION 2.0

I realise why guest posting was disabled and I 'get' the intent, I 'get' that COP aims to "protect members"; I recognise the aims in doing such and I realise it also reduces (significantly) the need for moderation.  Heck, COP could probably run on only one active mod, the way it currently is set up.

Now COP has become, really, little more than a club.  That is not to say it isn't a good club.  It certainly is, and there are quality posters for sure, however, COP has effectively cut itself off from the world and there's little "new life" that gets breathed into it because it is not open to the world.  You can try to protect people from the world, but I will say to you: It is ultimately not a healthy thing.  Now it is borne out in the stagnation which is apparent.  Perhaps it is simply the Aquarian in me say this (we are people people and enjoy the spice of life, all the different personalities the world has to present) but I do think it needed to be said.

No, I don't plan on flouncing or any such nonsense, however what I am seeing happen to COP is what put me off about ION.  It is no different.  Just sayin'

Idea: Why not open guest posting on, say, weekends?

:heartflowers:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How does requiring membership keep people from joining and participating? How does that cut itself off from the world?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Challenger said:

How does requiring membership keep people from joining and participating? How does that cut itself off from the world?

Via a number of factors, the major one being, something like this, "Oh, cool site, I think I'm gonna jump right in and reply to one of these threads...  Uh, what? You want me to first register?  Meh... (*clicks on another site*)."

I can assure you, the majority of people who have signed up at other forums were guest posters beforehand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having guest posting closed has no effect on cop other than it keeps the asshats out... those that will only post as guests do so for nefarious reasons because they insult and attack and want nothing more to to do it anon. that is 90% of the guests and its not worth opening for such a small amount of decent people. In fact the traffic and posting is affected by being in competition with bigger sites and the fact they are all driven by drama and have destroyed intelligence meaning that most cters want drama bullshit and not ct. We will grow slowly and we will do so without losing who we are. Because a site needs to exist with some integrity intact.

That said.... nice observation but totally not accounting for all of the factors. but they can only be learned from experience i suppose.

Note: Since closing guest posting site actvity has risen by 64% :D so that should tell you what effect that had!

But we had planned to open it back up for a few weeks to allow those who dont want to sign up to participate and re-measure the level of trolls. Might bump it up to tonight. If i do im sure you will know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Having guest posting closed has no effect on cop other than it keeps the asshats out... those that will only post as guests do so for nefarious reasons because they insult and attack and want nothing more to to do it anon. that is 90% of the guests and its not worth opening for such a small amount of decent people. In fact the traffic and posting is affected by being in competition with bigger sites and the fact they are all driven by drama and have destroyed intelligence meaning that most cters want drama bullshit and not ct. We will grow slowly and we will do so without losing who we are. Because a site needs to exist with some integrity intact.

That said.... nice observation but totally not accounting for all of the factors. but they can only be learned from experience i suppose.

Note: Since closing guest posting site actvity has risen by 64% :D so that should tell you what effect that had!

I 'get' where you're coming from, Shep, and, of course, I respect your stance, yet I still disagree to a certain extent.

Whatever the case may be, it is true that COP has certainly turned out well, all things considered, especially as 'a cozy little corner of the Internet'.  It is indeed slowly growing (emphasis on slowly) and it will continue to grow a bit more, however, there is stagnation going on.  I think one of the pluses going for COP is that, at least, you allow guests to read COP (unlike ION.  That is what has really put the final nail in the coffin for them.)

64% rise in activity since disabling guest posting: Sure, but that's not saying much since it's been a long time since it was disabled.  If guest posting were not disabled, I can virtually guarantee you, COP might easily have grown 600%  The only question, really, is: 'how much more will COP grow?', and, 'how fast?'  I suppose these questions don't really matter too much, unless perhaps growth stops altogether.

You're right about 90% of the anons causing trouble, but that's why there's moderation to be done.  You could easily ask for more mods to volunteer, especially if your membership base were larger (then there'd be more mod canidates, of course.)  I do believe it is entirely possible to properly moderate an open forum effectively and deal with all the troublemakers.  Again: What about something inbetween?  Say, open posting on weekends, for instance(?)  Sure, you'd first need to have your mod team ready and perhaps you'd need an extra mod or two, first; then you could at least try it as an experiment(?)  Just a thought.

When COP was still starting off, with hardly any mods, guests could easily wreak havoc.  That is why they were so much trouble.  Now that COP is a little bigger it would be easier to handle, and if you had an extra mod or two on the staff it could be manageable, especially if open posting were enabled only once or twice a week, or something along those lines.

My 2c

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

I 'get' where you're coming from, Shep, and, of course, I respect your stance, yet I still disagree to a certain extent.

Whatever the case may be, it is true that COP has certainly turned out well, all things considered, especially as 'a cozy little corner of the Internet'.  It is indeed slowly growing (emphasis on slowly) and it will continue to grow a bit more, however, there is stagnation going on.  I think one of the pluses going for COP is that, at least, you allow guests to read COP (unlike ION.  That is what has really put the final nail in the coffin for them.)

64% rise in activity since disabling guest posting: Sure, but that's not saying much since it's been a long time since it was disabled.  If guest posting were not disabled, I can virtually guarantee you, COP might easily have grown 600%  The only question, really, is: 'how much more will COP grow?', and, 'how fast?'  I suppose these questions don't really matter too much, unless perhaps growth stops altogether.

You're right about 90% of the anons causing trouble, but that's why there's moderation to be done.  You could easily ask for more mods to volunteer, especially if your membership base were larger (then there'd be more mod canidates, of course.)  I do believe it is entirely possible to properly moderate an open forum effectively and deal with all the troublemakers.  Again: What about something inbetween?  Say, open posting on weekends, for instance(?)  Sure, you'd first need to have your mod team ready and perhaps you'd need an extra mod or two, first; then you could at least try it as an experiment(?)  Just a thought.

When COP was still starting off, with hardly any mods, guests could easily wreak havoc.  That is why they were so much trouble.  Now that COP is a little bigger it would be easier to handle, and if you had an extra mod or two on the staff it could be manageable, especially if open posting were enabled only once or twice a week, or something along those lines.

My 2c

Well its open to try out again for a little while....

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Ukshep said:

Well its open to try out again for a little while....

I just saw that!!! kpLvj9p.gif Are there mods around :snrmaajt::lshsgpda::DWsKVPL::37Vju9V::chuckle:kpLvj9p.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gosh, thanks for considering the suggestion, Shep.  Let it never be said that you don't listen to suggestions!  Then again you are a crazy mofo. :chuckle::heart::heart::heart:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

Gosh, thanks for considering the suggestion, Shep.  Let it never be said that you don't listen to suggestions!  Then again you are a crazy mofo. :chuckle::heart::heart::heart:

lol its been on the cards to retry it a while... you just brought it forward by a month or two.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Ukshep said:

lol its been on the cards a while... you just brought it forward by a month or two.

Cool! :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Sky Cat said:

I hope the mods just drank their Red Bull!

Bottoms up! lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead


Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.