Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

East Coast Blizzard Warning

19 posts in this topic

If you live on the East Coast of the USA, you better get your preps in place now.

After a record-setting warm spell to start the winter, East Coasters could be forgiven if they started to worry that it was never going to snow again. Fear not, oh dendrite devotees, for Mother Nature has something special planned this weekend.

A few days ago, weather models began to hint at the potential of a major East Coast blizzard. As of early Tuesday morning, those models are way more insistent.

Since early Saturday, nearly every single run of every major model has shown the potential for a foot or two of snowfall on a track to hit somewhere between Northern Virginia and Boston. What’s amazing—perhaps even more so than the impressive potential snow totals—is that all the major weather models are already locked in so far in advance. Simply put: There’s definitely a big storm coming, it’s just the details that are still being worked out.

Predictably, meteorologist message boards have erupted in squeals of giddy joy, ogling the storm’s potential. One leading meteorologist on Twitter has already dubbed the storm a “blockbuster blizzard for the ages.” The person who literally wrote the textbook on major Northeast winter storms, Paul Kocin, wrote on Tuesday that this week’s storm is “textbook.” Another meteorologist called the storm’s predicted evolution “perfection.”

<snip>

It’s rare to see such a storm modeled at all, but the agreement so far in advance greatly boosts confidence that the storm will actually happen. While it’s still uncertain which specific cities will get hit hardest, the bull’s-eye seems to be on the mid-Atlantic. The National Weather Service office with responsibility for the Baltimore-Washington area has already begun to warn of a high impact snowstorm bearing “significant travel delays, closures, and threats to life and property.” But the storm won’t be a slouch in New York City or Boston—a foot or so of snow is likely in those cities, too.

The storm won’t arrive until Friday, but the setup is already looking nearly ideal: A strong blocking high pressure center over Quebec will supply enough cold air to ensure that very little of the storm’s moisture will fall as rain, and a powerful low pressure center will rapidly strengthen as the storm likely slows to a crawl off the New Jersey shore at peak strength. The result will almost certainly be heavy snow between Friday evening and Sunday morning for much of the East Coast, with an extended period of whiteout conditions and thundersnow on Saturday in the hardest hit areas. Hurricane force wind gusts will increase the potential for large and damaging storm surges along the beaches, combined with higher than normal high tides coming near the full moon.

More: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/01/19/east_coast_blizzard_will_impact_washington_new_york_boston.html

Lol! I thought Florida was supposed to be underwater! And the oceans were supposed to boil.?

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Lol! I thought Florida was supposed to be underwater! And the oceans were supposed to boil.?

Global Warming is not working out exactly as they planned.

Sad when so many don't pay attention and end up in trouble or getting some rescue worker into trouble because of their thinking 'it can't happen to me'. Summer tires, no coat, no boots... it's winter, be ready for it.

1 hour ago, CGK said:

Global Warming is not working out exactly as they planned.

That's why they switched it to "Climate Change". 

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Speaking of Climate Change..Where has Al Gore been hiding out these days?

The good news about this storm is, it looks like DC is going to get hammered.  Darn, King Putt wont be able to play golf  for a day or two.

The biggest snowstorm of the winter season thus far is increasingly likely to hammer parts of the East late this week into the weekend with heavy snow, high winds and coastal flooding.

The big five cities of the Northeast corridor – Washington, D.C., Baltimore, Philadelphia, New York, and Boston – need to pay attention to the forecast this week as a high-impact storm with moderate to heavy snow and strong winds may affect one or more of those metropolitan areas from late Friday into early Sunday.

http://www.wunderground.com/news/snow-ohio-valley-middle-atlantic-northeast

It's headed right for me, some say 20-30 inches we could get.  I've been thru worse, not a lot worse, but around 44 inches or so in 1 storm.

I put in a request for a pass from this storm.  

If that fails I plan on setting up my big speakers outside and doing a playlist of Youtubes with 10 hours of Walker Texas Ranger theme song with Chuck Norris on vocals..... no storm would dare head straight on into Chuck Norris singing.

Even the Jedi know not to mess with Chuck.

This video also works on neighbors who piss you off.

:tomcruise:

1 person likes this

29 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

And El Nino, a favorite weather catch-all.

As usual DelaWHERE is iffy. Being on the ocean we're usually right on the line between blizzard and deluge. All stocked up on essentials, though dangerously low on Coffee. :sor:

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal has declared a state of emergency for 15 counties ahead of an expected winter storm.

“The winter storm is predicted to cause snow and ice accumulations on roads and bridges in affected areas, and the safety of our residents is my top priority” Deal said in a statement. "I’ve directed the Georgia Emergency Management Agency/Homeland Security (GEMA/HS) to coordinate with the Georgia Department of Transportation, the Department of Public Safety and the Department of Natural Resources to move assets to area where snow and ice are expected. GEMA/HS will work with local officials, including those school systems, to ensure resources are available as needed.”

http://www.11alive.com/story/weather/2016/01/18/2-systems-could-bring-wintry-mix-north-georgia-week/78974092/

9 hours ago, CGK said:

Georgia Gov. Nathan Deal has declared a state of emergency for 15 counties ahead of an expected winter storm.

“The winter storm is predicted to cause snow and ice accumulations on roads and bridges in affected areas, and the safety of our residents is my top priority” Deal said in a statement. "I’ve directed the Georgia Emergency Management Agency/Homeland Security (GEMA/HS) to coordinate with the Georgia Department of Transportation, the Department of Public Safety and the Department of Natural Resources to move assets to area where snow and ice are expected. GEMA/HS will work with local officials, including those school systems, to ensure resources are available as needed.”

http://www.11alive.com/story/weather/2016/01/18/2-systems-could-bring-wintry-mix-north-georgia-week/78974092/

I'm amazed at this trend of preemptive declarations of emergencies. Almost seems like they do it so nobody sues them if they don't get aid in time. Granted, in the East & south Ice is the worst case scenario - downed trees and power can take weeks to prepare.

2 hours ago, BlueHawK said:

I'm amazed at this trend of preemptive declarations of emergencies. Almost seems like they do it so nobody sues them if they don't get aid in time. Granted, in the East & south Ice is the worst case scenario - downed trees and power can take weeks to prepare.

I am tryin to let all my people know!!i beleive this is going to leave alot of people with out power!!!and the southeast is never ready for any type od snow.schools close IF THERE MIGHT BE an inch of snow

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.