Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

A Point of View: Is it time for a new British national anthem?

3 posts in this topic

In the week that MPs debated a new national song for England, Tom Shakespeare wonders whether it's time for the UK to consider an alternative to God Save the Queen.

After the terrible events in Paris on 13 November 2015, we heard a lot about the French national anthem, the Marseillaise - including when the members of the French National Assembly spontaneously burst into song, and even at the England-France football match at Wembley a few days later. It was all very stirring, not just because the brutality of the terrorist outrage was so horrifying, but also because of the anthem itself. Let's overlook the fact that the lyrics are very gory, full of impure blood soaking fields and tigers mercilessly ripping their mother's breast. The point is that La Marseillaise sounds marvellous, and brings a tear to the eye. In other words, it is does the job of a national anthem, which is rallying "les citoyens", superbly.

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-35312314

the world is very familiar with the current anthem..i say, lets preserve traditions.

An alternative to God Save the Queen? how about all praise allah... since that seems to be the way the uk is going. Just gimme a heads up in advance so i can pack my shit and leave with the rest of the british people to other countries....

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Ukshep said:

Just gimme a heads up in advance so i can pack my shit and leave with the rest of the british people to other countries....

200 years ahead of you in that regard, mate. :chuckle:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.