Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Ukshep

Soon i will move from buying takeaways for ease due to work and lack of time to growing my own shit!

14 posts in this topic

Soon i will move from buying takeaways for ease due to work and lack of time to cooking to growing my own shit! and relying on no one while saving tons of cash.

yes i am in the process of buying 2 poly tunnels and have seeds and equipment to grow my own food for 10 months of the year :d this is gunna save me soo much dough. And make me more secure in off-grid terms :)

any tips for those who already grow? im an experienced grower in terms of a past history in cultivation of certain smoke-able plants. hehe but yes this is exciting. Its a paradigm shift in my life and only a month or two away from beginning.

3 people like this

Know your enemy! 

I hate these things! The ants keep them as prisoners and carry them to the plants. I'm not sure if ants are Fascist or Marxist... end result is the same. lol 

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

Know your enemy! 

I hate these things! The ants keep them as prisoners and carry them to the plants. I'm not sure if ants are Fascist or Marxist... end result is the same. lol 

kpLvj9p.gif

9 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Know your enemy! 

ugh ty for the creepy spine tingling feeling!

I just watched this so I could learn how to do it. Plant this when the weather is cool, not summer. 

4 hours ago, Cinnamon said:

Know your enemy! 

Ewww.... I hate them too.

4 hours ago, Ukshep said:

ugh ty for the creepy spine tingling feeling!

Master gardener in training: Ladybugs are good, but lacewings and mantises may be better

The goodwill ambassador of biological controls is the ladybug — cute, available at nurseries and able to eat 50 aphids a day. Ladybugs should be released at night, when they’re less likely to fly away for the garden next door (though they may do that the next day anyway).

Lesser known is the green lacewing, a.k.a. the aphid lion, pictured above. Lacewings may not be icons like ladybugs, but they can eat soft-bodied insects 20 times faster. Lacewing eggs — 1,000 fit in a pea — will hatch quickly, and because they lack wings, they will stay put in vegetable beds or in container plantings. 

Praying mantises will eat anything that comes their way. Do not let the eggs hatch before you put them out (in the crotch of a tree, preferably). Mantises have terrible eyesight and will eat the first thing in their path — including siblings. Like lacewings, mantises do not fly. (That's a mantis egg sack, at right.)

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/home_blog/2010/06/master-gardener-uc-extension-beneficial-insects-good-bugs.html

I became ladybugophobic after a horrible infestation of vile Asian beatles which I thought were ladybugs so I would go with the praying mantises myself.

I've read spraying your plants lightly with 3% H2O2 kills aphids. I use aspartame to kill ants.

2 minutes ago, Brio said:

I've read spraying your plants lightly with 3% H2O2 kills aphids. I use aspartame to kill ants.

Hey Brio, I think aspartame was originally meant to be an insecticide before Rumsfeld pressured the FDA to approve it as a sweetener for human consumption. Do you just buy some of the sweetener and sprinkle it around or what? I have a real ant problem here in the summer, all kinds of them. 

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Hey Brio, I think aspartame was originally meant to be an insecticide before Rumsfeld pressured the FDA to approve it as a sweetener for human consumption. Do you just buy some of the sweetener and sprinkle it around or what? I have a real ant problem here in the summer, all kinds of them. 

Naw, I swipe little packets of it at the coffee shop. I mostly leave ants alone unless they're where I don't want them, you don't need much and it really does work. 5 or 6 single serving packets did my little garden.

1 minute ago, Brio said:

Naw, I swipe little packets of it at the coffee shop. I mostly leave ants alone unless they're where I don't want them, you don't need much and it really does work. 5 or 6 single serving packets did my little garden.

I don't bother them until they're destroying my plants. Thanks for the info! Maybe it'll keep them away this time, there are several types of ants here, red and black ones. Some bite, especially when you're sweating. 

1 minute ago, Cinnamon said:

I don't bother them until they're destroying my plants. Thanks for the info! Maybe it'll keep them away this time, there are several types of ants here, red and black ones. Some bite, especially when you're sweating. 

Oh, it works, quite quickly too. You may need more for the bigger nasty bighters, idk. I know a young teller at the gas bar was complaining about carpenter ants on her window sills, I told her about aspartame, she told me later that she sprinkled aspartame (swiped from the gas bar coffee counter no doubt LOL) and the ants were all dead the next day.

A neighbor and I have rather large plans for gardening this spring. I am tilling up 30ft X 80ft section of my back yard for a garden and helping them with about an acre and a half  for a "community" garden. 

We have quite a few pests to deal with down here, Scale insects being one of the biggest problems. (like tiny plant-leeches) 
http://www.planetnatural.com/pest-problem-solver/houseplant-pests/scale-control/

Having food to eat that I know is grown in clean soil and not coated in toxic pesticides is certainly going to be wonderful, but aside from that, that act of gardening, tending the plants, pulling weeds, et cetera... has physical/mental/spiritual health benefits that can't even be quantified.

Good luck Shep, and happy gardening! 

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.