Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guitar Doc

Internet speeds?

8 posts in this topic

Finally got my internet sorted out again. Been really bad interference from electric fences on the Farm next door that drops my service off. In the last 3 days I have probably had 3 hours of internet. I just had to post something somewhere to prove to my self it works again.

My internet service is DSL broadband in NZ. at the Ookla speed test I get 50ms latency download speed of 3.05Mbps. Made me wonder what that is like here probably at the far corner of the internet world compared to people much closer to the large DNS servers and various services.  Cost me $120NZD ($79USD converted) a month for my unlimited download and phone line.

What does it cost in other nations and how much faster can you guys get it? (just curious not data mining)

In NZ our internet bottle necks (in theory, it used with the slower dial up system for sure and the initial system first used by NZ telecom) at the Waihopi Spybase in Marlborough  (part of the Five eyes network. I can give people a bit more information on it as I have a ex army signal associate who used in during an international exercise) so we will never get the same speeds as other nations who use fibre optic splitters to piggy back the data without slowing down the stream.

All I know is that I live in the richest nation in the world, and we pay the most for the slowest speeds, while South Korea's net flows as cheep and freely as watered down booze from Moe's Tavern. 

For the longest time I've beleived that the net should be a flat rate, favorable to the lowest ecomically challenged (pc for poor ppl), and never, and I mean EVER, edited. Should be the freest forum of speech and communication on the planet. They act like it costs a great deal to keep this all up and going but, and I hate to repeat myself from other posts, but when you're 14 trillion in debt, that tells me one thing: Money is a lie. It's a bad joke used to keep people in place. The chains that bind us. I know it's a pipe dream that the world would ever be so open and free. But I believe that we are made in the image of God, and therefore are more than capiable of doing it right, the first time, and if not, repairing it at any time. So I dream pipe dreams, and enough people believe in the dream, you can literally change the world. It's why God didn't put a date on the end of the world, we have more control over that matter than we like to admit because it's easier to just blame anything, something.

1 hour ago, Last1oftheJedi said:

All I know is that I live in the richest nation in the world, and we pay the most for the slowest speeds, while South Korea's net flows as cheep and freely as watered down booze from Moe's Tavern. 

For the longest time I've beleived that the net should be a flat rate, favorable to the lowest ecomically challenged (pc for poor ppl), and never, and I mean EVER, edited. Should be the freest forum of speech and communication on the planet. They act like it costs a great deal to keep this all up and going but, and I hate to repeat myself from other posts, but when you're 14 trillion in debt, that tells me one thing: Money is a lie. It's a bad joke used to keep people in place. The chains that bind us. I know it's a pipe dream that the world would ever be so open and free. But I believe that we are made in the image of God, and therefore are more than capiable of doing it right, the first time, and if not, repairing it at any time. So I dream pipe dreams, and enough people believe in the dream, you can literally change the world. It's why God didn't put a date on the end of the world, we have more control over that matter than we like to admit because it's easier to just blame anything, something.

So speeds aren't that good?

I thought the US got internet for cheaper than what I pay. Far more services to choose from. We probably have 10 or less internet providers over here and some are very specialized. NZ telecom and Vodafone sit at the top controlling most of the access, they lease out to the the smaller firms. There are a couple of satellite providers for people in the isolated areas, but they don't have great bandwidth.

S Korea and Japan have very fast speeds. If you are an online gamer you need very low latencies of you can't compete. I had a friend who moved to Japan so he could be near the top of his gaming field.

3 minutes ago, Guitar Doc said:

So speeds aren't that good?

I thought the US got internet for cheaper than what I pay. Far more services to choose from. We probably have 10 or less internet providers over here and some are very specialized. NZ telecom and Vodafone sit at the top controlling most of the access, they lease out to the the smaller firms. There are a couple of satellite providers for people in the isolated areas, but they don't have great bandwidth.

S Korea and Japan have very fast speeds. If you are an online gamer you need very low latencies of you can't compete. I had a friend who moved to Japan so he could be near the top of his gaming field.

we have one service provider out there. there were two, but at&t fall off after too many were like, "This is the literal worst service ever", not just me, literally 100s, maybe thousands, all were like, "f*** at&t", and now we have who provides our service. I think it's like 50 or 60 a month. Nothing wild but not exactly cheap, but better than at&t, not because Vibe had to be, but because they chose to be. So i support thier company, as it's more "let's do it right", than "let's milk these fools"

Edited by Last1oftheJedi
our 2 out

i used to have so much conflicts with my internet speeds in the past. because i wasnt "connected" only through wireless. though now i do have somewhat stable connection with zero packet loss. "pinnng!" my download speed right now is around 95.5mbps while upload is at 6.5mbps

47 minutes ago, Storm cat said:

i used to have so much conflicts with my internet speeds in the past. because i wasnt "connected" only through wireless. though now i do have somewhat stable connection with zero packet loss. "pinnng!" my download speed right now is around 95.5mbps while upload is at 6.5mbps

Wow. Those are mythical speeds here in NZ. Thanks. I always wondered how fast some connections are.

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Guitar Doc said:

Wow. Those are mythical speeds here in NZ. Thanks. I always wondered how fast some connections are.

salutations guitar doc bro. we have comcast btw. comcast isnt 100% reliable..few months ago, they tried to pull a fast one by throttling my internet. i called to complain, its all good now. i still call them comcrap

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.