Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

100 Whales Dead in India

10 posts in this topic

This is real doom! What is causing these Mammals to die? 

100 Whales Washed Ashore Near Bay of Bengal Coast in Tamil Nadu

Around 100 whales have been washed ashore in Tuticorin , Tamil Nadu, since last night.

According to officials, the fishermen dragged many of the beached whales back into the sea but they keep returning to the shores near Manapadu and Kallamozhi villages.

Carcasses of 30 baleen whales were found washed ashore near the Tiruchendur beach in this district early today while 250 of the same species have been stranded in shallow waters, officials said.   

Efforts are on to push the stranded sea mammals into deep waters even as a team of top officials of the fisheries department have rushed to the spot to conduct a probe.    

"This is an unusual thing...an unusual mortality incident, we have to find out the reason," Marine Scientist Velumani at the fisheries department, told PTI.        

"There could be many reasons...navy sonars could have caused it...or pollution...the reason is not immediately known and we don't want to speculate," Assistant Director of Tuticorin fisheries department, Amal Xavier, said.   

More:

http://www.newindianexpress.com/states/tamil_nadu/100-Whales-Washed-Ashore-Near-Bay-of-Bengal-Coast-in-Tamil-Nadu/2016/01/12/article3224219.ece

45 whales die in Tamil Nadu, experts hint at underwater disturbance

At least 45 whales died after they washed ashore overnight on a beach in Tamil Nadu’s Tuticorin district, officials said on Tuesday, with experts attributing the deaths to a possible underwater disturbance like an earthquake or volcano.

<snip>

It appears the whales are in shock. It mainly happened due to unusual activity deep inside the sea,” said a scientist with the Chennai-based Central Marine Fisheries Institute. A team of experts have also rushed to the village for an on-the-spot assessment of the cause.

http://www.hindustantimes.com/india/120-whales-wash-ashore-on-tamil-nadu-coast-31-die-despite-rescue-efforts/story-X5gb4kKPYQRrlsmJ9rviiP.html

Whalefacts writes that “Another common concept adopted by some marine biologists and scientists is that man-made sonar may be interfering with a whales echolocation and/or natural brain wave activity causing whales to become disoriented or sick forcing them to flee towards shallow waters where they end up beaching themselves.”

http://www.thenewsminute.com/article/why-have-whales-washed-shores-tamil-nadu-explained-37591

Pilot whales are gregarious whales and frequently found with other, smaller cetaceans. They are one of the largest members of the dolphin family. The general appearance of short- and long-finned whales is similar. Long-finned whales' flippers are one-fifth or more of their body length; short-finned whales are one-sixth. Short-finned pilots have fewer teeth than their long-finned relations.

One of the mysteries of whale behavior is the tendency of some species to beach themselves. Probably the most common cetacean to strand is the pilot whale. The reasons for this behavior are not understood. It is speculated that perhaps parasitic infestations interfere with the animals' hearing or receiving faculties; underwater sounds confuse the animals; they are fleeing from predators; or it is a form of mass "suicide." It has been suggested that mass strandings could be caused by navigational errors made by whales in regions characterized by anomalies in the Earth's magnetic field.

http://www.savethewhales.org/pilot.html

Heads up...There could be a huge quake coming.

The stranding of so many dolphins has prompted comparisons with a similar incident in 2011, when 50 melon headed whales beached themselves on a nearby coast just six days before a magnitude-9 earthquake struck offshore, triggering a massive tsunami that devastated hundreds of miles of coastline and leaving around 18,000 people dead.

Commentators have also pointed out that 107 pilot whales beached themselves in New Zealand in February 2011, just two before a major quake hit the city of Christchuch, while the December 2004 quake in the Indian Ocean was preceded by more than 170 whales being stranded on beaches in Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/11531987/Deaths-of-100-dolphins-in-Japan-triggers-speculation-of-earthquake.html

1 person likes this

46 minutes ago, CGK said:

Heads up...There could be a huge quake coming.

The stranding of so many dolphins has prompted comparisons with a similar incident in 2011, when 50 melon headed whales beached themselves on a nearby coast just six days before a magnitude-9 earthquake struck offshore, triggering a massive tsunami that devastated hundreds of miles of coastline and leaving around 18,000 people dead.

Commentators have also pointed out that 107 pilot whales beached themselves in New Zealand in February 2011, just two before a major quake hit the city of Christchuch, while the December 2004 quake in the Indian Ocean was preceded by more than 170 whales being stranded on beaches in Australia and New Zealand.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/11531987/Deaths-of-100-dolphins-in-Japan-triggers-speculation-of-earthquake.html

Thanks for the heads-up! Truly sad to see, the earthquake-link sounds really plausible - hoping it's not a disaster for us on land as well as our sea brethren

1 minute ago, BlueHawK said:

Thanks for the heads-up! Truly sad to see, the earthquake-link sounds really plausible - hoping it's not a disaster for us on land as well as our sea brethren

I'm researching this right now. My suggestion is for everyone to keep any eye on their animals behavior.  Animals always know before we do.

21 minutes ago, CGK said:

I'm researching this right now. My suggestion is for everyone to keep any eye on their animals behavior.  Animals always know before we do.

Face Palm!!!!!!! I should listen to my own advice.

Yesterday I was sitting in my office and a bunch of birds were squawking outside my window. They were loud and would not stop. I went outside to discover one of my trees covered in BIG crows. I started yelling at them to go away. "Quit squawking, you are hurting my ears, go find another tree to hang out in."  They wouldn't leave and I got tired of yelling at them so I went back inside. Then I thought, that was really strange. I hope those crows don't mean impending death.

:hiding:

17 minutes ago, CGK said:

Face Palm!!!!!!! I should listen to my own advice.

Yesterday I was sitting in my office and a bunch of birds were squawking outside my window. They were loud and would not stop. I went outside to discover one of my trees covered in BIG crows. I started yelling at them to go away. "Quit squawking, you are hurting my ears, go find another tree to hang out in."  They wouldn't leave and I got tired of yelling at them so I went back inside. Then I thought, that was really strange. I hope those crows don't mean impending death.

:hiding:

P4xXP0F.gif

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.