Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Brio

Mindlessly Follow Orders, Hand Over Personal Details To A Complete Stranger

5 posts in this topic

I did edit 'Americans' out of the title 'cause I'm damn sure Canadians wouldn't answer any different.

Edited by Brio
2 people like this

:blink: Oh my gosh! 
I'm willing to bet everyone of those people went through the public education system.

Good observation. I went through the public ed system and the last time I went to the dentist I answered all their question that had f.a. to do with my teeth then later going 'wtf just happened there?' And WHY??? did i give them so much info about me?

eta. a sales clerk wants my name and phone #, email, I say "no thanks" even had one or two that didn't know how to complete the sale without that info, but a dentist asks and I'm a blabberin personal info. :facepalm:

Edited by Brio

28 minutes ago, Brio said:

Good observation. I went through the public ed system and the last time I went to the dentist I answered all their question that had f.a. to do with my teeth then later going 'wtf just happened there?' And WHY??? did i give them so much info about me?

eta. a sales clerk wants my name and phone #, email, I say "no thanks" even had one or two that didn't know how to complete the sale without that info, but a dentist asks and I'm a blabberin personal info. :facepalm:

I'm guilty of that too.
I tend to just blab when I'm nervous and I'm always nervous when I go to a doctor or dentist.
It's a common reaction to authority figures and public school conditions us to obey.

Milgram summed up in the article “The Perils of Obedience” (Milgram 1974), writing:

The legal and philosophic aspects of obedience are of enormous import, but they say very little about how most people behave in concrete situations.  I set up a simple experiment at Yale University to test how much pain an ordinary citizen would inflict on another person simply because he was ordered to by an experimental scientist. Stark authority was pitted against the subjects’ [participants’] strongest moral imperatives against hurting others, and, with the subjects’ [participants’] ears ringing with the screams of the victims, authority won more often than not. The extreme willingness of adults to go to almost any lengths on the command of an authority constitutes the chief finding of the study and the fact most urgently demanding explanation.”

http://www.simplypsychology.org/milgram.html

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.