Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Doctors can report some mentally ill patients to FBI under new gun control rule

21 posts in this topic

Delivering on its promise to deliver "common sense" gun control, the Obama administration on Monday finalized a rule that enables health care providers to report the names of mentally ill patients to an FBI firearms background check system.
The action was one of a series of steps that President Barack Obama had called for in January 2013 in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings to curb gun violence, but the rule was not published until today.

While the 1993 Brady law prohibits gun ownership by individuals who have been involuntarily committed, found incompetent to stand trial or otherwise deemed by a court to be a danger to themselves or others, federal health care privacy rules prohibited doctors and other providers from sharing information without the consent of their patients.

Under the rule, which takes effect next month, for the first time health providers can disclose the information to the background check system without legal repercussions.

“The disclosure is restricted to limited demographic and certain other information needed for NICS purposes,” the rule states. Disclosure of diagnostic or clinical information is prohibited.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/obama-gun-control-rule-mental-illness-217340#ixzz3wLoMAuey

What does this say about the effectiveness of psychiatric care? And what does this say about doctor/client privileges? If someone is threatening to kill someone, that's illegal and there are laws dealing with that already. 

1 person likes this

MEANING? everyone under duress due to a health issue like cancer is now mentally unstable and cannot own a gun? basically? right? if the doctor wishes to report them.... i see this as being abused! f*** obama

Read the comments!

I just want to slap this friggin idiot

"You have due process. It's called an appeal. You simply show up and demonstrate to the court that you are not a crazy person and you can be trusted with a weapon. Happens to regular Americans all the time. In fact I was just listening to "Handle on the Law" which you right wing nuts probably know about bc it comes on the Fox Radio station on Sundays and he got a call about that same issue. Guy's wife got committed for two days like 8 years prior. Only two days, stable marriage, job and kids now etc etc. Handle said he just needs to appeal the ruling and show she is OK now. He didn't think it would be a problem."

11 hours ago, DarkKnightNomeD said:

Read the comments!

I just want to slap this friggin idiot

"You have due process. It's called an appeal. You simply show up and demonstrate to the court that you are not a crazy person and you can be trusted with a weapon. Happens to regular Americans all the time. In fact I was just listening to "Handle on the Law" which you right wing nuts probably know about bc it comes on the Fox Radio station on Sundays and he got a call about that same issue. Guy's wife got committed for two days like 8 years prior. Only two days, stable marriage, job and kids now etc etc. Handle said he just needs to appeal the ruling and show she is OK now. He didn't think it would be a problem."

What an idiot. First of all, how long will it take for the court case to be heard? Our courts are so backed up now, it would be years and years until you could appeal the decision.

Second, once something is in a medical record, it is nearly impossible to have it removed. I have a friend who has been a surgeon for over 40 years.  He was sick, went to a hospital where he is on Staff and the ER doc diagnosed that he had a stroke. After 2 days in the hospital, he was discharged with "stroke" on his record. To make a long story short, he did not have a stroke but was bitten by a poison spider which resulted in symptoms that mimicked a stroke.  He has tried for months to get the "stroke diagnosis" off his medical records at the hospital level.  And this is a Doctor trying to clean up his own medical record. What do you think would happen to the average person who tries to appeal a diagnosis in court? Good luck with that!

Gods. Talk about our rights being usurped. Having had my life wrecked by the so-called "mental health systems" of two countries, this IS insanity. The so-called psychologists and psychiatrists are nothing more than DIY frauds. I was in a health and emotional trainwreck, partly due to the wife having invited in a kid with drug issues, asked my LAST ever shrink if my reactions to all the foolishness was "normal", "Sane". His reply was simple. "I can't tell you that, you have to decide for yourself if You think you are thinking 'properly'". My reply as I laughed my way out of the office - "Then exactly what the HE77 is your so-called therapy good for if you can't even check me, help me know if I'm rational or not?!!?"

Idiots like that are now a New Branch of the Government?!!?!? So completely DOOMED.

:JSfrXsb::JSfrXsb::JSfrXsb::JSfrXsb::JSfrXsb::JSfrXsb::JSfrXsb::JSfrXsb:

Doctors have always had the rights to report anything illegal or possibly illegal with their patients, or any fear they may have that the patient will "do something". Most do not, and that will continue. Once you turn in a patient, you have broken the trust and will lose your other patients.

1 person likes this

49 minutes ago, puffyjedi said:

Doctors have always had the rights to report anything illegal or possibly illegal with their patients, or any fear they may have that the patient will "do something". Most do not, and that will continue. Once you turn in a patient, you have broken the trust and will lose your other patients.

I think what's scary and sort of new is that we'll see the government *pressuring* doctors to actively LOOK for ways to apply this. Since Obamacare kicked in, the procedures my doctor has to go through while he's supposed to be working with me are ridiculous. Constant typing, filling in forms while talking to me, it's a nightmare. I can see Them finding ways to make it more odious for them.

Here's what new about it:

for the first time health providers can disclose the information to the background check system 

1 person likes this

Next up:

Conspiracy theorists = crazy

The real crazy is that people who can still think for themselves are outside the norm.

It is no diffrent as to how the Soviet Union and East Germany were run.  These are Stasi tactics.  The USSA is living up to its name alright.

Posted (edited)

On 5/01/2016 at 8:00 PM, Cinnamon said:

Delivering on its promise to deliver "common sense" gun control, the Obama administration on Monday finalized a rule that enables health care providers to report the names of mentally ill patients to an FBI firearms background check system.
The action was one of a series of steps that President Barack Obama had called for in January 2013 in the wake of the Newtown, Conn., shootings to curb gun violence, but the rule was not published until today.

While the 1993 Brady law prohibits gun ownership by individuals who have been involuntarily committed, found incompetent to stand trial or otherwise deemed by a court to be a danger to themselves or others, federal health care privacy rules prohibited doctors and other providers from sharing information without the consent of their patients.

Under the rule, which takes effect next month, for the first time health providers can disclose the information to the background check system without legal repercussions.

“The disclosure is restricted to limited demographic and certain other information needed for NICS purposes,” the rule states. Disclosure of diagnostic or clinical information is prohibited.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2016/01/obama-gun-control-rule-mental-illness-217340#ixzz3wLoMAuey

What does this say about the effectiveness of psychiatric care? And what does this say about doctor/client privileges? If someone is threatening to kill someone, that's illegal and there are laws dealing with that already. 

This could cause some problems. According the American Psychiatric institute which sets what is a mental illness (the write the Big Book on mental illness classifications)everyone is suffering from mental illness (unfortunately this is true, but some mental illnesses are very minor things). Technically they could call it on anyone.

Doctor client confidentiality is actually to protect the Doctor not the patient. By not talking they get to keep secret their misdeeds and failings of procedure secret. Usually they will only talk after the patient is dead (and can't tell on them or expose their lack of correct procedure).

I agree. I even think people on anti-depressants shouldn't be allowed to drive either. I have seen the pilled-up Mums pick up their kids after school, they are impaired to drive as much as a drunk driver in my opinion.

As everyone is technically suffering from mental illness it also makes all your contracts invalid as well and you can't be held to them as you need to be sane for a contract to be applicable.

The quantification of Psychoanalysis in 1910 reveal 999 out of 1000 people are not fully rational but 70% of them will not know it (insanity prevents the victim from knowing they are insane and they will think they are normal). This is essentially what we see on CT sites, insane people acting as if they are sane and not understanding why there is so much conflict with others. The average person is insane and doesn't know it. Not howling at the moon insane, just insane over some aspect of their thinking or actions.

A UK study found that 70% of people thought their deficiency was actually a strength. To me that was when the penny dropped for me as to understanding those incomprehension actions of some people. Most of us would have gone to school with the kid who thought he was the King of Driving but was always crashing his cars. He didn't know he was a bad driver, he honestly thought he was the king of driving.

The madman doesn't know he is mad, he thinks he is rational and sane. I hope the penny now drops for those reading this as to why some people hold to certain opinions on CT sites as if they are true.

Do you guys really think someone who isn't fully rational has any business with a firearm of any sort?

Edited by Guitar Doc

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.