Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

CNN to host Obama town hall on guns in America

27 posts in this topic

Washington (CNN)President Barack Obama is mounting a final-year push to make gun control part of his legacy despite Republican opposition and is expected to announce unilateral action early this week.

He will join CNN's Anderson Cooper Thursday for an exclusive one-hour live town hall on gun control at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia, in hopes of mounting a final pitch to the public.

It's an issue he has had zero success on so far in his presidency, despite his repeated, emotional appeals for change. Congress has remained a roadblock even in the face of widespread public support for Obama's past calls for universal background checks or bolstered mental health support, with near uniform opposition from Republicans and a split on the issue among Democrats.

Obama will sit down with Cooper at 8 p.m. ET for the event, titled "Guns in America." The event's timing coincides with the fifth anniversary, next Friday, of the shooting of former Rep. Gabrielle Giffords, D-Arizona, in a rampage that left six dead and 13 others wounded.

In addition to discussing gun issues with Cooper, Obama will also take questions from the audience on the issue.

Obama has repeatedly expressed his frustration with Congress' inability to pass new gun laws, and has frequently spoken out about increased gun control in the wake of mass shootings.

Ahead of Thursday's town hall, Obama plans to meet Monday with Attorney General Loretta Lynch to discuss options for tougher gun restrictions. He is also expected to announce in the coming days a new executive action with the goal of expanding background checks on gun sales.

<snip>

http://www.cnn.com/2016/01/03/politics/barack-obama-guns-town-hall/index.html

Thursday, 8 PM ET.

We have enough laws, we have enough back ground checks. We also have a country that is handing out psyche drugs like candy.  Almost everyone I know is on SOMETHING! They are all tired, sick and no one is getting better, no matter how old they are, they're dying from this crap from the ages of 6 and up. Normal emotions, like anger, disgust and even depression are treated like something out of the ordinary and you are drugged accordingly. 

Out of a job and broke? Here, take a pill! No need to feel bad because you don't know how you're going to feed your kids or pay the frigging rent this month! You have a mental issue! 

This economy, even though they say it is better is not and I know that being broke and without hope will cause all kinds of negative emotions. They're all NORMAL!  What people need are jobs and hope for a future, both stolen by the assholes in charge of everything. 

Sorry, don't know how I went that direction, but when I was typing it, it seemed to fit. lol

Good it doesn't start till Thursday, that's a good rant. Have you ever seen THX 1138?

Heck, in DelaWHERE it's illegal for a shop to sell you a gun, and Ammunition on the same day. Already on the books for decades.

16 minutes ago, BlueHawK said:

Heck, in DelaWHERE it's illegal for a shop to sell you a gun, and Ammunition on the same day. Already on the books for decades.

When I bought my last gun, I had to wait 10 days, went through a background check and was told that if I got caught with ammo and the gun in the same compartment in the car when transporting them home, I'd be in big trouble with the law. 

4 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

When I bought my last gun, I had to wait 10 days, went through a background check and was told that if I got caught with ammo and the gun in the same compartment in the car when transporting them home, I'd be in big trouble with the law. 

That's a really strange law. I've never heard that one. I know every state is different but here in Louisiana I can have it loaded sitting on my dash or heck just walk out with it on my hip open carry with out a permit. But as soon as you jacket covers it they consider it concealed and of course need a lic for that. I always have to wait when getting a gun and what I found out was that there's someone else with my same first and last name that could have some marks on their record, even tho the ssn is different they still put me on hold to check it out. 

22 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

I hadn't realized that Commifornia had gotten so bad. Here in Texas, I walked into a local sporting goods store, bought a shotty with ammo that took all of 15 minutes. Once you go rural, you'll never go back when you can live near shooting ranges and businesses that process dead deer.

I know, sooo romantic. :biggrin:

44 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

DE is fairly lucky, we've been an open carry state for a long time. Drives me nuts when the PTB pick apart things that essentially ARE infringing on gun rights. I mean, not allowing you weapon and ammo in the same compartment neuters the weapon. Sheeesh, can't wait to see what idiocy Obie comes up to try this time. :balk2:

I could win that in about 3 minutes with the old Vaders not bad it was his light saber. Take his light saber away and Vader would not be a problem. The light saber was evil not him. :-/ 

48 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Last time I bought ammo there was a sign behind the counter stating they couldn't sell guns to California residents.
Looks like you can't buy and take possession of it but can have it shipped to a FFL dealer there.

CALIFORNIA FIREARMS LICENSEE CHECK SYSTEM

California Penal Code Section 27555 prohibits all Federal Firearms Licensees (FFLs), other than Type 03 or 06 FFLs, from shipping firearms to an FFL in California unless, prior to delivery, the FFL intending to deliver, sell or transfer the firearms obtains a verification approval number from the California Department of Justice (CADOJ) Bureau of Firearms. This includes transfers that occur at gun shows.

The verification approval number, which the Bureau of Firearms provides in a Firearms Shipment Approval letter, confirms that the intended recipient of the firearm shipment is properly licensed and listed in the state's database of persons/entities authorized to receive firearm shipments. If the intended CA FFL recipient is not listed in the state's database, the transaction will result in a Do Not Ship letter, and it is a crime for the intended recipient to receive the firearms (Penal Code Section 28465).

http://oag.ca.gov/firearms/cflcoverview

I just called my gun shop and they can sell you a gun and have plenty in stock at the store, but now you have to pay 25.00 for a "test" and another 25.00 for the background check. 50 bucks before you get a f***ing thing!

1 hour ago, Cinnamon said:

In Texas they run the background check while you are standing in the store.  Usually within 30 minutes, you and your new gun will be out the door.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.