Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Giant Squid Makes Rare Appearance, Swims With Human

18 posts in this topic

Ink-redible: Giant squid makes rare appearance, swims with human

Locals in Japan’s Toyama Bay had a close encounter with a rare creature this week when a giant squid left its deep sea dwelling to swim into Mizuhashi port. The four-meter long squid was reportedly spotted by fisherman under their boats and stuck around to entertain a gathering crowd for several hours. Footage shows the red and white Architeuthis flailing its long limbs around as a diver gets a closer look of the majestic beast. Legends such as the Kraken sea monster have contributed to intrigue surrounding giant squids and, astonishingly, it wasn’t until the early 2000s that a picture of one in open ocean was captured.

http://www.rt.com/news/327658-swimming-with-giant-squid/

Wow, that's amazing! They've been trying to photograph a giant squid for years, I'm not sure if someone did before, but from what I know the only ones they studied were already dead. When I was on my research kick of studying sea monsters, I read that these things get so big that they used to sink smaller vessels at sea and there was one case where one tried to grab a really big ship and it left its "teeth" all along the side of the ship and they were gigantic. 

Still feel like taking a dip in the ocean?

Footage of an impressive giant squid filmed by Russian sailors has emerged online, with the animal attempting to steal the fishermen’s catch.
In the video, the squid is trying to eat a large fish, while the sailors prod the animal with a pole to drive it off.
The squid is about five times as big as the huge fish it tries to snatch. The massive creature makes a valiant attempt, but is eventually pushed away by the sailors.
It remains unclear which species of squid this one is. There are two: the giant squid which is long, and the colossal squid which is broader and even larger than its cousin.
Not much is known about the species because only a few specimens have ever been caught or captured on video.
Giant and colossal squids are about 12 meters in length.
“Its eyes are supposedly the largest in the animal kingdom, as big as a basketball perhaps. I mean bigger than my head, which is amazing to think about. And that’s so they can see in the dark,” Leslie Schwerin, who produced a documentary about giant squids, told the Discovery Channel.

7 minutes ago, Cinnamon said:

Wow, that's amazing! They've been trying to photograph a giant squid for years, I'm not sure if someone did before, but from what I know the only ones they studied were already dead. When I was on my research kick of studying sea monsters, I read that these things get so big that they used to sink smaller vessels at sea and there was one case where one tried to grab a really big ship and it left its "teeth" all along the side of the ship and they were gigantic. 

:IGly6RW: Tis where the legend of the Kraken comes from.

I'm surprised the Japanese didn't try to kill it.

Their fishermen round up and kill dolphins because they consider them pest competitors. If they had their way, they'd harvest all the fish in the sea. I rarely eat tuna, not just b/c of the dolphins, but b/c I hate to see the adult parents being killed in large numbers. Humans want to eat up the planet and turn the whole thing into a Disneyland happy happy place, with yuppie ghettos and manicured lawns.

1 hour ago, Sky Cat said:

:IGly6RW: Tis where the legend of the Kraken comes from.

I think so too. But i believe creatures were bigger back then :D and thus it may have been less legend and more fact.

Posted (edited)

3 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

I think so too. But i believe creatures were bigger back then :D and thus it may have been less legend and more fact.

Yup, I was about to say the same thing.  More bigger ones were around back then; however, there are still some big ones around!  There have been at least two fishing trawlers attacked by 'mysterious creatures' in current times.  One almost capsized.

Edited by Sky Cat

Just now, Sky Cat said:

Yup, I was about to say the same thing.  There were more more bigger ones back then; however, there are still some big ones around!  There have been at least two fishing trawlers attacked by 'mysterious creatures' in current times.  One almost capsized.

Might even be connected to the earth temperature, since animals shrink as the earth warms, at least that's what the study i read a while back said :D

Question is! does that mean a 30% increase in warming, makes them 30% smaller? :) and yes i know global warming is.....yeh! earth changes its temp naturally so its not an issue hehe

2 minutes ago, Ukshep said:

Might even be connected to the earth temperature, since animals shrink as the earth warms, at least that's what the study i read a while back said :D

Question is! does that mean a 30% increase in warming, makes them 30% smaller? :) and yes i know global warming is.....yeh! earth changes its temp naturally so its not an issue hehe

I'd say it's more than just temperature (which no-doubt does play a role.)

Last May I traveled to Haida Gwaii (used to be called the Queen Charlottes) off the West coast of B.C. part of the trip was to see if Fukushima had destroyed the ecology of the Pacific Ocean. I found nothing but vibrant ocean life. Hired a local to take me around on his little boat for a day, hired a tour co. to do a loop of Louise Island, if Fukushima has destroyed the Pacific, that squid doesn't know and neither does Haida Gwaii.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.