Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

gonzo hunter s thompson

3 posts in this topic

EXCLUSIVE The father I feared, loathed - and loved: Hunter S Thompson's son reveals a childhood with drink, drugs, guns, picnics and parties with Hells Angels and how he adored his 'alcoholic, idealistic' dad

He was a gun-loving, hard-drinking 'outlaw journalist' with a taste for illegal substances.

Hunter S. Thompson reached the peak of his literary career in the mid-Seventies after his books, Hell's Angels and Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas, were published to great success.

His writing broke from conventional reporting and straddled both fiction and non-fiction, a unique approach dubbed 'Gonzo journalism' which turned him into a counter-culture icon and won him legions of fans.

Fear and Loathing was adapted into a 1998 movie starring Johnny Depp as Hunter's surrogate writer persona, Raoul Duke.

And now, a decade after the writer committed suicide at his Colorado ranch, his only son, Juan Thompson, has written a memoir revealing the truth behind the myth of his brilliant but often troubled father.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376299/EXCLUSIVE-father-feared-loathed-loved-Hunter-S-Thompson-s-son-reveals-childhood-drink-drugs-guns-picnics-parties-Hells-Angels-adored-alcoholic-idealistic-dad.html

I knew Hunter back in the day. His ranch is in Woody Creek, Colorado.  Woody Creek is off highway 82, just down the road from Aspen and across from Snowmass Village.

Hunter used to hang out at Woody Creek Tavern and had his own bar stool at the end of the bar. One day we pulled up to the bar and everyone was running out because Hunter got pissed at someone who sat on his stool so he threw a bunch of smoke bombs in the bar.  That's one way to get your bar stool back!

Back in the day Woody Creek Tavern was a small dive bar with a pool table and bad food if the cook was sober enough to crank up the grill. Now they have made it fancy and turned it into a tourist trap for Thompson fans and spandex bicycle warriors. They even put in handicapped parking. I'm sure Hunter is rolling over in his grave over what they have done to his favorite bar.

3 minutes ago, CGK said:

I knew Hunter back in the day. His ranch is in Woody Creek, Colorado.  Woody Creek is off highway 82, just down the road from Aspen and across from Snowmass Village.

Hunter used to hang out at Woody Creek Tavern and had his own bar stool at the end of the bar. One day we pulled up to the bar and everyone was running out because Hunter got pissed at someone who sat on his stool so he threw a bunch of smoke bombs in the bar.  That's one way to get your bar stool back!

Back in the day Woody Creek Tavern was a small dive bar with a pool table and bad food if the cook was sober enough to crank up the grill. Now they have made it fancy and turned it into a tourist trap for Thompson fans and spandex bicycle warriors. They even put in handicapped parking. I'm sure Hunter is rolling over in his grave over what they have done to his favorite bar.

I never made it to Aspen but I imagine the Wood Creek Tavern is just as cool as the Bucksnort Saloon in Pine, CO.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.