Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Santa Fe "Doc" Has Died

4 posts in this topic

If you have ever been to Santa Fe, New Mexico and visited the Plaza you have probably seen Doc sitting on "his" bench.

Doc was a kind, colorful man, with piercing blue eyes who could captivated a person for hours with his story telling.

I had the pleasure of meeting him in April this year. I walked right up to him and said, I watch you on the Plaza Cam all the time. You are a legend!

We stuck up a conversation and he told me that he had been a computer programmer many years ago, but now he prefers a simple life, living on the side of a mountain in a tee pee with his pet wolf. I'm sure some people took one look at him and thought he was a crazy homeless man, but I can vouch for the fact Doc was one brilliant man!

I spent another afternoon walking around the Plaza with him as he visited with shop keepers and entertained me with his words of wisdom and tales of a colorful life.

Doc was a  old soul who touched my heart.  There is only one Doc in this world and he will be greatly missed by many. RIP Doc!

Here is the plaza cam and his bench. It looks like there is a memorial set up on Doc's bench.

http://www.santafean.com/webcam.html

One of Santa Fe’s most colorful characters died Tuesday in a building on the Santa Fe Plaza, where he long had been a constant presence, helping homeless people, giving guided tours and posing for photographs.

Tom “Doc” Murray, 77, who called himself the "last of the mountain men," died of natural causes in the Santa Fe Arcade at about 2 p.m. Tuesday, said Lt. Judah Montano of the Santa Fe Police Department. Authorities haven’t yet confirmed the cause of his death.

“Like him or not, he was a real fixture on the Santa Fe Plaza,” Santa Fe resident Stephen Fox said of Murray. “He always sat on the bench beneath the Web camera of the Plaza so he would be known all over the world.”

“He was as colorful on our Plaza as Santa Claus is to Macy’s,” said Randy Randall, executive director of Tourism Santa Fe, the city’s tourism bureau. “He represented what Santa Fe is — the other side of Santa Fe.”

Randall credited Murray with encouraging the city to open a visitor center on the Plaza last year.

“He indicated to me that he got a lot of tourist questions. People would either come up to him to talk or stay far away from him. But he was always kind and gracious,” Randall said.

Though he eschewed modern technology, last year Murray set up Doc’s Santa Fe Tours, complete with a website, in which he described himself as “a fifty-two year resident of Santa Fe and an insightful historian. I reside in the Sangre de Cristo Mountains with my lovely wife and am a lover of all things natural. I like the simple life and have a great appreciation for freedom and wildlife.”

In his website autobiography, Murray claimed he had traveled the world “from South America to New Zealand studying culture and native history.” He said nothing else about his life but boasted: “I can get you to and through the most beautiful mountain passes and overlooks you will ever see. I can get you the biggest trout of your life, get you closer to wild animals than you ever ever been and teach you parts of our history that you never knew existed.”

Murray told one person that he had served in the military and told another friend that he sometimes acted in movies shot in the region. He said he was from Vermont and called himself “Doc” because he claimed to have earned a doctorate “in something or other,” one acquaintance said.

More:  http://www.santafenewmexican.com/life/features/tom-doc-murray-fur-clad-plaza-fixture-dies/article_d898162a-96a7-5947-9fe8-8319093aaf5c.html

Here are some web pages about Doc

http://salliebingham.com/doc/

http://www.docstourssantafe.com/about-doc/

Lots of pictures of Doc on Google

https://www.google.com/search?q=Doc+Santa+Fe&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjhzK-lhYLKAhXKVD4KHYAoCPYQ_AUIBygB&biw=1079&bih=536

Awww, sorry to hear that CGK. I remember your stories about him after your trip. RIP Sante Fe Doc!

Thanks for reading and commenting Cinn and Lucy. I had to make a thread about Doc because he was one of the kindest most interesting men I have ever had the pleasure of meeting. The world has lost a real treasure!

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.