Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Cinnamon

Better learn to grow some food!

262 posts in this topic

Now is a good time to order seeds from catalogs or online. Just in case.........

2 people like this

4 minutes ago, grav said:

Now is a good time to order seeds from catalogs or online. Just in case.........

I can plant in Feb! yay! Cali weather! And start my seeds under light now!

I love Grand Rapids Leaf Lettuce.
It's so easy and keeps going and going.
http://motherhood.modernmom.com/grow-grand-rapids-lettuce-indoors-10542.html

It's a good idea to research what the Native Americans in your area grew and harvested.
Here in the PNW Camas grows wild everywhere. The blue is edible but the white is poisonous so you have to wait until it flowers.

Blue Camas and Other Edible Bulbs

http://honest-food.net/2011/07/21/blue-camas-and-other-edible-bulbs/

Hungry? Here's a Map of Every Urban Plant You Can Snack On

http://www.citylab.com/tech/2013/06/hungry-heres-map-every-urban-plant-you-can-snack/6054/

I love the tomato clothes line idea!
I'm going try that next year.
Thanks Cinnamon. 
:smile:

1 person likes this

Excellent time to think about spring planting. My husband gave me the greenhouse I asked for for Christmas :dgK4P0r: nothing fancy, just a metal frame with heavy plastic to go over. We get frost in mid July some years here, not heavy and doesn't last but enough to kill a garden, and I've given up on growing anything but peas. Not so this year, I'm going to maximize 10' x 10' of frost free growing.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Brio said:

Excellent time to think about spring planting. My husband gave me the greenhouse I asked for for Christmas :dgK4P0r: nothing fancy, just a metal frame with heavy plastic to go over. We get frost in mid July some years here, not heavy and doesn't last but enough to kill a garden, and I've given up on growing anything but peas. Not so this year, I'm going to maximize 10' x 10' of frost free growing.

Nice present! What are you going to grow in there? 

I'm growing lettuce, spinach, carrots in big pots on my back porch. This summer I got mirlitons, aka vegetable pears, to grow in a big (20 gal.) pot in my veggie garden. Urbanites can grow lots of edibles in pots. Tomatoes and bell peppers are so easy from seed. You get 100% germination of seeds. I grew both in pots this summer. Everyone should try to be a gardener. It's so frustrating to see friends and family who don't grow anything but flowers. :sad: Not knocking flowers. I prefer the ones that provide nectar for bees.

1 minute ago, grav said:

I'm growing lettuce, spinach, carrots in big pots on my back porch. This summer I got mirlitons, aka vegetable pears, to grow in a big (20 gal.) pot in my veggie garden. Urbanites can grow lots of edibles in pots. Tomatoes and bell peppers are so easy from seed. You get 100% germination of seeds. I grew both in pots this summer. Everyone should try to be a gardener. It's so frustrating to see friends and family who don't grow anything but flowers. :sad: Not knocking flowers. I prefer the ones that provide nectar for bees.

Everyone here is ripping out their lawns due to the drought. But it's been raining again, so hopefully things will get better and they won't put their lawns back in, but will grow something to eat. Okra plants are beautiful, the flowers are huge and tropical looking. I just found out okra is actually from Africa. :) Eggplants have nice flowers and are very ornamental looking. I grew some white eggplant, too.

I've never heard of mirlitons/vegetable pears. I need to look that up! Thanks, Grav! 

Thanks, I was sure happy.

Oh I don't know, I'm going to have to look into what we like and what will do well, this is a luxury for me lol. I need herbs, I know that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

12 minutes ago, Brio said:

Thanks, I was sure happy.

Oh I don't know, I'm going to have to look into what we like and what will do well, this is a luxury for me lol. I need herbs, I know that. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Definitely tomatoes! The ones at the stores here taste like... nothing.  It's amazing how they can make a veggie tasteless, isn't it?  (They do it with the apples too, unless they're organic, they're tasteless as well!) 

Yes, tomatoes are definitely on my list, they utilize space up! Love your idea about supporting them from above not bracing from below. And i do like canning tomatoes, they taste way different from what you buy in the grocery store. I have an outdoor burner (not allowed to can inside anymore lol) for my canner, works wonderfully.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.