Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Fourth echelon

lady bugs...cannibals?

8 posts in this topic

pretty lady birds are disease-ridden cannibals

Reputation: Ladybirds are pretty little beetles, adored by children for their black-on-red spottiness and friendly crawling-over-hand behaviour. Gardeners love them because they eat all those nasty aphids.

Reality: True, true. But there's more to ladybirds than this. Most are highly promiscuous. Sexually transmitted diseases are common. Many species show cannibalistic tendencies.

Are they called ladybirds or ladybugs? Whichever you prefer, the Coccinellidae (as scientists call them) are not quite what they seem.

For starters, many of the 5000-odd species look nothing like the bright and pretty stereotype forged during childhood (tweet this). There are 47 species in Britain, but only 26 have a classically ladybird-like appearance, says Helen Roy of the Centre for Ecology and Hydrology in Wallingford, UK, and head of the long-running UK Ladybird Survey.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150506-the-truth-about-ladybirds

Ladybugs are one of the most vile creatures on the planet.
They're poisonous, fungus infested, std carrying, foul smelling spotted little bastards!
And yes, they're also cannibals. The first larvae to hatch will eat the unhatched.

They're difficult to kill too. 
Other insects won't eat them because they're so toxic and disgusting.
Sticky traps are ineffective because of their shiny shell and poison doesn't work.
The only way I found to get rid of them is to suck them up in the vacuum.
But you have to empty it right away or they'll chew through the filter and the next time you turn it on you'll blow their dusty little carcasses all over the house.

Oh, and the ones with little white dots on they're cheeks bite!

:hiding:

They're poisonous, fungus infested, std carrying, foul smelling spotted little bastards!
And yes, they're also cannibals. The first larvae to hatch will eat the unhatched.

Sticky traps are ineffective because of their shiny shell and poison doesn't work.
But you have to empty it right away or they'll chew through the filter and the next time you turn it on you'll blow their dusty little carcasses all over the house.

Worse than fleas.  Almost

Worse than fleas.  Almost

​Yes!
They have no regard for personal space.
They'll just land on you for no good reason and sink their filthy spiky little feet into your clothing or hair like they've been personally invited to do so.

:scream:

​Yes!They have no regard for personal space.
They'll just land on you for no good reason and sink their filthy spiky little feet into your clothing or hair like they've been personally invited to do so.

:scream:

And lay eggs as they shit blood.  Worthless creatures. 

They are the "State Bug" here in Delaware. An avid macro photographer, I've been amazed not having seen a RED ladybug in the 6 years back from Canada. All we have now are the invasive "Asian Lady Beetles". which are Orange. Oh, and these evil little buggers invade homes every fall, BITE and swarm attack you!

Native ladybugs don't come indoors, Lucy. You have the Asian Lady Beetle, which was brought here decades ago by the agriculture "experts" as beneficial predators of pest insects.

One more example of our federal government at work. Ignorant know-it-alls who couldn't hit the ground with their hat. 

I live in the woods and have come to appreciate Nature's order. I kill non-native fire ants with orange oil and Dawn. I stomp roaches, imported from Germany. I only kill snakes if they're poisonous and too close to the house. But I'm organic and don't use pesticides.

So I encourage bees and other important insects. Spiders have gotten rid of stink bugs on my tomatoes. Native ladybugs keep aphids from eating up everything.

The real pests are the feds.They screw up everything. And you can't get rid of them or hide from the *#!?s.

You can't clear up the water until you get the pigs out of the creek.   

but..but weve aways regarded them as harmless and cute bugs that do good for our garden..this bit of news has got us re-thinking about these things

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.