Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lucy Barnable

Tamir Rice shooting: No charges for officers

6 posts in this topic

Prosecutors say the police officer who killed 12-year-old Tamir Rice outside a Cleveland recreation center last year won't face criminal charges. Neither will the other officer who was with him.

An Ohio grand jury decided not to indict Officers Timothy Loehmann and Frank Garmback, prosecutor Tim McGinty said Monday.

"Given this perfect storm of human error, mistakes and communications by all involved that day, the evidence did not indicate criminal conduct by police," McGinty said.

Loehmann, an officer-in-training, shot 12-year-old Tamir on November 22, 2014. Garmback was training him.

"It is likely that Tamir, whose size made him look much older and who had been warned his pellet gun might get him into trouble that day, either intended to hand it over to the officers or show them it wasn't a real gun," McGinty said. "But there was no way for the officers to know that, because they saw the events rapidly unfolding in front of them from a very different perspective."

It was "reasonable" to believe the officer who killed the boy believed Tamir was a threat, the prosecutor said, adding that the toy gun looked real.
-----
Tamir's family released a statement saying they were "saddened and disappointed by this outcome -- but not surprised."

"It has been clear for months now that Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Timothy McGinty was abusing and manipulating the grand jury process to orchestrate a vote against indictment," the statement said.
-----
Police officials in Cleveland will conduct an administrative review of the shooting now that the criminal investigation is completed, Mayor Frank Jackson said Monday after prosecutors announced the grand jury's decision.

It's possible the police officers involved could face disciplinary action if the committee set to review the case determines policies or procedures were violated, Cleveland Police Chief Calvin Williams said.

"Both of the officers are and will remain on restricted duty. They have been on restricted duty since this incident happened," he said. "That's part of our process, not to allow officers involved in critical incidents to go back out there into the fray. They will remain on restricted duty until we complete the administrative process."

http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/28/us/tamir-rice-shooting/index.html

It's a sad situation all around.

Well this should end well. I remember watching that video and thinking wow that child just got murdered! I was certain that this cop was going down. But I stand corrected! I know there's two systems one for them and one for us. But I didn't think they could get a free pass for this but I guess they need as much civil unrest as possible to bring about their plans! I guess time will tell what happens next 

Here's the video with the 911 call:

The caller says there's a guy with a pistol, it's prolly fake, but he's pointing it at everybody.
The officer at the end says shots fired, male down, black male, maybe 20.

It looks to me like the kid was playing gangster thug and intimidating people. 
He was 5'7" and at least 170 lbs. The cop couldn't have known how young he was.
12 is old enough to know you don't point a gun that looks so real at random strangers.
However, it's really sad that he lost his life at such a young age. I feel sorry for all involved.

18 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Here's the video with the 911 call:

The caller says there's a guy with a pistol, it's prolly fake, but he's pointing it at everybody.
The officer at the end says shots fired, male down, black male, maybe 20.

It looks to me like the kid was playing gangster thug and intimidating people. 
He was 5'7" and at least 170 lbs. The cop couldn't have known how young he was.
12 is old enough to know you don't point a gun that looks so real at random strangers.
However, it's really sad that he lost his life at such a young age. I feel sorry for all involved.

And see it's the facts that he was a man child that the media conveniently leaves out! They also show pics from when the kid was like 8 which makes the viewer think he was younger than he really was. I really had no idea that he was that big. But I guess that's part of the trick to fool the public to foment as much anger to get the outcome that they want! The pulled the same trick with that treyvon and mike brown. I mean Mikey was like 6'4" and 300lbs but again they don't tell you that. The media finds young pics and spins it to make the public think that the cops were totally in the wrong and only telling one half of the story. Thanks for the info?

1 person likes this

32 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

And see it's the facts that he was a man child that the media conveniently leaves out! They also show pics from when the kid was like 8 which makes the viewer think he was younger than he really was. I really had no idea that he was that big. But I guess that's part of the trick to fool the public to foment as much anger to get the outcome that they want! The pulled the same trick with that treyvon and mike brown. I mean Mikey was like 6'4" and 300lbs but again they don't tell you that. The media finds young pics and spins it to make the public think that the cops were totally in the wrong and only telling one half of the story. Thanks for the info?

Exact;y!
And gun control doesn't fit in with this one either.
He took the orange thing off so It did look like a real pistol.
If hand guns were to become illegal this kid would still have been shot.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.