Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

ALABAMA SLAMMED: Residents trapped underneath rubble as Christmas Day tornado ravages state

4 posts in this topic

Several people were trapped underneath rubble late Friday as another tornado touched down in north-central Alabama in the latest wave of severe weather that’s hammered the South during Christmas week, police said.

Lt. Sean Edwards, a Birmingham police spokesman, said trees are down and people are trapped in damaged houses, adding that several people were taken to hospitals for treatment of minor injuries.

The funnel was spotted by witnesses outside the city around 5 p.m. An hour later the National Weather Service confirmed that first responders were on the scene along Jefferson Avenue, a working class neighborhood outside Birmingham.

Concerned about her fellow neighbors, Ruthie Green went door-to-door in a coat and a bicycle helmet to check on neighbors after the storm and swept debris from her front porch as more emergency responders arrived in the neighborhood.

"I been listening to the news all day so I was kind of preparing," Green told the Associated Press. When the tornado warning came up on her iPad, Green said she ran to a closet.

"Then I heard the big roaring, it didn't last more than three minutes," Green said. "I just laid down and just kept praying."

Green said she was unsure of whether any neighbors had been injured or killed down the block where several homes were destroyed.

"We probably won't know anything until daylight comes," she said. "I'm hoping that everybody got out all right."

<snip>

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/12/26/residents-trapped-underneath-rubble-as-tornado-hits-alabama.html?intcmp=hpbt1

That's brutal. :sad: those poor people. I guess some would say it's their own fault (build your house on a volcano, you're gonna get lava in your living room - George Carlin) but they've got to live some where so you roll the dice... Sad.

Hoping they don't find any more victims. I don't know how anyone could stay sane with that kind of threat most of the time. I'd have to live in a mostly underground place, and the top would have to be darned near steel bunker.

Yep.  It was a fun time. 

Picture this.  Tornado sirens blaring - family huddled in downstairs den - idiot bils outside holding umbrellas over the turkey fryer.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.