Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Texas Removes Nativity Mockery from Capital Building

13 posts in this topic

God bless Greg Abbot for taking a stand on this nonsense and honoring what Christmas is all about.   They can take their non-denominational, nativity mockery and put it where the sun don't shine.

Governor Greg Abbott is calling a non-traditional nativity scene at the capitol a "mockery" of Christianity. That display has been removed just days before Christmas.

The nativity scene featured the Bill of Rights. Although it had permission to be there through the holiday, Abbott has pulled the plug.

A nativity display is something you often see during Christmas but this one is gaining a lot of criticism.

"This was a really indecent way to promote an agenda," says Nicole Hudgens, Texas Values.

The exhibit features the Bill of Rights in a manger surrounded by three Founding Fathers and the Statue of Liberty. They're shown worshipping the document, rather than Jesus Christ. It had been placed in the basement rotunda of the Capitol on December 18th.

On Tuesday, Governor Greg Abbott ordered that it be removed. It's something that religious rights group, Texas Values, agrees with.

"If you want to promote the Bill of Rights, that is something I can totally back up. But to do it in a way that mocks the Christian faith, is not only historically inaccurate but is not going to be in direct public interest," says Hudgens.

Governor Abbott sent a letter to the State Preservation Board saying they have "no obligation to approve displays that purposefully mock the sincere religious beliefs of others."

He also went on to say "the exhibit does not educate" the public. Instead it "promotes ignorance and falsehood as it suggests that George Washington, Benjamin Franklin and Thomas Jefferson worshipped the Bill of Rights in the place of Jesus."

More: http://www.fox7austin.com/news/local-news/60490010-story

2 people like this

God Bless Texas!

The removal comes a week after Abbott publicly expressed his support for a Nativity scene outside the city of Orange municipal building. He argued that the city had a Constitutional right to display the religious imagery. 

In his letter Tuesday, he cited the Constitution again. 

"The Constitution does not require Texas to allow displays in its Capitol that violate general standards of decency and intentionally disrespect the beliefs and values of many of our fellow Texans," Abbott wrote. 

The display is offensive, doesn't serve a public purpose and doesn't educate anyone, he wrote. 

"Far from promoting morals and the general welfare, the exhibit deliberately mocks Christians and Christianity," said Abbott's letter, which also called it a "juvenile parody." 

More: https://www.texastribune.org/2015/12/22/freedom-religion-display-ordered-removed-capitol/

He may be in a wheelchair but he does seem to stand up for the citizens of Christian persuasion. Being governor can't be an easy task these days with the wolf (fed) constantly at your door.

The display was erected by the Freedom From Religion Foundation, started by feminist, Anne Gaylor in Wisconsin.

Under her leadership the Freedom From Religion Foundation has grown from its initial three Wisconsin members to a national group with representation in every state and Canada.

http://ffrf.org/about/getting-acquainted/#who-we-are

Liberals are an invasive bunch, like noxious weeds.

I am of the unpopular opinion that no single religion should be on display in government buildings, and since it is completely unreasonable to try and display every religion, that no religion should be displayed.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, I give the FFRF 8/10 stars in trolling. The irony of the Governor being so eager to toss the Bill of Rights, Lady Liberty, and the founding Fathers out the door is not lost on me.

I'm not a card-carrying Christian, have a low opinion of religion in general. Well, the nativity scene is harmless symbol of a gentle faith. It didn't used to be. Think Spanish Inquisition and witch burnings. 

I really don't like to see them in front of guv buildings. It's all a facade anyway. The NWO rules all -- churches, politics, science, lawn care. What difference, at this point, does it make? --the only thing Hillary ever said that I agree with. Just shut up and pay your taxes, you citizen-slaves.

1 hour ago, RabidWolf said:

I am of the unpopular opinion that no single religion should be on display in government buildings, and since it is completely unreasonable to try and display every religion, that no religion should be displayed.

Anyway, credit where credit is due, I give the FFRF 8/10 stars in trolling. The irony of the Governor being so eager to toss the Bill of Rights, Lady Liberty, and the founding Fathers out the door is not lost on me.

I don't understand how a display of religion is offensive. o.o I watch people outside my own faith and belief wave proudly all day. Doesn't phase me. I had a teacher who's name I chose to withhold, if only because if he's still alive, i wish him no negatives by ever knowning me. ^.^; That said, people in my class at the time were like, "i'mma protest!" or equal to, a gay rights parade that was taking place in some days. Now, since this was late 90s, that was actually just everyone enjoying the band wagon. But my teacher had greater foresight. "I'm not going to go. I'm not going to mention it. I'm not going to give it any attention at all. That's exactly what they what. Agree, or disagree, they want a reaction." As I was in the middle of my "Prowrestling is as fake as it is awesome", that really hit a nail on head. 

Texas is right. And if a nativty offends you, then you need to thicken up some skin, bro, because life is way more rought than me and a billion others knowning Christ is Lord. 

6 minutes ago, Last1oftheJedi said:

I don't understand how a display of religion is offensive. o.o I watch people outside my own faith and belief wave proudly all day. Doesn't phase me. I had a teacher who's name I chose to withhold, if only because if he's still alive, i wish him no negatives by ever knowning me. ^.^; That said, people in my class at the time were like, "i'mma protest!" or equal to, a gay rights parade that was taking place in some days. Now, since this was late 90s, that was actually just everyone enjoying the band wagon. But my teacher had greater foresight. "I'm not going to go. I'm not going to mention it. I'm not going to give it any attention at all. That's exactly what they what. Agree, or disagree, they want a reaction." As I was in the middle of my "Prowrestling is as fake as it is awesome", that really hit a nail on head. 

Texas is right. And if a nativty offends you, then you need to thicken up some skin, bro, because life is way more rought than me and a billion others knowning Christ is Lord. 

Depends on who is doing the display, imo. I expect a church to display religious things, and private citizens to do the same. However, a government that is supposed to be representing all the people have no business singling out individual religions to put on display. Which is why I am opposed to any display at all, since trying to display every religion within a state is unrealistic.

To be clear, I am really drawing a line in the sand at the state and federal levels. Smaller communities actually are able represent all the faiths in their area and I have no problem with equal representation. 

1 person likes this

Y'all are right. We need total desperation of Church and State. With that being said....

I want  "IN GOD WE TRUST" taken off our money ASAP because I'm sure it is offensive to atheists, muslims, Hindus, devil worshipers, Buddhists, and a whole heap of other religions too.  I'm surprised the muslims in America even touch the stuff because its got to say somewhere in the Koran touching the word God  is forbidden.

Someone call King Put in Hawaii and tell him get his pen out. This "In God We Trust" crap has got to go right now because its not PC and is offending people.

:merryxmas:

1 hour ago, DarkKnightNomeD said:

@Last1oftheJedi @RabidWolf

Doesn't all this crap come from that Chunt, Madalyn O'Hair?

I don't even know who that is. What I know is this. RW is good ppl, and I get their point. My point is, so long as it doesn't enforce, or infringe, i couldn't give less f***s if the state wants to put a christmas tree in times square. at the same time, i get his point, no favortisim. Fine, i get that. But for heaven's sake instead of being politcally correct, how about we just all use a lil common sense on the matter? In that, I think we all agree.

1 hour ago, Last1oftheJedi said:

I don't even know who that is. What I know is this. RW is good ppl, and I get their point. My point is, so long as it doesn't enforce, or infringe, i couldn't give less f***s if the state wants to put a christmas tree in times square. at the same time, i get his point, no favortisim. Fine, i get that. But for heaven's sake instead of being politcally correct, how about we just all use a lil common sense on the matter? In that, I think we all agree.

How about a compromise that incorporates a little common sense? (probably too much to expect from any governing body, but what the heck!)

Most cities have numerous parks (supposedly public land for general use), so divide them up and let whomever (citizens or even elected officials using private funds) put up displays for their religion. States could do the same thing.

I should probably clarify my opinion a little more as saying " drawing a line in the sand at the state and federal levels " is a bit more vague that I intended. 

While I dislike seeing religious icons of any religion in capitol buildings and courthouses (the 2 places that are supposed to be for the people, meaning everyone) I have absolutely no problem with police stations, fire departments, post offices, and even schools decorating as they see fit. (as for the schools, that should be up to the parents. Any atheists who complain can set up a display of an empty box or something)

Being "PC" has strayed so far from anything resembling common sense it is like trying to compare an orangutan on PCP to a blueberry muffin. 

1 person likes this

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.