Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

"Full Cold Moon" to rise on Christmas Day and a Christmas Comet

11 posts in this topic

The Earth will be graced with a rare sight this Christmas: the first full moon to rise on the holiday in almost 40 years.

According to NASA, the full moon will reach its peak at 6:11 a.m. EST on Dec. 25. Not since 1977 has Christmas been brightened by a full moon, and it won't happen again until 2034.

The final full moon of the year is also known as the "Full Cold Moon" since it coincides with the beginning of winter. The winter solstice, officially marking the change of seasons, actually comes a few days earlier, just before midnight on Dec. 21.

"As we look at the moon on such an occasion, it's worth remembering that the moon is more than just a celestial neighbor," John Keller of NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, said in a statement. "The geologic history of the moon and Earth are intimately tied together such that the Earth would be a dramatically different planet without the moon."

<snip>

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/full-cold-moon-to-rise-on-christmas-day/

Just a heads up so you can go out and look in case you didn't know it was a full moon on Christmas. Only 4 shopping days left. lol

Bright meteors and a new comet for Christmas

<snip>

December brings a decent, possibly naked-eye comet as a Christmas present this month. Comet Catalina (C/2013 US10) is expected to cross the threshold of mag. 6.0 (the limit of naked-eye visibility) in the coming weeks, heading (hopefully) to a naked-eye magnitude of 5.0 in January. Having reached perihelion (closest approach to the sun) on Nov. 15, this comet is now moving away from the sun and heading closer to the Earth. Because Comet Catalina is a first-time visitor to this solar system from the Oort Cloud, exactly how bright it will get or if it may, in fact, fizzle altogether or even fragment, is unknown. However, at present, it can be seen as a bright, fuzzy ball in binoculars and scopes in the eastern, pre-dawn sky (about 90 minutes before sunrise). Fortunately for us here in the northern hemisphere, it will climb higher and higher in the eastern, pre-dawn sky as December progresses, passing through the constellation of Virgo – the Virgin around mid-month.

<snip>

http://nextinform.com/bright-meteors-and-a-new-comet-for-christmas/

What are comets?

What is the moon? How can such a large object persist so close to earth? How can it show only one face to everyone all over the world? The same exact face, not a slightly different view of the the sphere no matter how far apart the 2 observers are. How can we see it so well, considering its great distance, 235,000 miles?

hmm

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, grav said:

What are comets?

What is the moon? How can such a large object persist so close to earth? How can it show only one face to everyone all over the world? The same exact face, not a slightly different view of the the sphere no matter how far apart the 2 observers are. How can we see it so well, considering its great distance, 235,000 miles?

hmm

No idea but I'm going to go look. lol  :merryxmas:

1 person likes this

<snip>

December 22 - December Solstice. The December solstice occurs at 04:48 UTC. The South Pole of the earth will be tilted toward the Sun, which will have reached its southernmost position in the sky and will be directly over the Tropic of Capricorn at 23.44 degrees south latitude. This is the first day of winter (winter solstice) in the Northern Hemisphere and the first day of summer (summer solstice) in the Southern Hemisphere.

December 21, 22 - Ursids Meteor Shower. The Ursids is a minor meteor shower producing about 5-10 meteors per hour. It is produced by dust grains left behind by comet Tuttle, which was first discovered in 1790. The shower runs annually from December 17-25. It peaks this year on the the night of the 21st and morning of the 22nd. This year the waxing gibbous moon will be bright enough to hide most of the fainter meteors. If you are patient, you might still be able to catch some of the brighter ones. Best viewing will be just after midnight from a dark location far away from city lights. Meteors will radiate from the constellation Ursa Minor, but can appear anywhere in the sky.

December 25 - Full Moon. The Moon will be located on the opposite side of the Earth as the Sun and its face will be will be fully illuminated. This phase occurs at 11:11 UTC. This full moon was known by early Native American tribes as the Full Cold Moon because this is the time of year when the cold winter air settles in and the nights become long and dark. This moon has also been known as the Moon Before Yule and the Full Long Nights Moon.

December 29 - Mercury at Greatest Eastern Elongation. The planet Mercury reaches greatest eastern elongation of 19.7 degrees from the Sun. This is the best time to view Mercury since it will be at its highest point above the horizon in the evening sky. Look for the planet low in the western sky just after sunset.

<snip>

http://www.seasky.org/astronomy/astronomy-calendar-2015.html

Satanic Calendar for December:

22  Summer Solstice:  Animal and human sacrifices are made.

24  Demon revels:  Male and female sacrifice.

25  Yuletide:  Celebration of the birth of the sun as a young babe to the great goddess.  The satanist's own birthday is very important.  The satanist says:  "Every man is a god if he chooses to recognise himself as one".   (LaVey, the satanic bible).

http://www.theforbiddenknowledge.com/hardtruth/satanic_calendar.htm

The full moon has a reputation.....does it affect crazy Jihadists more than normal people? I guess we'll find out!

1 person likes this

Monday, December 21st at 8:49pm PST the Sun enters the sign of Capricorn. In Astrology, the Winter Solstice is considered the time of the re-birth of the Sun (in the Northern hemisphere); a time to rejoice in the renewed length of the days. During this time, for six days, the Sun will rise and set on its longitudinal path at its Southern most place in the sky; creating the shortest days and longest nights. Then it will appear to reverse its longitudinal direction, subsequently creating longer days and shorter nights. This time is traditionally considered Midwinter.

The ancient ones were keenly attuned to their relationship with the natural world and the path of the Sun, because of its necessity for their survival. They honored and celebrated the Winter Solstice through rituals steeped in deep gratitude for the return of the Sun and for all the potential promise of re-growth and sustenance it offered. It is a celebration, during the darkest time of the year, designed to inspire and renew us!

More: http://www.moonkissd.com/2015/12/20/the-significance-of-winter-solstice/

On Monday December 21st, at 8:48 PM PST, the Winter Solstice occurs in the Northern Hemisphere. During the Winter Solstice, the North Pole is at its furthest distance from the Sun, and the Sun is at its lowest point in the sky. It is both the shortest day and the longest night of the year.

The word solstice comes from the Latin sol (sun) and sistere (to stand still). At the solstices, the Sun’s movements as seen from Earth seem to come to a stop be­fore reversing direction. The darkening days then give way to a time of increas­ing light and warmth, greater energy and vitality, and a renewal of our spirit and aspirations.

The solstice was a significant event in the calendar cycle even during Neolithic times. The axes of Neolithic and Bronze Age archaeological sites such as Stonehenge in England and Newgrange in Ireland have been precisely aligned to point toward the Winter Solstice sunrise (Newgrange) and the Winter Solstice sunset (Stonehenge). These ancient cultures quantified and celebrated the rebirth of the Sun.

http://mountainbulletin.com/article/mr-astrology-december-2015/

1 hour ago, YourMom2 said:

The full moon has a reputation.....does it affect crazy Jihadists more than normal people? I guess we'll find out!

It seems to affect crisis actors more than anything I notice.  The bad acting really hits it's peaks at the full moons.

I suspect some Xmas attacks to brighten my holiday season.... the laughs keep me looking for more, lol.

Cinn's earlier cop getting shot in LA post was hysterical, I want more like that one, with sounds recorded in a hollow soda can for extra fakeness.

3 hours ago, JibbyJedi said:

It seems to affect crisis actors more than anything I notice.  The bad acting really hits it's peaks at the full moons.

I suspect some Xmas attacks to brighten my holiday season.... the laughs keep me looking for more, lol.

Cinn's earlier cop getting shot in LA post was hysterical, I want more like that one, with sounds recorded in a hollow soda can for extra fakeness.

They must not pay the actors much because they are terrible, worse than any B movie. I recommend laying in the whiskey in case they fire up the theatre to warp speed.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.