Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lilly

Old Time Tools, Skills, Knowledge

104 posts in this topic

Just in case the lights go out one day. 

Please add whatever you have :)

3 people like this

As a landscaper by trade I find that pretty impressive... It should be noted that the trimmer could run all day whereas the guy running scythe looked like he was out of gas pretty fast. Pretty cool regardless

I racking my brain thinking of old tools, knowledge or skills but here's one for your thread I thought was pretty cool when I heard about it. Unfortunately we don't have walnut trees this far north so the knowledge is lost on me. The video shows you how to catch worms for fishing but if you were to pour this into a river or stream, it would suffocate any fish it comes into contact with, which is probably why it's illegal to fish with (but a hell of a lot easier to catch'em)

1 person likes this

I wonder what mechanism is at work there, they came out so fast! I know that black walnut is toxic to intestinal worms, but it looks like earth worms don't want be around it either. Very cool.

Don't forget the trimmer needs gas :) The chap in the vid was going all out for sure. I can't go that fast and I need a break after half an hour or so.

1 person likes this

I wonder what mechanism is at work there, they came out so fast! I know that black walnut is toxic to intestinal worms, but it looks like earth worms don't want be around it either. Very cool.

Don't forget the trimmer needs gas :) The chap in the vid was going all out for sure. I can't go that fast and I need a break after half an hour or so.

​It's called Juglone. Apparently quite toxic (especially to other plants) after what I've just read...

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/english/crops/facts/info_walnut_toxicity.htm

2 people like this

Zeer Clay Pot Refrigerator: They will only work in hot dryer climates, but they work really well. Arizonians, this
is for you and anywhere else its hot with low humidity. I'm sure you already know about swamp coolers. They work on
evaporation and these can get down as low as 40 degrees inside. Just be sure to keep the cloth cover well watered and
damp! dig deeper for truth.

Nice for you desert beer party boys and girls. Just tell your drivers fuck off, no brew for you!

Edited by Cryptic Mole
1 person likes this

Fresnel lens solar cooker using TV lens: They even have smaller sizes you can buy as 8.5"x11" page readers
that can be used for smaller situations such as boiling water in a bottle for distilling water. you may not like what you find

Edited by Cryptic Mole
1 person likes this

Soda Can Heater: These work really great, but to increase their efficiency use a solar blower/fan motor. Warning...
 you'll have the ugliest MF'n house on your block, but at least you'll be warm during sunlight hours!

Remember when planning, windows on the south side of the home where the afternoon sun is the strongest! Other
wise, don't even bother. Just snuggle up with someone to stay warm, or do lot's of jumping jacks!

Remember, boiling a pot of water makes it feel much warmer by adding humidity. Share not what goes on behind your doors

Edited by Cryptic Mole

Fresnel lens solar cooker using TV lens:

With the right lens,  focused properly,  it will melt concrete blocks. Could be a deadly weapon.  (could be)  

With the right lens,  focused properly,  it will melt concrete blocks. Could be a deadly weapon.  (could be)  

​Yeah, this shit gets crazy hot! you are asleep

Edited by Cryptic Mole

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.