Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CalmShock

Survival Skills... The Futures World Currency

12 posts in this topic

Being Canadian, I've always been in love with the outdoors and inhabiting in and around nature. Mother nature is a tough woman to please and WILL make your life hell if you don't know how to soften or even completely deflect the blows she throws at you.  

I spent nearly 4 months in a wilderness survival program in my younger years learning many cool survival tricks as well as building my confidence to go into largely undiscovered areas within our wilderness and thrive. Over the years through experience and research I've picked up a few more tricks to add to the repertoire and I'm going to share some of those with you guys in here.

For the sake of expediency, most if not all of the techniques I'll present to you will already have YouTube videos so I'll be posting those instead of long winded explanations in type...

This has always been one of my favorite techniques due to peoples disbelief when you tell them you can... MAKE FIRE FROM ICE!!!

One of, if not THE most important resource to survival, is water. Need to purify it? Plastic bottles, and yes, EVEN A PLASTIC FUCKING BAG WILL WORK!!!

Time to eat! Don't have any means to catch any food? WRONG! Build a native american fish trap with merely a few twigs and some patience...

You may not even have water to boil... Lucky for you moisture is everywhere, you about to learn one of of trapping it... (this method produces potable water ready to be drank, but plan on making a bunch of them to maximize your results)

You might be getting settled in at this point thinking "pfff, survival is easy" but just as this happens, you realize you left the stove on the or the latest episode of GOT is on tonight. You gotta boogey you way back to civilization but you're lost... Here's two ways to navigate during the day or night...

(lots of variations on this one. You can even do this by rubbing a dried pine needle on your jeans a bunch of times in the same direction and tossing it in water, but here's a video to give you the idea)

Navigating at night? Ursa Major (Big Dipper) is here to help...

I would post some vids about shelters but I could seriously just make a thread about those alone. Needless to say, you're gonna need one and you're gonna want that to be the first thing you get done while you still have the energy. Now between water, food, fire and navigation, you have some of the more important tools and techniques necessary for long term survival .

I have a few other tricks up my sleeve I'll post later for your guys, but here are the essentials. Anyone else with cool tricks feel free to post them here. It doesn't HAVE to be survival related but it does have to be ingenious. 

1 person likes this

Penny stove. Works with methanol fuel. Look it up. Truly ingenious.

I would encourage whoever has something to add to post a video or link to their own contribution, but I'll do the leg work on this one out of curiosity...

Seeing that vid, I'm reminded of wood gas... Should you lack fuel, just make your own! This is a wood gasifier and can be built to scale to EVEN RUN A MOTOR.

Rocket Stove

Cool design but watching the video was slightly torturous... 2:30 min to put a hole in the side of a paint can and then watching him flail around with a mini/graduating to a full size hacksaw when he should have been using tin snips was slightly comical. Whereas his handyman skills remain lacking, still a video worth watching for sure, thanks for posting :)

From what I remember about rocket stoves is that somehow the way it receives the oxygen has burns upwards at a 90 degree somehow magnifies the heat (burns hotter), is that right?

Yeah I know, I was looking for a better vid but they're all much of a muchness. There are some with concrete blocks too which would take seconds to put together.

With a rocket stove you get a double burn because of the insulated chimney inside. What would ordinarily be flue gases burn again in the chamber. I use a rocket mass heater for heating the house which is a bigger version of this with added thermal mass. Sure cuts down on the wood needed and I never tire of having people put their hand on my cool to the touch stove pipe when a fire is going strong.

I've never built one myself, I might have to give it a go one of these days. I didn't realize the stove pipe stays cool in the process, which is pretty damn interesting... Something to keep in mind if I ever get a chance to build my cabin.

The stove pipe runs through the thermal mass and transfers the heat along the way, hence the cool pipe when it emerges. 

The stove pipe runs through the thermal mass and transfers the heat along the way, hence the cool pipe when it emerges. 

​Sorry, I just had the dumb thought of two nerds talking to each other with one trying to use euphemisms to describe sex to their partner... (you gotta think, nerd voice trying to do a sexy voice when you read it...

BUAHAHAHAHAAAA

0_0

Ok... Probably just me... lol

Well it was just you, but now you've got me snickering. Damn this must be a first for rocket stoves.

I'm picturing this guy

loool, never seen that show... funny shit.

My nerd sounded more like a white steve urkel with about 1/8th of the nasal quality to his voice and minus the snorting...

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.