Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CGK

The Zumwalt Destroyer

7 posts in this topic

The Navy launched its new Zumwalt class destroyer on December 7th. Interesting that they launched it on the Anniversary of the Pearl Harbor Attack.  This is one strange looking Pyramid stealth ship! 

Photo Link:

http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--qVZqOI-P--/c_scale,fl_progressive,q_80,w_800/kuoi8xrajvnsfblkmybu.jpg

Nothing like the Zumwalt has ever been built. The 14,500-ton ship’s flat, inward-sloping sides and superstructure rise in pyramidal fashion in a form called tumblehome. Its long, angular “wave-piercing” bow lacks the rising, flared profile of most ships, and is intended to slice through waves as much as ride over them. The ship’s topsides are streamlined and free of clutter, and even the two 155mm guns disappear into their own angular housings.

The ship’s form was conceived in the mid-1990s as the ultimate stealth ship — exceptionally hard to find using conventional radars and search systems. Seagoing qualities were deliberately sacrificed, critics say, to create the most invisible surface warship ever built. To many observers, the thing just doesn’t look like a boat.

Navy officials and engineers insist the design is safe, and point to extensive testing using computers and a variety of scaled-down models that have sailed test tanks and coastal areas such as the Chesapeake Bay.

“The design is solid,” said Howard Fireman, director of the Surface Ship Design Group at Naval Sea Systems Command (NAVSEA). “It is very mature at this point.”

http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/naval/navy/2015/12/03/zumwalt-ddg1000-shipbuilding-navy-ships-tumblehome-stealth/76728838/

Nice design. I hope by saying they sacrifices some seaworthy characteristics, that they don't mean it sinks without electronic help. :cool:

Looks more like a submarine. Are you sure it doesn't have both capabilities and they're just not sayin'?

15 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

Looks more like a submarine. Are you sure it doesn't have both capabilities and they're just not sayin'?

Who Knows?  There are no windows so maybe its a sub too.

The Zumwalt sort of reminds me of the old Ironclad ships from the Civil War.

A Destroyer/Sub hybrid would be kind of kickass.

25 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

8 minutes ago, CGK said:

25 minutes ago, CGK said:

I thought that because no windows and the design seems streamlined like for minimal water resistance with its sharp edges and angled pilots house. And yes, I also thought about the old iron clad ships. Even those two whatever they are... maybe guns on the front deck have streamlined covers it seems.

Edited by Cryptic Mole

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.