Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
toast

I want to break the christmas tradition

22 posts in this topic

I want to give my daughter her gifts now, tell her there is no santa and its all me and her mother. F christmas, F the tradition's, F the status quo. 

Why should that fat imaginary prick get all the credit?

Why should we all be forced to go along with the rules of christmas?

You want to break the rules yet you have bought gifts? :xmassnow:

Christmas is kinda tricky especially with kids.....live in the world but don't be OF it. Start some new traditions that aren't about gifts, but about learning something new and thereby creating memories. Maybe teach her to cook if she's old enough, like pie. Who doesn't like pie?

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, YourMom2 said:

You want to break the rules yet you have bought gifts? :xmassnow:

Christmas is kinda tricky especially with kids.....live in the world but don't be OF it. Start some new traditions that aren't about gifts, but about learning something new and thereby creating memories. Maybe teach her to cook if she's old enough, like pie. Who doesn't like pie?

Good points all around I haven't thought of it that way.

I looked up "Old Nick" in the dictionary and was astounded to see that it means the Devil.  Then the movie "Little Nicky" made sense.  Is that just coincidence?  The fact that "Old St. Nick" climbs down your chimney to where the fire is (i.e., hell) really seems to say that this s*** was intentional.  What does Santa represent?  Materialism.  So we worship Satan and materialism for Christmas?  I'm ready to throw Christmas away and make it a Bible reading day.  I don't know what to do though because I do have small children and it is so much fun to watch them light up on Christmas morning.  I would appreciate anyone's input on the subject. 

1 person likes this

3 minutes ago, Rothbard said:

I looked up "Old Nick" in the dictionary and was astounded to see that it means the Devil.  Then the movie "Little Nicky" made sense.  Is that just coincidence?  The fact that "Old St. Nick" climbs down your chimney to where the fire is (i.e., hell) really seems to say that this s*** was intentional.  What does Santa represent?  Materialism.  So we worship Satan and materialism for Christmas?  I'm ready to throw Christmas away and make it a Bible reading day.  I don't know what to do though because I do have small children and it is so much fun to watch them light up on Christmas morning.  I would appreciate anyone's input on the subject. 

Guess that's why they say better to give than receive. 

It's a plot.

And the Christmas tree is pagan.

I got my first Xmas card today. Xmas is OK, by the way, not a bad way to write the whole word.

Ah, shopping, cooking, company, decorating, cleaning, sending cards, putting up with family you'd just as soon not see.

ho ho ho humbug :lulz3: and you get to clean up all the mess for WEEKS!!!!!

12 minutes ago, Rothbard said:

His clothes are covered in the blood of children, which is why they are red.

But seriously it's not about materialism with us, we get our kids modest gifts they don't get spoiled. They are good kids too. Our daughter is 6, she does good in school and is well behaved so we want to reward her. She still believes in santa. Our son is 13 and he already found out santa isn't real a while ago. He does very well in school and is well behaved also.

1 person likes this

We never told our kids that Santa was real, but that it was fun to pretend. We also tried to make sure we emphasized the joy of giving, and being grateful for what we already had. We never did much decorating, but of course any excuse for a party works for me. Our extended family is very attached to the traditions so we play along so as not to ruin their holiday. I guess the good thing about us all being on tight budgets is that there won't be a gift exchange.

I used to adopt a family or two at Christmas and load them up with gifts until I became aware of the scams. It would take some sleuthing but finding a family truly in need would be a worthwhile project and a teaching opportunity for kids. Maybe find some foster kids to help? Kids stuck in a group home?

If you look past the commercial aspect of Christmas, there is a spirit of love that glows with the lights and that part is worth capturing.

The bible speaks of not practicing the pagan tradition and speaks of the description which to the best of my knowledge, can only describe Christmas. I linked to it here and what it says about it on past post if anyone wants to look them up. 

2 hours ago, Rothbard said:

Maybe we should say that we give gifts to honor the greatest gift giver of them all, for the greatest gift of them all. I don't think Jesus would mind. The spirit of Christmas is his spirit, named after his birth. The world tries to claim the honor that belongs to Christ, his birth, death. Resurrection. But to those of us who know, he was the greatest gift of them all. 

5 hours ago, toast said:

I want to give my daughter her gifts now, tell her there is no santa and its all me and her mother. F christmas, F the tradition's, F the status quo. 

Why should that fat imaginary prick get all the credit?

Why should we all be forced to go along with the rules of christmas?

So start signing the gift tags "From: Santa Dad & Santa Mom". 

If you do decide to break with tradition, then maybe use this as an opportunity to teach her how to deal with disappointment in her life. (a lesson that is rarely being taught these days as we see with adults throwing tantrums) Just throwing that out there for you, but if your teenage son is already doing well, then you are already doing the parenting right. :)

Happy Holidays! &  :merryxmas:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.