Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
five4ty7am

Researchers find new phase of carbon, make diamond at room temperature

5 posts in this topic

Researchers from North Carolina State University have discovered a new phase of solid carbon, called Q-carbon, which is distinct from the known phases of graphite and diamond. They have also developed a technique for using Q-carbon to make diamond-related structures at room temperature and at ambient atmospheric pressure in air.

Phases are distinct forms of the same material. Graphite is one of the solid phases of carbon; diamond is another.

"We've now created a third solid phase of carbon," says Jay Narayan, the John C. Fan Distinguished Chair Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at NC State and lead author of three papers describing the work. "The only place it may be found in the natural world would be possibly in the core of some planets."

Q-carbon has some unusual characteristics. For one thing, it is ferromagnetic – which other solid forms of carbon are not.

"We didn't even think that was possible," Narayan says.

In addition, Q-carbon is harder than diamond, and glows when exposed to even low levels of energy.

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-phase-carbon-diamond-room-temperature.html

4 people like this

Can we hope this makes diamonds worth less so they'll quit killing people over hard rocks? My hope anyways. That said, diamonds are shiney. So is brass >.>

10 hours ago, Last1oftheJedi said:

Can we hope this makes diamonds worth less so they'll quit killing people over hard rocks? My hope anyways. That said, diamonds are shiney. So is brass >.>

Actually it's my understanding that diamonds are very plentiful but the de beers family has a monopoly over the mines and how much inventory is allowed to be out in the world at any given time! They create scarcity to make more profit. Just like the oil companies!

Edited by Quick1966
Added a word
1 person likes this

18 minutes ago, Quick1966 said:

Actually it's my understanding that diamonds are very plentiful but the de beers family has a monopoly over the mines and how much inventory is allowed to be out in the world at any given time! They create scarcity to make more profit. Just like the oil companies!

Same understanding here. hen they found an abundance of them. they created a way to make them profitable. they then started the whole diamonds are a girls best friend trend which is still engrained today.

It made so many people wealthy. And its not easy to know that. I give you a task Go search google for the price of diamonds before they we made so popular by ad campaign. Almost non-existant and hard to find any evidence. And those that do evidence it are severely over-inflated for the times.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.