Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

FDA Approves GMO Salmon

11 posts in this topic

What's next GMO Beef?

The Food and Drug Administration on Thursday approved genetically modified salmon, the first such altered animal allowed for human consumption in the United States.

The Obama administration had stalled in approving the fast-growing salmon for more than five years amid consumer concerns about eating genetically modified foods. But the agency said Thursday the fish is safe to eat.

In announcing the approval, the FDA said that there are "no biologically relevant differences in the nutritional profile of AquAdvantage Salmon compared to that of other farm-raised Atlantic salmon."

Critics call the modified salmon a "frankenfish." They worry that it could cause human allergies and the eventual decimation of the natural salmon population if it escapes and breeds in the wild. Others believe breeding engineered animals is an ethical issue.

More:

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/Genetically-modified-salmon-OKd-for-human-consumption-in-US--351791141.html

Labeling of food products

The FDA recognizes that some consumers are interested in knowing whether the Atlantic salmon they buy is the product of genetic engineering. Under a draft Guidance released today in conjunction with the approval, manufacturers who wish to voluntarily label their food products as containing or not containing genetically engineered Atlantic salmon may do so as long as such labeling is truthful and non-misleading.

More:

http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/DevelopmentApprovalProcess/GeneticEngineering/GeneticallyEngineeredAnimals/ucm473238.htm

Figures..Look who sits on the Frakenfish Board of Directors. Guess I wont be eating Salmon any more.

Jack A. Bobo

Non-Executive Director

Jack Bobo joined the Board of AquaBounty in November 2015.  He has significant expertise in the analysis and communication of global trends in biotechnology, food and agriculture to audiences around the world, and is currently Senior Vice President and Chief Communications Officer at Intrexon Corporation, a position he has held since July 2015. He was previously at the U.S. Department of State where he worked for thirteen years, most recently as Senior Advisor for Food Policy following his positions as Senior Advisor for Biotechnology as well as Chief, Biotechnology and Textile Trade Division. Prior to this, Mr. Bobo was an attorney at Crowell & Moring LLP. He received a J.D. from Indiana University School of Law and an M.S. in Environmental Science from Indiana University School of Public and Environmental Affairs.

https://aquabounty.com/about/board-of-directors/

I don't like salmon anyway, so I'm in the clear.

Famous last words:

The FDA has also said the fish is unlikely to harm the environment. The fish would be bred female and sterile, though a very small percentage might still be able to breed. The company has argued the potential for escape is low.

:onfire:

This is what all the science fiction movies say, too. 

Keep in mind that GMOs are in products ranging from food to clothes.  I can't find all of the sources that I'd like to at the moment, but I'll leave you with a few. 

http://consciouslifenews.com/next-generation-gmos-questionable-nanoparticles-clothes-organic-food-full-post/1166366/

Here's a website that list non-GMO products: http://www.nongmoproject.org/find-non-gmo/search-participating-products/

http://www.shiftfrequency.com/gmo-products-comprehensive-list/

GMO database: http://www.gmo-compass.org/eng/gmo/db/

Not to mention all of the GMOs we're being sprayed with via chemtrials.... 

You are what you eat. Hybridization is one thing, but to genetically alter a DNA strand to cause alteration or a desired change is not intelligent, especially in food sources. If ingested carcinogens can pass on the ability to cause gene mutation, what might an ingested gene mutation pass on. The trouble is there is not enough scientific evidence to conclude the danger does not exist. Case in point, prescription medication, one year it's the greatest achievement since modern medicine, the next year it's causing damage beyond the scope of clinical trials. Remember a few years back when it was discovered that premature puberty in children was linked to growth hormone given to animals that we consume. 

I personally do not want my genome altered, or my food either. I don't care if a fish grows twice as fast if it may cause twice as much damage to our children in the future. 

What could go wrong? It could give a new variation to transgender and then we'll end up with fish people. Can they please have their own bathroom?

Just like the gmo Mosquitos.... What can possibly go wrong. 

Dont know about you but the mosquitoes I've seen lately look like mutants. Their huge. Nope can't see any problem with gmo salmon :rolleyes:

7 minutes ago, Groove said:

Just like the gmo Mosquitos.... What can possibly go wrong. 

Dont know about you but the mosquitoes I've seen lately look like mutants. Their huge. Nope can't see any problem with gmo salmon :rolleyes:

I had a thought a few years back, how easy it would be to spread a pathogen via Mosquitos. After all they are just flying hypodermic needles. Since a mosquito injects an anti-coagulant before it draws its meal, it would be a perfect inoculator. Monsanto genetically  modified plants to produce insecticide, genetically modifying Mosquitos to produce a pathogen is not too far fetched.  

47 minutes ago, WhiteHorse said:

I had a thought a few years back, how easy it would be to spread a pathogen via Mosquitos. After all they are just flying hypodermic needles. Since a mosquito injects an anti-coagulant before it draws its meal, it would be a perfect inoculator. Monsanto genetically  modified plants to produce insecticide, genetically modifying Mosquitos to produce a pathogen is not too far fetched.  

Now that is a scary idea! 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.