Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lilly

EPA bans sale of pesticide that's toxic to honeybees

10 posts in this topic

http://phys.org/news/2015-11-epa-sale-pesticide-toxic-honeybees.html

It's the end of the line for sulfoxaflor, a pesticide used on a wide variety of produce, but that has been found to be toxic to honeybees that are crucial to pollination of crops.

The federal Environmental Protection Agency prohibited further sales and distribution of the chemical, produced by Dow AgroSciences. Growers who have a stock of the pesticide can still apply it, according to the EPA cancellation order.

The action came in response to a September decision in the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals that overturned EPA's previous approval of the chemical for use on crops such as citrus, cotton, canola, strawberries, soybeans and wheat.

Sold under the brand names Closer and Transform, sulfoxaflor is an insecticide aimed at piercing and sucking insects such as aphids and lygus.

Dow AgroSciences said concerns about harm to bees could easily have been addressed by EPA without rescinding permission to use the chemical.

Good!
:IGly6RW:

Looks like the only way to get the scumbags to do the right thing is to take them to court.

Honey bees have flourished for decades with pesticides being used and over used. Now don't take this wrong, I don't condone its use. When I garden I try to go natural as possible, I eat from it. When I have dusted or sprayed with a natural pesticide derived from chrysanthemums the bees avoided the blooms. 

I think bees, like the rest of the freak die off is from something more, being hidden . Reports of large amounts of birds dropping dead out of the sky for no apparent reason.

Bees range far from the hive to find flowers and blooms, if their apiary is not located next to a food source.

Could it be that an electronic interference highly perceptible to bee's, interferes with their natural navigation. The more rf and other unnatural electronic pollution we fill the airwaves with the more I believe we will see it affect nature and ourselves. 

We had no bees this spring when my fruit trees needed pollination. As a result, there were zero plums and a greatly reduced harvest overall. This summer we had no blackberries on the wild vines that we let grow everywhere. No blackberries?

Our property is classified organic. But we are surrounded by loblolly pine plantations which are aerially sprayed with pesticides. We don't allow European honeybee hives to be set up here. That non-native species carries diseases and mites that transfer to our more useful bumblebees and other native beneficial insects.

59 minutes ago, WhiteHorse said:

Honey bees have flourished for decades with pesticides being used and over used. Now don't take this wrong, I don't condone its use. When I garden I try to go natural as possible, I eat from it. When I have dusted or sprayed with a natural pesticide derived from chrysanthemums the bees avoided the blooms. 

I think bees, like the rest of the freak die off is from something more, being hidden . Reports of large amounts of birds dropping dead out of the sky for no apparent reason.

Bees range far from the hive to find flowers and blooms, if their apiary is not located next to a food source.

Could it be that an electronic interference highly perceptible to bee's, interferes with their natural navigation. The more rf and other unnatural electronic pollution we fill the airwaves with the more I believe we will see it affect nature and ourselves. 

The honey bee die off likely has many causes including those that you mention but Sulfoxaflor is a new insecticide and it is toxic to bees. It is right that it has been banned.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sulfoxaflor

On May 6, 2013, the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) approved the first two commercial pesticide products that contain sulfoxaflor, marketed under the brand names "Transform" and "Closer", to the Dow Chemical Corporation. This pesticide has been registered to South Korea, Panama, Vietnam, Indonesia, and Guatemala.[citation needed]

On 10 September 2015 the U.S. 9th Circuit Court of Appeals issued a ruling overturning the EPA's approval of sulfoxaflor citing insufficient evidence from studies regarding bee health to justify how sulfoxaflor was approved.[6][4] Beekeepers and environmental groups hailed the decision, say that it makes clear that the EPA must assess the health of entire hives, not just individual bees.[7]

20 minutes ago, grav said:

We had no bees this spring when my fruit trees needed pollination. As a result, there were zero plums and a greatly reduced harvest overall. This summer we had no blackberries on the wild vines that we let grow everywhere. No blackberries?

Our property is classified organic. But we are surrounded by loblolly pine plantations which are aerially sprayed with pesticides. We don't allow European honeybee hives to be set up here. That non-native species carries diseases and mites that transfer to our more useful bumblebees and other native beneficial insects.

Wow grav. That is really terrible. I hope your pollinators return next year but I won't hold my breath. :sad:

18 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Wow grav. That is really terrible. I hope your pollinators return next year but I won't hold my breath. :sad:

Me neither. Insect populations are crashing all over the world.

http://www.bbc.com/earth/story/20150304-global-pollinators-in-decline

People hate insects, without realizing that they are the basis of our ecosystem. Plants and mammals need pollinators. Pest insects are held in check by insect predators, like some wasps and spiders. All life is inter-connected. Well, there is one species the world could do without.

Indigenous people knew how to live with wild animals and harsh realities of Nature. We have been cozened by the Dark Side. Africans and peasants in China are now being weakened by "charitable" organizations to put them in modern housing and forget vital survival skills. One of my favorite movies is Apocalypto. The ending scene is a lesson many "primitive" tribes would do well to follow.

Right!! And if we had diverse agriculture with room left for wildlife, instead of mono cropping, there would be niches for the predator insects to flourish. We thought we were so clever ripping out hedgerows and woodland to make mega farms. Nope, we were stupid squared. We just created a new problem that needed a new solution that created an even worse problem.

I haven't seen Apocalypto, I'll have to watch it.

6 hours ago, Lilly said:

Right!! And if we had diverse agriculture with room left for wildlife, instead of mono cropping, there would be niches for the predator insects to flourish. We thought we were so clever ripping out hedgerows and woodland to make mega farms. Nope, we were stupid squared. We just created a new problem that needed a new solution that created an even worse problem.

I haven't seen Apocalypto, I'll have to watch it.

Please let me know what you think of it. With all the things wrong with the world, sex, violence, dumbification, etc. -- Hollywood still cranks out some marvels of imagination and sensitivity 

There was another movie years ago which had the same theme. Emerald Jungle. And of course Fern Gully. Not to mention Avatar! 

I've heard that organic farmers make more profits than the factory farms who destroy the land. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.