Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cinnamon

Horses Help Heal Veterans' Invisible Wounds

9 posts in this topic

Serving in combat can affect soldiers long after they return home from war. For some, the wounds are physical and visible. For others, they go deeper, affecting their mental health. Staff at Boulder Crest Retreat in Bluemont, VA, use horses—equine therapy—to help veterans heal these invisible wounds.

1 person likes this

These Horses Give Prisoners a Second Chance

Published on Jun 22, 2015

Some inmates in the Maryland state prison system are hoping to make their lives after prison better by working with retired racehorses. The Thoroughbred Retirement Foundation has found homes for the horses at correctional facilities where inmates are trained as grooms. The prisoners benefit from learning new skills as well as the compassion and patience it takes to work with the horses. Studies have shown that  programs like these help decrease the likelihood that an inmate will return to prison.

Great videos cinn, esp the first two. It's good to know that programs like that exist. Too many people are thrown on the junk heap and left to rot.

20 hours ago, Lilly said:

Great videos cinn, esp the first two. It's good to know that programs like that exist. Too many people are thrown on the junk heap and left to rot.

Thanks, Lilly. I also saw a documentary recently on Netflix about prisoners who are doing service dog training. Not one inmate re-offended that was part of that program. There is something magical about what animals can do for people who need psychological help. 

That's alot of vids. I didn't watch them. Please forgive. But I do know, animal/human interaction does wonders. My son, for those new to the show, has a special kinda autism, and ya know how the community turned what would be a slight into a profession? They got him workin on a ranch. Pettin the horses, riding the horses. Learning how to tend to the horses. See, ya do some research and you'll find kids, like my amazing child, are really good with animals, so what better way to secure a ligit and productive future than to expose and teach him how to be a ranch hand? Is it his future? Who knows? Was everyone from the child to the horses and all those inbetween bettered for it? Ya better believe it. What I'm saying, is that when a community comes together to aid, it's amazing what we can build, and heal. I think those vets would agree. And ofcourse o.o7 to the vets. Without you, I don't get to pen. (Writing one, not corral)

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.