Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Happy Thoughts!

9 posts in this topic

Everywhere I look there is bad news. The only thing on TV is, hate, terror, despair, hopelessness, war, politics, bla, bla, bla.  When all the madness starts to get to me, I go to my happy place. What is my happy place? Thoughts and memories of a kinder and gentler time in my life. Here are a few memories that always make me smile and take me away from it all...

- Riding in my dads 57 Chevy with a baseball game blaring on the radio and standing up in the backseat hanging my head out of the window.

- Playing hide and go seek and catching fireflies on a warm summer evening. Putting the fireflies in a mason jar and letting them go all at once.

- Making Christmas candy with my grandmother. Watching her nip at the rum that she soaked the fruit cake in and wondering why she was so happy making candy.

- Making colored popcorn balls with my grandfather to give away on Halloween.

- Going to Drive-in movies. Mom and Dad took me and my brothers and sisters when we were little. When I was a teenager, I went with my boyfriend and steamed up the car windows. LOL

- Being 16 and standing outside a liquor store trying to get someone to buy us a 2 dollar bottle of Boone's Farm Strawberry Hill wine.  Or hanging out at the park after a football game with a bunch of friends drinking beer. We kept the beer tied to a rope for when the police showed up and they always did.  When we saw the police car we threw the beer on a rope in the lake and climbed up in the trees so the police wouldn't bust us. I'm sure the police always knew we were in the trees and the beer was in the lake but it was their way of saying, we know what you kids are up to...now its time to go home.

- Walking down the isle with my Dad. As he gave me away, he whispered to my husband, "This is your last chance to run away if you want to change your mind." OMG Daddy, did you really say that?

- Holding my children for the first time, looking into their little faces and being grateful that they were born healthy.

There are so many things that make me smile. What makes you smile?

remembering the feeling of being a child in someone's lap when they clapped or tied my shoes. that little bit of snuggle off & on

15 minutes ago, reg said:

remembering the feeling of being a child in someone's lap when they clapped or tied my shoes. that little bit of snuggle off & on

And how happy were you when you could tie your own shoes? That's got to be a great memory too! I bet you were really proud! I know I was.

First, brillant thread. With all the negative in the press right now, this is nice. 

I'm not even that well wisened in terms of age, but I remember being able to leave your car door, and front door, unlocked. Why? because the neighborhood was always a safe place.

I remember catching fireflies, you don't even see em anymore. Lest I don't. I use to have some anoles, they're a lizard that those in the southwest of america are familar with. I would go out every morning, and catch frogs, and toads, small ones, to feed to my reptiles. Now, I haven't seen a tree frog in atleast two decades.

Another thing, Honry Toads! Remember those lil ant-eaters. You could pick up one of these lil spikey bastards, and pet them on the head til they passed out, literally would fall asleep in your hand. Now, so endangered, I personally haven't seen one since I saw a tree frog.

Neighbors, even those that didn't get along had your back. Good luck finding that in "only me" america. I'm blessed though, I live in a part of the country that still holds morals and God important, but I'd be a total fool not to recognize the degragation of society.

Back in the day, my father worked outta town alot. I really believe, to this day, it was done outta best heart intent. He didn't know what he was doing to the family as a whole in that act. But he was raised to work for that living, and he worked hard for it (I know you didn't expect that, Tom, but it's okay. I get it now. While I don't agree with how you handled it, I get it. God did us both right, so stop trying to make villians to justify positions.), and what this ment, is i use to get to fly on planes, from time to time.

Now because of being shoved outta the tree and meeting stone to dome from 40 plus feet, I had a hella fear of flying (falling really, heights in general). But not after the first flight. It's actually pretty fun. You get to see the country from a bird's eye view. Mississippi river is something to behold from whatever the standard flight level is . I was single digit child, cut me some slack. But the point, airports wern't military check points. Not even close. I can't remember how often I set off that stupid buzzer because of coins (remember when coins were made with actually valuable metals? I do)  or a belt, or what have you, but never was detained and searched. Kids, literally kids, can't say that today.

So yeah, I remember the good ol days, and I believe we can come back to them. All ya need is love, boy, that's all you'll ever need.

Turning the handle on the cream bucket and licking the salt off the cubes. 

Catching big black and yellow salamanders out of the water meters when we lived in town.

sqirrel hunting with my grandfather on the river

buying a big box of kitchen matches and hitting them with a hammer, they pop like firecrackers 

early morning catfishing trips with my grandfather 

eating donuts with bloody hands from skinning squirrels, watching my grandma go......ick 

fishing with my boys

building a sailboat with my youngest son

watching him sail it

watching the night sky with night vision 

taking long hikes and taking pictures of insects, wild life, and scenic views

hot rodding my first car a 1962 Chevy impala, had a big block 348 , man it would run

thanks for the thread helped me to remember some good times in my life, the Gifts from God : )

My Grandfather had a house in the country that was a party place for the grownups and a magical place for  kids.

I loved swinging and dropping from a rope swing in the river.

Being the DJ and playing 45 rpm records on the record player.

Eating pimento cheese spread on crackers and drinking grape soda.

Swinging in a hammock.

The smell and feel of scratchy wool blanket that were stored in a ceder chest.

Running as fast as I could to make it to the end of the slip and slide.

Playing horse shoes and lawn darts.

Going to the outhouse in the middle of the night with those daddy long legs everywhere make me smile now. I was so frightened of them as a child. Now I laugh and think, little did i know that a couple of spiders on an outhouse wall were nothing compared to what life throws at you when you are an adult.

1 hour ago, WhiteHorse said:

Turning the handle on the cream bucket and licking the salt off the cubes. 

Catching big black and yellow salamanders out of the water meters when we lived in town.

sqirrel hunting with my grandfather on the river

buying a big box of kitchen matches and hitting them with a hammer, they pop like firecrackers 

early morning catfishing trips with my grandfather 

eating donuts with bloody hands from skinning squirrels, watching my grandma go......ick 

fishing with my boys

building a sailboat with my youngest son

watching him sail it

watching the night sky with night vision 

taking long hikes and taking pictures of insects, wild life, and scenic views

hot rodding my first car a 1962 Chevy impala, had a big block 348 , man it would run

thanks for the thread helped me to remember some good times in my life, the Gifts from God : )

WOW...great memories...Thanks for sharing!

Building a sail boat with your youngest son and watching him sail it really made me smile. Those are the moments in our lives that make life worth living.

Years ago, my family and I were living in the mountains of Colorado when there was a huge snow storm. I had to take the dog out  before bedtime. I walked to the end of our long driveway and looked back towards the house. The new fallen snow under a full moon looked like a million diamonds glistening on the ground. It was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.

I trucked back to the house, got the kids out of bed, make them put on their boots, coats and told them they had to come with me because I needed to show them something very important. They were anything but happy and complained all the way to the end of the driveway. Then I said, "Turn around and tell me what you see." The kids started squealing with delight and yelling it's diamonds, it's stars, it's sparkles..Wow Mom Wow!

My kids are adults now but if you ask them about memories that make them happy, I'm pretty sure they will both say, the night that mom drug us out of bed to see snow diamonds!

Oh the memories!!

Christmas was always big with my family. Im the oldest of 6 kids, so wasn't extravagant but we had fun.  Going into the mountains on the coast to find a Christmas tree was something us kids loved to do. Us 4 boys would go wild running everywhere looking for the right tree.  Don't know how my parents didn't loose their minds trying to keep track of us, lol.

We also would go crazy with the Christmas lights decorations on the house. We thought it looked good but I think dad had other ideas. His eyes would get big and just say "ok" and walk away.  The electric bill must of been horrible. 

There's a light show in this historic property called shore acres garden every Christmas near Charleston that's really cool. Volunteers come out and light up the garden and do some really neat work with the lights. Been going to that since i was a kid and when I moved back to Oregon been taking the kids as well.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.