Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Europe to Make Linking to Other Websites 'Illegal'

17 posts in this topic

The European Commission is preparing to target people who hyperlink on the internet, forcing search engines and news portals to pay media companies for linking to their content.

According to a draft communication on copyright reform leaked this week, the Commission is considering putting the simple act of linking to content under copyright protection.

Thomasdishaw.com reports:

Each weblink would become a legal landmine and would allow press publishers to hold every single actor on the Internet liable.

Ancillary Copyright Law reloaded: A new path towards the old goal

In the draft at hand, the Commission bemoans a lack of clarity about which actions on the Internet need a permission and which ones do not: in legal terms, they put forward the question when something is an ‘act of communication to the public’.

This is a reference to a ruling of the European Court of Justice in the Svensson case. While on one hand the judges established that the simple act of linking to publicly available content is no copyright infringement, because it does not reach a new public, a few questions were left open bis this ruling, however: For example when exactly content can be seen as accessible by the public and how e.g. links surpassing paywalls are to be treated.

The key point is that the Commission frames ancillary copyright laws for press publishers as an attempt by a few member states to solve this problem legally. Instead of criticising the substance of these laws they only bemoan the possible ‘fragmentation’ of European law by these different implementations. A coherent European answer to the problem behind all this is a necessity. The reform of the executive rights on an EU-level is apparently another attempt to fulfil the goals also pursued through the introduction of ancillary copyright law.

However, the depiction of this goal by the Commission is plainly wrong: Ancillary copyright laws do not answer the questions poised by the European Court of Justice. It is rather an attempt to cross-finance struggling publishing houses by asking thriving internet companies such as google to pay up for linking to publicly available articles – to give price tags to exactly the same act of linking that has been clearly pronounced non-infringing by the European Court of Justice.

The Commission seems to want to reach the same by defining exclusive rights further, so the ‘clarity’ it seeks can only mean: sheer linking to content protected by copyright shall be seen as providing access to them, and require therefore explicit permission. This plan is a departure from the basic principle behind the Svensson ruling, which permitted free linking on the Internet, without the need for active examination of whom the linked material belongs to.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/europe-to-make-linking-to-other-websites-illegal/

This is a very slippery slope and the core of it is money, the worship of it, the fear of losing it and putting profit above all else. God forbid that someone should produce a body of work and gift it to humanity. We all have our various talents, gifts that should be freely shared with an open heart without the contamination of the money changers.

2 people like this

32 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

This is a very slippery slope and the core of it is money, the worship of it, the fear of losing it and putting profit above all else. God forbid that someone should produce a body of work and gift it to humanity. We all have our various talents, gifts that should be freely shared with an open heart without the contamination of the money changers.

I thought they would want people to link to there site.more traffic more money.am i wrong?

Edited by yaknow
misspeell

11 minutes ago, yaknow said:

I thought they would want people to link to there site.more traffic more money.am i wrong?

Their mentality, instead (of healthy competitiveness), compells them to sit back and be rentiers by imposing fines and penalties upon the unsuspecting masses.

The French Revolution 2.0 ought to be nigh.

2 hours ago, yaknow said:

No more linking to Amazon? You can't have your commerce cake without marketing. All the affiliate marketers would suddenly become DOA.

COPYRIGHT

All content included in or made available through any Amazon Service, such as text, graphics, logos, button icons, images, audio clips, digital downloads, data compilations, and software is the property of Amazon or its content suppliers and protected by United States and international copyright laws. The compilation of all content included in or made available through any Amazon Service is the exclusive property of Amazon and protected by U.S. and international copyright laws.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=footer_cou?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508088

The Internet is the last stage. For both the elite and the people. If the people lose freedom of speech on the web we will be on a path of revolt that will not be avoided. For a lot of people it is the last bastion and allows us to deal with the rest of the shit. If it goes.....you can expect a war on government.

4 hours ago, Ukshep said:

The Internet is the last stage. For both the elite and the people. If the people lose freedom of speech on the web we will be on a path of revolt that will not be avoided. For a lot of people it is the last bastion and allows us to deal with the rest of the shit. If it goes.....you can expect a war on government.

Agreed, and it is because of that they will take it slowly, like they did your rights. Well, mine. Idk how the UK runs. I mean, I do, but I don't. w/e, what matters is they know they can't drop the ban hammers quick, so they slow boil it. They're, right now, giving everyone enough rope to hang themselves, and not an inch more or less.

The internet is the closest thing to God this generation has. - quote from teenager

This will not go over well.
They want a fight?
They'll get it. 

41 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

The internet is the closest thing to God this generation has. - quote from teenager

This will not go over well.
They want a fight?
They'll get it. 

Yikes! The internet is the largest library in the world, a valuable resource created by it's users. Handy but nowhere near divine!

2 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

Yikes! The internet is the largest library in the world, a valuable resource created by it's users. Handy but nowhere near divine!

Well, social media and game addicted teens around the world give it more attention than anything else in their lives.
They turn to it for just about everything. They communicate with it daily. They search it endlessly.
They ask it for advice when they're lost. They praise it when they receive what they want.
They talk about about it and through it with their community.
They can't remember a time without it.
They won't give it up easily.

4 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Well, social media and game addicted teens around the world give it more attention than anything else in their lives.
They turn to it for just about everything. They communicate with it daily. They search it endlessly.
They ask it for advice when they're lost. They praise it when they receive what they want.
They talk about about it and through it with their community.
They can't remember a time without it.
They won't give it up easily.

It's not just teens. I can't get my 28 yr old daughter to stop posting personal info on facebook. She knows better but just can't stop herself.

It will be hard for them at first but as always, adapt or die.

3 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

It's not just teens. I can't get my 28 yr old daughter to stop posting personal info on facebook. She knows better but just can't stop herself.

It will be hard for them at first but as always, adapt or die.

The facebook phenomenon is strange to me.
My son is on it too and isn't cautious at all.
He doesn't care who knows what.

I think he'd be alright in end but I don't think I'd want to be around him when the withdrawal takes hold.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.