Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

The Hidden Meaning of “It Is What It Is”

9 posts in this topic

It seems that increasingly often you hear hear the phrase, “it is what it is”. I was taking the phrase to mean, “It’s not this and it’s not that; it’s something more subtle that I don’t have a name for, and I’m ok with that”. In other words I took it to be an indication that the speaker is letting the thing thing just exist in all its rich uniqueness without having to categorize it or analyse it. 

Read more here : https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/mindbloggling/201405/the-hidden-meaning-it-is-what-it-is

1 person likes this

I interpreted the term as acceptance of a particular situation by the speaker, a finality that does not invite further discussion.

The author spends her time studying how humans became creative and to that I say......it just is. Do we really have to study and pick apart every aspect of our being?

http://magazine.seymourprojects.com/2014/01/dr-liane-gabora-on-creativity-a-revolutionary-theory/

9 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

I interpreted the term as acceptance of a particular situation by the speaker, a finality that does not invite further discussion.

The author spends her time studying how humans became creative and to that I say......it just is. Do we really have to study and pick apart every aspect of our being?

http://magazine.seymourprojects.com/2014/01/dr-liane-gabora-on-creativity-a-revolutionary-theory/

Didn't read the link, however, the important message is: Words- and the meanings behind them are powerful.  Mindfulness is part of spiritual mastery.

14 minutes ago, Sky Cat said:

Words- and the meanings behind them are powerful.  Mindfulness is part of spiritual mastery.

+1

hate that phrase, for lazy peices f shit.  get up abd make it different our change it, do something about it. if u order steak and you serve me hamburger, ima fuckin say something nut be afraid abd cower my shoulder saying it is what it is... basically they saying it is NOT WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE

1 hour ago, jayke911 said:

hate that phrase, for lazy peices f shit.  get up abd make it different our change it, do something about it. if u order steak and you serve me hamburger, ima fuckin say something nut be afraid abd cower my shoulder saying it is what it is... basically they saying it is NOT WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO BE

I always thought something else.

Like if someone dies and you didn't get to say goodbye.

You can lament and torture yourself, or you can accept the fact that it is what it is.

I made the comment in the thread about copyright law, it is what it is. And it has been that way for decades. My point was there is no way to fight it by continuing to put up copyrighted images on this forum because we will lose every time and the amount of money to fight that is astronomical, even in one instance. With precedence already set over and over, we can't beat them in court.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.