Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Earth Changes: The Apocalyptic Fires In Indonesia That No One Is Talking About

9 posts in this topic

Why is this happening? Indonesia’s forests have been fragmented for decades by timber and farming companies. Canals have been cut through the peat to drain and dry it. Plantation companies move in to destroy what remains of the forest to plant monocultures of pulpwood, timber and palm oil. The easiest way to clear the land is to torch it. Every year, this causes disasters. But in an extreme El Niño year like this one, we have a perfect formula for environmental catastrophe.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/30/indonesia-fires-disaster-21st-century-world-media

Thanks to IKEA, big box stores and all of the consumers that want everything cheap and disposable.

Most of this wood goes to make cheap tables, chairs, bookcases and other wood products sold in by discounters, especially in the United States.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/just-dont-ask-why-its-so-cheap/article1315012/?page=all

56 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

Why is this happening? Indonesia’s forests have been fragmented for decades by timber and farming companies. Canals have been cut through the peat to drain and dry it. Plantation companies move in to destroy what remains of the forest to plant monocultures of pulpwood, timber and palm oil. The easiest way to clear the land is to torch it. Every year, this causes disasters. But in an extreme El Niño year like this one, we have a perfect formula for environmental catastrophe.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/30/indonesia-fires-disaster-21st-century-world-media

Thanks to IKEA, big box stores and all of the consumers that want everything cheap and disposable.

Most of this wood goes to make cheap tables, chairs, bookcases and other wood products sold in by discounters, especially in the United States.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/just-dont-ask-why-its-so-cheap/article1315012/?page=all

Fuckers:iqbsngdi:

Our race is willing to destroy this  beautiful world for profits. Sickening.

My own state, Louisiana, forbids clear-cutting cypress trees in the swamps that protect the land from erosion and hurricane damage.

Oh, bother. I can't embed pictures of once-magnificent swamps that have been decimated by logging. It takes hundreds of years for flooded woodlands to recover, maybe thousands, maybe never. Anyway, acres of cypress trees disappear overnight. And for what? To be shredded and bagged so that ignorant gardeners and "professional landscapers" can put hills of it around crepe myrtles and other useless foreign trees.

One day, a magnificent stand of trees that are crucial to the environment. The next day, bags of mulch in front of a store owned by a conscience-less merchant.

Edited by grav
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, grav said:

My own state, Louisiana, forbids clear-cutting cypress trees in the swamps that protect the land from erosion and hurricane damage.

Oh, bother. I can't embed pictures of once-magnificent swamps that have been decimated by logging. It takes hundreds of years for flooded woodlands to recover, maybe thousands, maybe never. Anyway, acres of cypress trees disappear overnight. And for what? To be shredded and bagged so that ignorant gardeners and "professional landscapers" can put hills of it around crepe myrtles and other useless foreign trees.

One day, a magnificent stand of trees that are crucial to the environment. The next day, bags of mulch in front of a store owned by a conscience-less merchant.

Weren't we gonna save millions of trees by going paperless with our handy dandy computers? Shredded junk mail makes a pretty good mulch and around here people are always cutting down DEAD trees so there's plenty of wood for any number of projects.

Fire is the cleanse that will probably put an end to all of life as we know it. I can think of a few places in DC that need cleaning up.

11 hours ago, grav said:

Heck in my little corner of Louisiana we had a burn ban until Friday when all this rain hit this way.  Thank goodness the rain came tho it was really dry in the south east part of the state. I live in a mill town but the mill does replace the trees they cut, that's more than a lot of companies can say. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.