Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CGK

Barbie Is A Spy

16 posts in this topic

Just in time for Christmas. The new Barbie "Spy"  Doll will hit the shelves and probably be on every little girls (and some boys) Christmas lists! This is creepy, very creepy!

'Hell No Barbie' campaign targets Hello Barbie over privacy concerns

Advocacy group wants to silence new high-tech Barbie that can talk back

Hello Barbie, an interactive doll with artificial intelligence, has made her big debut. She's now available for pre-order online in the U.S., just in time for the lucrative Christmas shopping season. 

This Barbie's added accessory is a showstopper — she can make real conversation.

But an American advocacy group wants to silence the chatty doll, claiming Hello Barbie may be a corporate spy that could jeopardize children's privacy.

Next week, the Campaign for a Commercial-Free Childhood (CCFC) plans to launch a "Hell No Barbie" campaign on social media and its website, warning parents and children to keep their distance from the doll.

"This is kind of the perfect storm of a bad toy," said Josh Golin, the group's executive director.

His organization argues the Wi-Fi connected doll — which is equipped with a tiny microphone — could act as a double agent, passing on personal information shared by your child for marketing research or nefarious purposes.

More:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/hello-barbie-1.3292361

1 person likes this

When I was a youngster in the '80s, a talking toy bear called Teddy Ruxpin was all the rage.

Teddy was no Ted, the foul-mouthed stuffed bear who comes to life in the raunchy 2012 film (and its sequel): Teddy Ruxpin couldn't interact with you; he was more of a furry cassette tape player with animatronic eyes and a mouth that sang songs and read stories.

Thirty years later (has it really been that long?) and talking toys have taken the next logical step. Mattel is releasing a talking version of Barbie this Christmas that can engage in two-way "conversation."

Hello Barbie is equipped with a microphone and Wi-Fi connection that's engaged when you hold down a button on the doll's belt (it does not "passively record" conversations - i.e., the microphone isn't always on).

When a child talks to Hello Barbie, the conversation is recorded and sent (encrypted) to a server where it's interpreted by speech-recognition software, and the doll "talks back" to the child with pre-programmed responses.

If that sounds creepy to you, you're not alone.

More:

https://nakedsecurity.sophos.com/2015/10/30/hell-no-barbie-social-media-campaign-targets-mattels-talking-toy/

Have you heard of Divorce Barbie?  It comes with all of Ken's stuff.

Wonder if Hello Barbie is run anything like Google voice technology. 

On a trip to Grandma's where there might not be a wifi station does the doll stop talking?

While the child is sleeping next to the doll, does it talk in their sleep?

Better yet, maybe they should've made an Obama doll, that can't talk without a teleprompter. 

I'd have to wonder if a male-ordered bride from Russia would be a spy that loved me.  Not sure about the Barbie doll.

Edited by counterintelligence

I can see it now, some little girl tells her Barbie that her baby brother cries all night and she can't sleep. Barbie says, Oh maybe you should make him be quiet so you can sleep. The little girl goes into the babies room and puts a pillow over his face and kills her brother because Barbie told her too.  Let the law suits fly!

1 person likes this

Barbie is just a more simplified version of the following, but has the potential to do more damage to the kids.

What happened to simon says?

You could just buy your kids a cell phone and it *COULD* practically do the same thing.  The cell phone already has the bug, but rarely it talks back. 

What a handy little tool for brainwashing children! 

I can't wait until someone hacks their server and gets creative with the dialogue!

/end sarcasm

We already get enough back talk from humans...no need to have this feature on a doll. Probably tied to facebook. :sad:

My own tablet spies on me. If I google Amazon or other online stores, ads for that product pop up on other sites. Some are generic, meant for a (ahem) male audience. Because I've never googled Beautiful Single Asian Women, Ben Carson, or Cash Loans, which is at the bottom of this page. I also don't like the girl at the check-out at Tractor Supply asking for my zip code or phone number. Hey, kid, none of your durn beeswax.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, grav said:

My own tablet spies on me. If I google Amazon or other online stores, ads for that product pop up on other sites. Some are generic, meant for a (ahem) male audience. Because I've never googled Beautiful Single Asian Women, Ben Carson, or Cash Loans, which is at the bottom of this page. I also don't like the girl at the check-out at Tractor Supply asking for my zip code or phone number. Hey, kid, none of your durn beeswax.

Instead of sales tax of the store, it's your zip code sales tax so that your lazy government can get more money to burn. 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.