Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Guitar Doc

Ego the Ultimate Chess Game

15 posts in this topic

Many of the scenes in this come from a film called "Revolver" from 2004 (I think). One of my favourite films (Cloud Atlas was also good and similarly themed, "we can only see ourselves through the eyes of the other" ).

If you want to become a more advanced being or a better player you have to play a more skilled opponent.

One of my favs as well and have learned much from it. I have a separate folder on ego, and honestly, it's really something we have no long lasting control over just because of human nature.

Mastering the game:

Rule one: The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.

Rule two: The more sophisticated the game the more sophisticated the opponent.

Edited by Cryptic Mole
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, Cryptic Mole said:

I didn't realize it was a Guy Ritchie film. I watched "the man from Uncle" last night. Best film I have seen all year. Another Guy Ritchie film, different flavour though.

Yes indeed. If you can control what controls you..... the only way to stop being played.

Self mastery is the key. Today we are not taught self mastery when several generations ago it was prized.

I learned my Ego was hiding things from me to keep me hamstringing myself. Embrace the pain win the game. That hidden side of yourself isn't pretty, but if you don't take the pain....

5 minutes ago, Guitar Doc said:

I didn't realize it was a Guy Ritchie film. I watched "the man from Uncle" last night. Best film I have seen all year. Another Guy Ritchie film, different flavour though.

Yes indeed. If you can control what controls you..... the only way to stop being played.

Self mastery is the key. Today we are not taught self mastery when several generations ago it was prized.

I learned my Ego was hiding things from me to keep me hamstringing myself. Embrace the pain win the game. That hidden side of yourself isn't pretty, but if you don't take the pain....

This is one of my favourite speeches from the film

There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists, until it's too late to do anything about it. It's the only reason you get up in the morning. The only reason you suffer the shitty boss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. Fear or revere me, but please, think I'm special. We share an addiction. We're approval junkies. We're all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The hip-hip-hoo-fuckin' rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on you crazy diamond, because we're just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others....

I learned from a master manipulator, who I had to let play me to find out what he was up to, how true that is. All he did was offer me approval over and over until, despite me knowing he was manipulating me, I became his friend and ally....until later when he put the knife in my back. He was good, second best manipulator I had ever met on-line.

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Guitar Doc said:

This is one of my favourite speeches from the film

There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists, until it's too late to do anything about it. It's the only reason you get up in the morning. The only reason you suffer the shitty boss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. Fear or revere me, but please, think I'm special. We share an addiction. We're approval junkies. We're all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The hip-hip-hoo-fuckin' rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on you crazy diamond, because we're just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others....

I learned from a master manipulator, who I had to let play me to find out what he was up to, how true that is. All he did was offer me approval over and over until, despite me knowing he was manipulating me, I became his friend and ally....until later when he put the knife in my back. He was good, second best manipulator I had ever met on-line.

That's my first video above. Did you watch/listen to it?

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Guitar Doc said:

Reminds me of something I used to say years ago about online communities: "I've been stabbed in the back so many times, I whistle when the wind blows." This is why I have such little patience with manipulators, the passive/aggressives. As soon as I smell it I slam the door.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.