Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DarkKnightNomeD

Everyone is getting Data Cappped

10 posts in this topic

I just got the message today

Anyway just read this page to understand..

http://unbreak-it.com/2014/08/data-cap-problem/

Over the past few years, several U.S. ISPs (Internet Service Providers) have started imposing data caps on their residential customers. This means the amount of data that you can download is limited, and if you go over you can face heavy fines. I’ve had many people ask me why ISPs would impose data cap. I hope with this article I can help shed some light on the real reasons data caps are in place, and hopefully change how we approach them.

The Reasoning

The current stance of many ISPs that impose data caps is that it is necessary to keep their network running smoothly. In fact, it’s done to protect the normal user from bad actors who “use a disproportionate amount of bandwidth”.

Plus, they say it only affects less than %1 of users anyways, so no biggie.

In a conversation with Suddenlink about my own data overage, the manager I spoke to went into even more detail. I was told that we need to think about the internet like a water utility. If someone was using more than their fair share of water there wouldn’t be enough water for the other customers. Action needs to be taken to prevent this from happening, and people who use more than their fair share of Internet need to be punished.

How Bandwidth Actually Works

Unfortunately, how the ISPs want you to think the Internet works, isn’t actually how it works. To understand why, we need to understand a little bit about networking. Let’s start by defining a couple terms.

Data is the size in 1’s and 0’s of the content you are consuming on the internet, and it is represented as bits or bytes. A bit represents one 1 or 0, and a byte is 8 bits. The size hierarchy from smallest to largest is generally text < pictures & audio < video. So text emails are usually smaller than pictures. Pictures and songs can vary in size depending on the quality and size/length. The fact that videos take up the most data is going to be very important later in the article.

Bandwidth is the amount of data or content being transferred over a given amount of time. You’ll see this advertised as megabits per second. If you had a 600 megabyte file and it took one minute to transfer, the bandwidth of the transfer would be either 600 megabytes/min,  10 megabytes/second, or 80 megabits/second. Generally when you are sold a residential internet plan the ISP sells you on the amount of bandwidth that you can use, not the amount of data.

Welcome to my world. It sucks. 10 gb a month. And slooooooowww. :IBPlzqK:

Money = Information Access is what many a good person died to prevent. Glad to see the fight continues. When my service provider tried that shit, we had enough words to adjust their opinion. Trick is not to be an asshole, but also hold your ground. Be surprised how far companies are willing to bend over to keep a customer because most of their customers don't know bitching = results. Welcome to the New America.

27 minutes ago, Last1oftheJedi said:

Money = Information Access is what many a good person died to prevent. Glad to see the fight continues. When my service provider tried that shit, we had enough words to adjust their opinion. Trick is not to be an asshole, but also hold your ground. Be surprised how far companies are willing to bend over to keep a customer because most of their customers don't know bitching = results. Welcome to the New America.

Call your provider and tell them, "I want to cancel my internet service". When they ask why, tell them you can't afford it.

You will suddenly be given, "The Loyalty Discount".

25 minutes ago, VonLud said:

Call your provider and tell them, "I want to cancel my internet service". When they ask why, tell them you can't afford it.

I'm outta green, so you get a ^ DAT TRUTH, YO

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, VonLud said:

Yes, you will. I wanted to cancel my service and I thought they were going to cry. I finally told her to get a grip and just do what I was asking. After I cancelled, they kept calling me with discounts. 

Netflix ain't gonna like being capped. Not sure they have enough clout though and then we'd be stuck with ridiculous on-demand prices from the monopoly cable companies.

2 minutes ago, YourMom2 said:

Netflix ain't gonna like being capped. Not sure they have enough clout though and then we'd be stuck with ridiculous on-demand prices from the monopoly cable companies.

Gots all the respect for ya Ma, now truth B told: Netflix > Cable, that's why those cable companies are working to impose these limits. People won't have it. Just like when AOL use to charge by the hour. It won't work. The people will not accept anything but the best in a free market, and while America is in all kinds of twisted, we still are a free market.

2 hours ago, YourMom2 said:

Amazon and Netflix teamed up together, along with other paid sites might be able to keep them from doing that all over, but like Last said, the people are not going to take it. I hope!

Haha! We take every right being stripped away but we're gonna keep our online entertainment!  Oh, the irony! 

2 people like this

It's about piracy mainly, they can word it however they like, but they are trying to end torrents.

Too bad they have to lie about the reasoning, there's plenty of data to go around for everyone.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.