Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.

The "Tiny House" Trend

22 posts in this topic

I've taken an interest in the whole downsizing thing, and wish that modern suburban life didn't require so many things. If you "own" a house, you must maintain it, and that requires various tools, substances, permits, etc. So many records and papers to file, so much time spent on things rarely used but occasionally required. Work to pay for house and stuff, cars to get to work, work to pay for cars... you know how it is. Yet self-sufficiency also means a lot of work, and if something goes wrong or is ruined, you may be set back months while also having to work your fields and care for your animals, or your family suffers.

But the CTer in me has begun to wonder if there might be a sinister side to the tiny house movement. Are we being conditioned to accept tiny cubicles as homes? I like simplicity as much as anyone, but this doesn't mean we have to live in shoe boxes. Does anyone think there might be more to this than meets the eye? Like flat earth or similar, this movement seemed to come to the forefront suddenly, with thousands of videos and resources. Are we being set up, or am I just paranoid?

I would live in a box if I had a nice piece of land that I actually owned without having to pay property taxes in perpetuity.

There has been a lot of talk lately about concentrating the population into a few mega-cities.

A high rise with your very own 110 square foot paradise and a helpful block commander on every floor.

I have lived small for years and love it . It keeps people from wanting to move in with you .

1 person likes this

On 10/27/2015, 8:53:09, VonLud said:

I would live in a box if I had a nice piece of land that I actually owned without having to pay property taxes in perpetuity.

There has been a lot of talk lately about concentrating the population into a few mega-cities.

A high rise with your very own 110 square foot paradise and a helpful block commander on every floor.

Yup, agreed. A tiny home or a storage container home on 20 acres would be sweet. I know a couple who lives on 20 acres where they practice permaculture to farm vegetables with 2 tiny homes & one regular size communal home that they built. They are living the dream. However that is not what the eruption of tiny living tv shows like "Tiny House Builders," "Tiny House Hunters," "Tiny House Living," and "Tiny House Nation" are promoting, it's conditioning to concentrate us in tiny apartments. If we internet search "tiny living surge trend", you'll see the usual suspects pushing the idea (TIME, NPR, Salon). They are making it hip so most people will welcome their own slavery. 

http://i.imgur.com/LaJ9Kmo.gif

Thanks for posting this subject Challenger. I have been pondering the sudden "tiny living" craze lately.

On 10/27/2015, 9:26:49, CSB said:

I have lived small for years and love it . It keeps people from wanting to move in with you .

:f7TRnPw:

Thanks for all the great comments. Good one about people not wanting to move in with you! (restrains self from making racist joke about Mexicans) and "it's a trap!"

But yeah, self-sufficiency is one thing (as long as people have trustworthy friends, because loners take a much greater risk), but conditioning to live in cramped quarters is a rising trend that concerns me.

Excellent observation Challenger.
Yes, I do think there is a sinister side to this.
It fits in perfectly with Obama's new HUD housing laws.

Obama collecting personal data for a secret race database

A key part of President Obama’s legacy will be the fed’s unprecedented collection of sensitive data on Americans by race. The government is prying into our most personal information at the most local levels, all for the purpose of “racial and economic justice.”

Unbeknown to most Americans, Obama’s racial bean counters are furiously mining data on their health, home loans, credit cards, places of work, neighborhoods, even how their kids are disciplined in school — all to document “inequalities” between minorities and whites
-----
The agency proposes using nonwhite populations of 50% or higher as the threshold for classifying segregated areas.

Federally funded cities deemed overly segregated will be pressured to change their zoning laws to allow construction of more subsidized housing in affluent areas in the suburbs, and relocate inner-city minorities to those predominantly white areas. HUD’s maps, which use dots to show the racial distribution or density in residential areas, will be used to select affordable-housing sites.

http://nypost.com/2015/07/18/obama-has-been-collecting-personal-data-for-a-secret-race-database/

Suburban Governments Were Just Nationalized by the Federal Government

It is not only forcing unnecessary racial integration, its forcing class integration and the destruction of the local governments who will officially become satellites of the urban areas. Neighborhoods will be diversified according to income levels. The plan is to make us into a classless society of the type Karl Marx promoted.

With this rule, HUD will have control of zoning, transportation, and education and, in the end, the politics. Just as the leftists took over the cities one-by-one, they will be able to consume the suburbs only at a far more rapid pace. This can be done on a massive, almost immediate scale.
-----
Using racism and ecology as excuses, Obama is orchestrating, through HUD and the EPA, the end of local government rule.

They want more “density” in population, the elimination of urban and federal boundaries, and they plan to make every neighborhood “diverse” by spreading the criminals around.
-----
Westchester County Executive Rob Astorino has been fighting it in Westchester, which is a test case. Liberal Westchester voted Conservative Astorino into office to stop it. In Westchester, HUD said a quarter-acre lot is discriminatory. They want all limits removed. Your home could end up next to a factory under their plan. Right now zoning rules protect inhabitants but the federal government will take away those protections.

http://www.independentsentinel.com/suburban-governments-were-just-nationalized-by-the-federal-government/

Is Seattle doing away with single-family homes?

Get rid of single-family zoning in Seattle. That's the big message in a draft report being worked on by Mayor Ed Murray's housing committee, obtained by The Seattle Times.

According to a draft letter, the city needs to move away from the idea that all families can live in their own home on a piece of land, the Times reports.
-----
The draft letter says that single-family zoning has "roots in racial and class exclusion. The zoning remains "among the largest obstacles to realizing the city's goals for equity and affordability," the Times reports.

http://mynorthwest.com/76/2782087/Report-Committee-considers-eliminating-singlefamily-zoning-in-Seattle

Home ownership is now racist.

:smfjsraq:

3 minutes ago, Lucy Barnable said:

Excellent observation Challenger.
Yes, I do think there is a sinister side to this.
It fits in perfectly with Obama's new HUD housing laws.

Obama collecting personal data for a secret race database

A key part of President Obama’s legacy will be the fed’s unprecedented collection of sensitive data on Americans by race. The government is prying into our most personal information at the most local levels, all for the purpose of “racial and economic justice.”

Suburban Governments Were Just Nationalized by the Federal Government

It is not only forcing unnecessary racial integration, its forcing class integration and the destruction of the local governments who will officially become satellites of the urban areas. Neighborhoods will be diversified according to income levels. The plan is to make us into a classless society of the type Karl Marx promoted.

Is Seattle doing away with single-family homes?

Home ownership is now racist.

Thanks! Truly disturbing info. I also think they want us learning how to make mud huts and "do without" for the same reasons. They want the gap between rich and poor to widen until the rich are practically "gods" with all the luxury and technology.

This hits our freedom more than any other thing I can think of, except maybe direct incarceration.

If they can mandate where, how and whom we live with, what else is left?

Are they going to do the same in Martha's Vineyard? Potomac Manors? Beverly Hills?

No.

I don't mind rich people. Just leave everyone else alone.

4 minutes ago, VonLud said:

This hits our freedom more than any other thing I can think of, except maybe direct incarceration.

If they can mandate where, how and whom we live with, what else is left?

Are they going to do the same in Martha's Vineyard? Potomac Manors? Beverly Hills?

No.

I don't mind rich people. Just leave everyone else alone.

It really does. The rich are control freaks and can't stand it when the peons have autonomy. They really can't leave us alone.

3 minutes ago, Challenger said:

It really does. The rich are control freaks and can't stand it when the peons have autonomy. They really can't leave us alone.

How rich do you have to be to get in the club? I don't think it's all a matter of money. Being independently wealthy and being in a position to control others through policy seem to be two different things.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.