Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Donate Blood or Jail! US court gives choice to those who can't pay fines

24 posts in this topic

I'll take donate blood. Seems a no brainer, and God bless em for giving those a rock bottom a shot to pick themselves back up. I know, i know, 9 outta 10 will blow it. But if only 1 does it right... (Raises mic to the audience) Then it was worth it.

:ohmy:
That is so wrong!

For Offenders Who Can’t Pay, It’s a Pint of Blood or Jail Time

“Good morning, ladies and gentlemen,” began Judge Wiggins, a circuit judge here in rural Alabama since 1999. “For your consideration, there’s a blood drive outside,” he continued, according to a recording of the hearing. “If you don’t have any money, go out there and give blood and bring in a receipt indicating you gave blood.”

For those who had no money or did not want to give blood, the judge concluded: “The sheriff has enough handcuffs.”
-----
“What happened is wrong in about 3,000 ways,” said Arthur L. Caplan, a professor of medical ethics at NYU Langone Medical Center, part of New York University. “You’re basically sentencing someone to an invasive procedure that doesn’t benefit them and isn’t protecting the public health.”

Reached by phone, Judge Wiggins said: “I cannot speak with you.”
-----
On Monday, the Southern Poverty Law Center filed an ethics complaint against Judge Wiggins, saying he had committed “a violation of bodily integrity.” The group also objected to the hearing beyond the matter of blood collection, calling the entire proceeding unconstitutional.
-----
Mr. Crocker, 41, who made the recordings of Judge Wiggins, also recorded the employees of the mobile blood bank, who seemed fully aware of the sentence-reduction arrangement. Mr. Crocker said he grew even more uncomfortable later, after he recognized the blood bank, LifeSouth Community Blood Centers, which had recently lost a $4 million judgment for an H.I.V.-tainted blood transfusion.
-----
Ms. Evans said that after receiving a complaint, LifeSouth quarantined and tested the blood, tried to contact all the donors and eventually discarded nearly all of the blood units collected.
-----
However, Sara Zampierin, a lawyer at the Southern Poverty Law Center, said that in the handful of instances she reviewed of people who gave blood, none had received the $100 discount they had been promised.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/20/us/for-offenders-who-cant-pay-its-a-pint-of-blood-or-jail-time.html?_r=0

Classy. lol.

I would hate to be someone who gets mine.

Some people have blood which is poisonous to others, Ozzy Ozbourne and Lemmy from motor-head for a couple of examples. Their blood isn't worth the bag holding it to other people.

Classy. lol.

Some people have blood which is poisonous to others, Ozzy Ozbourne and Lemmy from motor-head for a couple of examples. Their blood isn't worth the bag holding it to other people.

Well don't give your blood away then.

I never have and never will.

+1

:IGly6RW:

On so many levels...

It's absolutely outrageous!
He should lose his job at the very least.

I wouldn't have done it.
I would rather go to jail.

It's absolutely outrageous!
He should lose his job at the very least.

I wouldn't have done it.
I would rather go to jail.

Agreed!  It's just sick.

For sure, I would never give away part(s) of my body to anybody, not for any reason.

Classy. lol.

True.
Anyone who has had cancer can't donate.
Neither can anyone weighing under 110 lbs.
Some people have very valuable blood though.
I wonder how long before they're forced to "donate".

I wonder how long before they're forced to "donate".

That's the slippery slope that this so-called "judge" has started on; and why anyone with an ounce of humanity ought to oppose it.

they may give my blood to all the anti weed activists and politicians that are keeping it illegal. 

watch em do a 180 !!!

comment about the topic: that judge should be arrested for treason. and walk the plank...aarrrggghhh.

Edited by Radio
comment

they may give my blood to all the anti weed activists and politicians that are keeping it illegal. 

watch em do a 180 !!!

:yShVbSg:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.