Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guitar Doc

Wild New Zealand

17 posts in this topic

People often ask me what NZ is like. A picture tells a thousand words so I will start a photo journal of the places near where I live in NZ, the Westcoast of the South Island.

People might be surprised by our state highways and I will take photos of some of the masonic monuments in the local area.

We had a gold rush here in 1867. It brought a lot of the population to NZ and many old mining sites and even abandoned towns can still be found (what is left of them) I will endeavour to take pictures over the next few months.

Here is some pics from some 4x4ing I did yesterday. The location is Rapahanic valley. I will resize some more later and add as I go.

IMG_3614_zpskrtzwqe1.jpg

Cool, that worked.

IMG_3606_zps3wet72hy.jpg

IMG_3655_zps8xjptpsf.jpg

These are old logging roads. By the looks they logged the place over 40 years ago but it could be less or more, I will ask around.

In NZ we are free to wander of into the bush as long as it isn't owned property, so anything that isn't owned is effectively public land with total access to NZers.

IMG_3668_zpstnmlvi0b.jpg

2 people like this

OMG...What beautiful photos! Thank You for sharing them with us! You are blessed to be surrounded by such natural beauty.

I have a cannon 300D, very old now, one of the first digital cameras under $1000

Some NZ native birds

IMG_3544_zpslmjg6ntu.jpg

IMG_3579_zpsn2wrao4z.jpg

This is a wild Chamois which wandering into my back yard over winter. A young one.

IMG_3569_zpspa3cv1wo.jpg

My neighbours deer. He has a deer farm. The Stags come close over winter to call to them during the Roar. On our farm the owner opens up the gate to the top paddocks over winter to let some wild deer in and later closes them as has venison at his leisure.

IMG_3676_zpsevyyfmeq.jpg

My back yard

IMG_3678_zpsmwgulkqh.jpg

We have calves in our back paddock presently. Herd replacements, takes two years to raise them before graduating to milkers. They start as Calves, then become yearlings and are classified as Heifers when 2 years old at which point they are AI'ed (artificially inseminated) to go on to become milking cows.

Front Yard

IMG_3680_zpshd2l4vw9.jpg

Some more shots of out the front

IMG_3681_zpssiwkqtig.jpg

Up the road

IMG_3682_zpsizzrujga.jpg

Believe it or not that piece of road is a State highway (we drive on the left in NZ). Outside of cities state highways are typically two lane. with only 4.4 million people in a nation roughly the same size as the UK or Japan we have to make do with very little money to make things happen.

These are real nice places to live in NZ, I can turn my Amplifiers up quite some way before the neighbour complain. The drawback is it is 30 minutes drive to a shop and 30 minutes to drive back. Makes you get very organized.

Edited by Guitar Doc

Back in the 60s, I was going to get out of the Air Force, move to NZ, and 'raise horses'; My wife is a philipina, we have 4 kids, when I found out the NZ ers don't like Maories in their White towns, I decided against it.

Back in the 60s, I was going to get out of the Air Force, move to NZ, and 'raise horses'; My wife is a philipina, we have 4 kids, when I found out the NZ ers don't like Maories in their White towns, I decided against it.

hmm can't say I have heard of that but I was born in 73. Which towns where the white towns?

From my trip to Reefton yesterday.

Reefton was a centre location inland on South Island of NZ during the Gold Rush of the 1860's 70's. It had a mobile population between 25,000 to 40,000 people at the time.

It was the first place to have public electric street lighting in NZ and it is thought the Southern Hemisphere.

IMG_3711_zpsdscpzyja.jpg

View from behind the public toilets. (what the painting is on)

IMG_3712_zpsnvdhw4rw.jpg

In front looking up the road. The lamp is a recreation of the originals.

IMG_3717_zps1nqvp3fi.jpg

Across the road here is the old bank which is for sale (the building not the bank)

IMG_3716_zpscsuaci5r.jpg

This is just out of Reefton, 5 minutes drive. Imagine living here.

IMG_3720_zps1fn9yr3g.jpg

NZ has no arable land by world standards. That is what non arable land looks like and the South Island is technically classified as Rock. Don't believe the BS about all the arable land disappearing when this is what a paddock on non-arable land looks like.

Another angle

IMG_3718_zpsxv7oc1rt.jpg

Edited by Guitar Doc

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.