Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YourMom2

I Want My British TV

13 posts in this topic

Americans are in dire straits when it comes to television shows. I know, I know, it's programming and it's evil yada yada yada BUT the BBC is different. They are famous for bringing us stories from the past and those of us that feel connected to the past can relate. I also realize some of the shows are rather soap opera-ish but they are well done and the characters are wonderful.

If you believe that watching TV is a total waste of time then I shall agree with you right here and now and you can move on to a thread more of your liking. For my other time-wasting friends please do share your favorite BBC shows and characters.

Downton Abbey  - The dowager countess is brilliant. One of the things I like about British TV is that the stories include the older generation and it's ok to be wrinkly. In America we are obsessed with the beautiful people, air brushing and the super skinny. The Brits have nosy old ladies and stuffy men that are funny and quirky.

Call the Midwife -  A true story of the east end of London in the late 1950s and early 1960s. The midwives work with the nuns to serve their community delivering babies of poor mothers. The nuns are far from evil and the midwives are a lovely group of women who genuinely care about others. As I've claimed in another thread, I'm a tough old broad but this show is so touching tissues should be kept at the ready.

Rosemary & Thyme  - A mystery series with two women digging up the dirt and solving murders at the same time. The real stars of the show are the stunning gardens of Europe.

Midsomer Murders - A detective drama with lovable Chief Inspector Barnaby. The characters are splendid but watching the show is like a tour of the English countryside as much of it is shot outdoors. By outdoors I mean it is shot from a moving vehicle taking in the panoramic view. This style of shooting is something ya don't get from US productions.

Doctor Who - No explanation necessary!

Torchwood - A spinoff from Doctor Who where Captain Jack and team investigate anomalies. Very touching show. The Brits handled the Captain's propensity for other men very tastefully and when it ended the Americans picked it up for a season. They managed to ruin a great show by turning it into a gay romp. For shame!

Doc Martin - Hilarious comedy. Love the village people and I'm not talking about YMCA.

There's probably tons of British Comedy that I haven't discovered yet (or forgotten). Of course, I'm a Monty Python fan and I can remember splitting my sides watching Faulty Towers many moons ago.

In all, I find that British TV isn't as fake as the USA. The actors are sometimes frumpy and/or overweight much like people are in real life. Not everyone is glamorous and this is where the US fails in trying to portray people as such and as something to aspire to.

Watched The Prisoner yet? (From the 1960s)

i have not but i just watched a 5 minute clip on youtube. It looks interesting.

i have not but i just watched a 5 minute clip on youtube. It looks interesting.

I recommend it

Watched The Prisoner yet? (From the 1960s)

I found episode 1 on YT. Watching it now! Patrick McGoohan is so young.

I almost lost interest after 1 or 2 episodes; however, once I got through 3 or 4 it got me interested.  If episode 1, 2/3 don't seem interesting then keep going a bit further, and you have to watch those first episodes if you want to properly 'get' what it's all about anyway.  Enjoy

I almost lost interest after 1 or 2 episodes; however, once I got through 3 or 4 it got me interested.  If episode 1, 2/3 don't seem interesting then keep going a bit further, and you have to watch those first episodes if you want to properly 'get' what it's all about anyway.  Enjoy

I find that's true of many shows...same as reading a book that takes a few chapters to get into it. I'm pretty sure I've seen this before when I was too young to understand what Orwellian meant. I remember that big blob!

Also a big Avengers fan.

I'm gonna lump Aussie TV in here too because they produce some funny stuff as well. My favorite thus far is

Rake - Criminal lawyer Cleaver Greene defends the indefensible - from bigamists to cannibals and everything in between. He is champion of the lost cause, both in the court room and in the bedroom.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1587000/

Season 1 and 2 streaming on Netflix. HILARIOUS from the first episode onward.

I'd suggest using the following search terms:

The Prisoner 1967
The Prisoner Wyrmspleen Stonehobbit

Ok, not British but Australian.

Farscape 

:lol_alpha:

I love entertainment that doesn't take itself too seriously.

An oldie but goodie...

Sherlock Holmes is the name given to the TV series of Sherlock Holmes adaptations produced by British television company Granada Television between 1984 and 1994, with the first two seasons bearing the title The Adventures Of Sherlock Holmes on screen and being followed by subsequent sub-series bearing the titles of the other short story collections by Arthur Conan Doyle.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.