Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RabidWolf

Why bother putting a title on a thread? OffTopic/Thread Derailment

Off Topic/Thread Derailing   9 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion about major thread derailing? (not just an off topic post here and there but pages of off topic discussion)

• Don't care. Thread titles are meaningless.
    • I like it and support the right to derail threads for "freedom of speech" and to aid shills and trolls around the world.
    • I dislike and think there should be enforced limits. (Freedom of speech is fine, and that is what the rest of the forum is for)
    • I hate it. It should not be allowed and violators should be issued warnings for doing it.
    • I have ADHD and oh look crayons!

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

20 posts in this topic

I am just curious as to what forum members think about threads going off topic for longer durations than a couple posts.

Personally I don't like it for a couple reasons:

1, It is a well known tactic for shills, trolls, and disinfo agents to muck up a discussion by throwing it off course. (and keeping it off course)
2. If a discussion runs a page or more off topic, then it really would have stood on its own as a thread.

I am not a fan of censorship with the intent of ending discussion though (if people want to debate off topic things, so be it), so I would not want derailed content to be removed from the forum, just separated from the thread it was posted in and made a thread of its own.

What are your thoughts on this?

Threads can be merged, so I'd assume they can be split as well. But I'm guessing that would be a pain if it isn't done early. 

Sometimes there are reasonable tangents within a topic, but in those cases maybe the OP can decide if it's too far off course.

Sometimes the topic is broad enough that I lose sense of boundarys, when I do this please point it out to me so I can improve. I welcome this type of guidance.

btw I voted dislike (3rd option.)

I go off topic sometimes, yesterday was a good example., but once realized, I apologize and try to correct course. At the end of the day, I like the job you mods do, so just keep doing you.

Edited by Last1oftheJedi
I voted ADHD, because I'm me, and that's not quite me, but fuck it, it's close enough. e.e
1 person likes this

Threads can be merged, so I'd assume they can be split as well. But I'm guessing that would be a pain if it isn't done early. 

Sometimes there are reasonable tangents within a topic, but in those cases maybe the OP can decide if it's too far off course.

It isn't all that time consuming to split posts out of a thread and create a new thread with them.  (just clicking check boxes)
The forum software makes moderating very easy to do.

Sometimes the topic is broad enough that I lose sense of boundarys, when I do this please point it out to me so I can improve. I welcome this type of guidance.

btw I voted dislike (3rd option.)

I do that too sometimes as I think most of us do. :smile: 

I go off topic sometimes, yesterday was a good example., but once realized, I apologize and try to correct course. At the end of the day, I like the job you mods do, so just keep doing you.

Thank you. I personally like feedback, as we are always trying to improve this site in every way possible. (But having to to tread that fine line between allowing freedom of speech and speech that could potentially get the site shut down due to some insane law, is not easy to do at times. Sometimes we just plain make mistakes, so having members who are understand that we are doing our best is good to know.)

2 people like this

Thread heading is the "advertising" placed on the content.  Most of us actually have a day-job too and cannot (even if we wanted to) spend 8 hours a day on the net.  Thus the heading is that bit that entices me to open the thread and read the content.  In many (most) cases it follows logically.  Sometimes the tread is interrupted with an injection which in itself was without intent, but the rebuttal that follows (that which is sometimes called free speech but could very well be bullshit too) from other posters which hijacks and/or details the intent of the posters original message and content.

Being a moderator is not a nice job, being a site admin is even worse!  Yet, there comes a time where the thread needs to be brought back to the original intent of the poster.  It is so that we as a community may loose the contributions from posters because the get fed-up when original intent is derailed time and again. 

The fine line comes in when moderators need to bite the bullet and get the tread back on track by being very diplomatic..

Personally, I loose interest when a thread is hijacked for what ever reason and may then loose-out on valuable info!

Stick (as far as possible) to the original poster' topic!

Some people have agendas...they just can't help themselves even if they're not shillin'. I'm guilty of responding to those derailers so if you're cleaning up threads, delete away...no whining or crying from me. I've only been here a short time but it's a good fit, I like most of the posters and I don't take it too seriously so it's FUN to go OT for a few posts. Boring for new people, though. Sorry!

Guitar Doc suggested that we write original material and that would bring more CTers to the site. I've started a thread in that vein but admittedly need to update it. Are you in agreement with this tactic of having more original content rather than the usual cut and paste, discuss, that is the norm?

1 person likes this

Some people have agendas...they just can't help themselves even if they're not shillin'. I'm guilty of responding to those derailers so if you're cleaning up threads, delete away...no whining or crying from me. I've only been here a short time but it's a good fit, I like most of the posters and I don't take it too seriously so it's FUN to go OT for a few posts. Boring for new people, though. Sorry!

Guitar Doc suggested that we write original material and that would bring more CTers to the site. I've started a thread in that vein but admittedly need to update it. Are you in agreement with this tactic of having more original content rather than the usual cut and paste, discuss, that is the norm?

I would appreciate it if folk would qualify some of the stuff.  Spit-and-paste stuff is fine, but what do YOU the originator think.  Elaborate a bit, say you agree or disagree or add some additional information.  Just sticking up a link and nothing else seems a bit lazy and undecided.  To be genuinely original on quite a few topics is going to be difficult if not near impossible, but collating some data and then extrapolating from it a core around which you can build your material, that is cool and appreciated!

Then again, not all of us are that clever so we just go and Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V and wala the thread is done!  ((Guilty as charged))

Sometimes a thread topic and its discussion brings to mind a new question. In this example it's the reviving of very old threads.

for example if I wanted to talk about "blue widgets" and I search the threads and find an old thread about them. Is it better to add to the existing "old thread" with comments or start my own? 

Ive seen mods on tech forums get upset over "grave digging old threads" many times. I don't know how it is here?

and also, would this question have been more appropriate as a thread starter or topic on its own separately or is it better here. In other words, did I just make an example of thread derailment?

Sometimes a thread topic and its discussion brings to mind a new question. In this example it's the reviving of very old threads.

for example if I wanted to talk about "blue widgets" and I search the threads and find an old thread about them. Is it better to add to the existing "old thread" with comments or start my own? 

Ive seen mods on tech forums get upset over "grave digging old threads" many times. I don't know how it is here?

and also, would this question have been more appropriate as a thread starter or topic on its own separately or is it better here. In other words, did I just make an example of thread derailment?

We don't have any policy in place for zombie threads. Personally, I don't mind if the new post to any old thread is more than a single line of text asking for others to post more to it or just posting a emote for a "bump".  I believe consolidating ideas in threads no matter how old they are is more of a benefit to forum members than having to search through potentially dozens of threads with very similar if not identical topics and content.

I suspect that any forum that complains about zombie threads is more interested in having quantity over quality.

It may be a little off topic, but where better to ask site related questions than an active thread where you know the staff will look? :)

Edited by RabidWolf
1 person likes this

I think I'm guilty of this at times. When a comment reminds me of something else I put it in the thread if I think there's interest.
Like in Grav's NASA says thread. I saw a comment about the Archons being spider-like and I left a crappy link (all I could find) to Dagdagiel, a spider-like demon.
Or if someone asks a question that's not directly related to the topic I'll answer it if I can. Perhaps we should use PM for that?

I also sometimes resurrect old threads (if I can find them) instead of creating new ones when I come across updates.
I think that's a way to give credit to the person who originally found the info and also to keep all the info in one place.
Plus sometimes there's several threads on almost the same topic with only a few replies each. 
Maybe a better or more broad discussion would occur if they were merged? idk...

I'm not quite sure how to vote.
I went with #3 because I would like to be corrected if I'm doing anything wrong or out of line.
You guys are doing a great job and I appreciate all your effort. Thanks for asking for our input.

:heart:

I don't have an objection to what you are talking about Lucy. I think what bothers most people about derailment is intentional trolling that takes the subject completely away from civil discourse and is nothing but picking fights inside the thread.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.