Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

Guns for blind people.

9 posts in this topic

Iowa Issuing Gun Permits to Legally Blind People

Iowa grants permits for blind residents to carry guns in public

http://www.desmoinesregister.c...

http://news.yahoo.com/iowa-gra...

http://concealednation.org/201...

In what might seem to be an alarming development in the gun control debate, officials in Iowa say they have been granting weapons permits to blind people.

According to the Des Moines Register, the Polk County Sheriff's Office says it has issued permits to at least three people who "can’t legally drive and were unable to read the application forms or had difficulty doing so because of visual impairments." And officials in at least three other counties say they have granted permits to visually impaired residents because state law forbids sheriffs from denying the right to carry a weapon based on a physical disability.

“It seems a little strange, but the way the law reads, we can’t deny them (a permit),” Sgt. Jana Abens, a spokeswoman for the Polk County sheriff’s office, told the newspaper.

Just exactly how many blind Iowans have permits to carry guns is unclear. State officials say they do not collect that information when the permits are issued.

But the visually-impaired people who are given permits say they are perfectly capable of handling their weapons.

"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary," Michael Barber, who is blind, told the paper.

That's right.

Guns for blind people. BLIND PEOPLE.

Iowa's gun laws changed starting on January 1, 2011, allowing anyone, even the legally blind to apply for a conceal and carry permit online. The shooting test requirement was dropped, which had previously excluded those who were severely vision challenged.

Congrats America, you have officially crossed the threshold of absurd Twilight Zone reality.

"When you shoot a gun, you take it out and point and shoot, and I don't necessarily think eyesight is necessary," Michael Barber, who is blind, told the paper.

Maybe they are accompanied by a seeing eye dog that is a sharpshooter. :lol_alpha:

Maybe they are accompanied by a seeing eye dog that is a sharpshooter. :lol_alpha:

ROFL...

hmm

I wonder how many Mexicans and muzzy's have permits

Good question ! But I think one has to be a American citizen to get a permit . But then these people get everything they want .

Good question ! But I think one has to be a American citizen to get a permit . But then these people get everything they want .

Haha. California issues drivers licenses to illegal immigrants like it's candy on Halloween. So these people definitely get whatever they want.

Edited by Mr. Anonymous

I don't have a problem with it. It is probably a good idea to understand what "legally blind" means.

From Iowa's Department For The Blind: 
http://www.idbonline.org/legal-definition-blindness )

What is the Legal Definition of Blindness?

Legal blindness occurs when a person has central visual acuity (vision that allows a person to see straight ahead of them) of 20/200 or less in his or her better eye with correction. With 20/200 visual acuity, a person can see at 20 feet, what a person with 20/20 vision sees at 200 feet.

In determining legal blindness, visual field (the part of a person's vision that enables them to see what is happening to the side of them) is also considered. A visual field of 20 degrees or less is considered to be legally blind.  Eye care professionals can assist in diagnosing legal blindness.

Legally Blind doesn't mean no vision at all. If a blurry blob is attacking me, I would like to have the right and ability to defend myself by any means necessary.

Edited by RabidWolf
fixed quote

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.