Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Sunpar

Did You Know?: September 3,1752 to September 13, 1752 : ERASED from TIME

5 posts in this topic

http://www.onthisday.com/events/date/1752

September 3 - Britain and the British Empire (including the American colonies) adopt the Gregorian Calendar, losing 11 days. People riot thinking the government stole 11 days of their lives
September 14 -Britain (and American colonies) adopt Gregorian calendar (no Sept 3-Sept 13th)

Most Western European countries changed the start of the year to 1 January before they adopted the Gregorian calendar. For example, Scotland changed the start of the Scottish New Year to 1 January in 1600 (this means that 1599 was a short year). England, Ireland and the British colonies changed the start of the year to 1 January in 1752 (so 1751 was a short year with only 282 days) though in England the start of the tax year remained at 25 March (O.S.), 5 April (N.S.) till 1800, when it moved to 6 April. Later in 1752 in September the Gregorian calendar was introduced throughout Britain and the British colonies. These two reforms were implemented by the Calendar (New Style) Act 1750. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_calendar

---

So, right now this time period 263 years ago, the British Empire (including the American colonies), just decided that in order to adopt the Gregorian Calendar 11 days must be erased from time. Do you think anyone has even addressed this in their ancestry? Historical trivia still boggles me mind. :nC4c5mQ:

What really happens, I wonder, when you pay "blank space" forward? I always wondered why the month of September felt strange for me; perhaps, this is why.

The Julian calendar was replaced by the Gregorian calendar to reflect the actual time it takes the earth to circle once around the sun. That was in 1582 so they've been jackin' with the world for centuries.

Interesting. We tortilla earthers need to figure out how the year is really determined. 

1 person likes this

Interesting. We tortilla earthers need to figure out how the year is really determined. 

Maybe it is the time it takes a Leprechaun to walk from one side to the other..        Leprechaun            i'm sorry emoticon 

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.