Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
CSB

Video: Are You a Slave?

4 posts in this topic

This symbolic short film by Santiago Bou Grasso addresses the way we interact in our society by focusing on an average work day. Without a single word spoken, the artist demonstrates our tendency to view others as objects rather than thinking, feeling human beings.

While the cartoon can be interpreted in a number of ways, the overall message conveyed seems to be that we are focused on “things” rather than “people,” and in doing so we tend to dehumanize those around us. This type of human interaction is often referred to as “I-It Communication,” in which we treat others very impersonally.

A few examples of this communication can be found in interactions with salespeople, servers in restaurants, and clerical staff—many times these people aren’t even acknowledged. If you have ever walked past a homeless person asking for money or food as though they didn’t exist, you have participated in I-It communication.

Our system is a form of slavery, albeit a subtle one, which is why most people are unaware of their predicament. We easily accept our miserable, low-paying jobs as just another unpleasant aspect of life, after all, how else are most of us to pay a couple thousand dollars a month for our crappy, cockroach infested apartments? And those packages of Ramen Noodles, generic bread, and almost expired, “sale of the week” hamburger tubes aren’t going to pay for themselves.

Humans weren’t meant to be slaves to a system in which we isolate ourselves from, and use others to “get ahead” in life. We are social beings, and isolating ourselves from those around us is opposite of what our species craves.

1 person likes this

I could not watch so I'm just bouncing off your commentary. 

We have been programmed to pursue the "American " (materialistic) dream. Both parents work and others raise our children. Our children go to school where the clothes and shoes they wear are more important than the content of their heart.
 We would rather interact with an electronic device because the approval of strangers on social media is the replacement for real interaction with family and friends. 
It seems that utility value is the only driving factor for friendships these days and is a direct result of the poison of materialistic values replacing human  care and compassion.
 Those of us who see this degradation of our humanness are dwindling. Those who are being programmed by having their intelligence override their humanity are growing in numbers every day. 

I call us citizen-slaves.

We think we're free. But we belong to the corporation of the UNITED STATES. All capital letters is legalese.  We are their property. Chattel.

I call us citizen-slaves.

We think we're free. But we belong to the corporation of the UNITED STATES. All capital letters is legalese.  We are their property. Chattel.

Grav, now normally I would agree with you as that's the way I was many years ago even
though being taught very young that's not the way its supposed to be. Once those planted
thoughts began to open up to me, and when I began to question what I was seeing, and
what I was taught,
I finally realized that being a slave was only a state of mind.

Grav, it's real easy to be free. It only takes two words to start, and those two words are...
"
FUCK IT"... You'll work out all the details off of those two words. Try it for yourself.

I'll even bet that CSB the OP understands this just by the types of posts he posts.

Edited by Cryptic Mole

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.