Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunter

Preparing for the worst, and "Hi, I'm new here"

21 posts in this topic

First, hello. Just found this forum. I'm not normally much of a "conspiracy person", nor am I normally a "prepper"... but recent and current events have given me the unsettling feeling that things are headed south and better to prepare than get caught off guard. So... first, heres a little history about me.

I am a young entrepreneur with a few businesses. One of which is now thriving (but small mind you... 10-20 employees) the others are newer and just about at the “operating in the black” threshold. I'm doing what I can to prepare for the worst while balancing that without overly taxing my business's capital holdings to a degree that will stunt or prohibit future growth should things go good or just not as bad as could be expected. The nature of my core business requires a lot of capital on hand to pursue new opportunities for growth. Typically we have a very large amount of cash on hand (read much more than FDIC insurance would cover) and the business has never and will never borrow a penny from anyone. Prior to this, I was in the USMC.

One fear I have is the dollar collapse and that money currently having a buying power of X becoming a fraction of X despite the account balance not changing. Converting the money to another currency, or moving it offshore is not an option. I've maxed out 401k for years as it's an effective means to get money out of the company effectively. Presently have <$1k in any sort of stock markets outside of the 401k.

What I've done in the past year to prepare for anything bad (be that total and utter collapse and back to the stone age, or merely a severe economic downturn)

• Mostly accumulating silver in the past few years with some gold as well. Silver has the added benefit of being able to be used for water purification and as an antimicrobial

• Began accumulating bitcoins

• Purchased some acreage about an hour outside the city I live in. Land is on a coastal river and I can collect enough food from the river alone to feed a small army if needed, but the land is fertile, unmolested, and able to grow traditional crops.

• Constructing a FEMA compliant shelter on said acreage. 6" thick reinforced concrete floor, walls, and roof, all insulated concrete forms. Plan on fitting with a watertight flood/blast door, and NBC positive pressure filter, existing water well is located inside shelter and will be filtered, and RO/DI'ed to ensure good water.

• Currently have a seed bank at the property. About to start planting sweet potato plants out there which in my opinion is one of the best possible means of food production.

• Have and am increasing emergency rations at the land

• Have heavy equipment at the acreage, currently trying to locate a large fuel trailer so I can have plenty of fuel on site.

• Stockpiling sandbags at land.

• Plan on getting solar out there as soon as possible, and keeping a large battery bank in the shelter.

• Have a stockpile of first aid... antibiotics, suture kits, blood clotter, and the normal things.

• Have a stockpile of ammo, firearms, camo, body armor, etc.

• Have and am experienced with training dogs for tactical use. There is no better early warning system than a trained dog IMO.

The plan here being that I can have a sustainable location off grid should the need arise. Should I be unable to make it there in a crisis, or unable to defend that location, I can always fall back on traditional “fire & maneuver” tactics practiced and learned in my military experience (which is in many ways far easier than occupying and defending a static location anyway).

What would you say is the best way to preserve and protect the actual value of the dollars in the bank? On the bright side (correct me if I’m wrong… I’m no economist or fancy myself wise with money), if the dollar’s value was to collapse (and that be the extent more or less of the looming crisis), the value of debts accrued in dollars would collapse in proportion… in other words, there should be little focus on paying down any debt at this point especially if it is very low interest (for example, I have a mortgage ~2.7% which inflation should outpace any interest savings by trying to pay this mortgage in full early). It would seem I’d be best served by expending capital to get whatever is needed to secure safety and stability in the near future, and put the rest of what I can in some form of hedge against inflation/dollar collapse… be that metals, tangible assets, other currencies, cryptocurrency, etc?

So... thoughts, criticism, discussion and suggestions?

3 people like this

Thanks CM. I was hoping you might be able to help with the last subject in the original post. If the smart money is getting out of the stock and other markets... where is it going? 

Thanks CM. I was hoping you might be able to help with the last subject in the original post. If the smart money is getting out of the stock and other markets... where is it going? 

Gold

They are running to solid assets. Things that keep value.

Gold

what is the best source for verified bullion purchase close to spot price with reasonable delivery? My last source has gone belly up

what is the best source for verified bullion purchase close to spot price with reasonable delivery? My last source has gone belly up

Sorry, I never advise on where to purchase precious metals.

Hi Hunter, welcome. You sound a lot more prepared than most people and you are obviously asking all the right questions. If we only knew what was going to happen for sure, it would be a lot easier to know what to do with dollars. I'm in a dilemma myself regarding some cash and I don't intend to buy gold with all of it. I'm thinking of some real estate. If the dollar doesn't crash but real estate does it again, then for me personally, that MIGHT work (stuck holding dollars and waiting). If the dollar crashes then everything else will to, will it be in proportion to hard assets? I wish I knew the answer to that. Because if a devaluation of the dollar happened and other hard assets crashed harder because no one has money but a few to buy... then there's still an advantage the way I see it for me. (still stuck holding dollars and waiting).

What i feel is going to happen is the interest rates are going to be jacked up by the Fed and people holding variable rate interest loans are going to lose real estate to foreclosure just like the last time. They are on the fence according to them right now. If the job situation keeps getting worse (though they say it is better) then all of this will be a rinse and repeat of 2008.  More people losing their homes and real estate to foreclosure.

If the fed goes to QE4, I believe if done wrong then it can cause hyperinflation.  Stuck holding dollars very bad in that situation. They aren't saying what's up with that either.

My short answer is I don't know what I am going to do yet. I wish I did. Maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am and I'm doing it all wrong, but it's how I'm doing it for right now.

I don't know if I helped you any or not, probably not. lol 

There are plenty of places to buy gold that are reputable, you just have to watch out for the spot diff which you already know about and SHIPPING and HANDLING can eat up too much of it too.

Guns are always a good investment. Adding to your supplies is always an option but there has to be a point where you stop because if nothing happens, you won't be able to use what you have and things can go to waste in a big way.  I don't want to eat prep food until I have to, most of it is not very healthy (mres etc).

Edited by Cinnamon

Sorry, I never advise on where to purchase precious metals.

Fair enough. It I may ask, why do you not advise? Because of simply not your area of expertise, because you don't wish to jeopardize a private source, or something else? Buying gold in 1oz or more I can find sources with reasonable markups over spot, but with silver at $14 and change an oz I can't find anywhere thats near spot

Hi Hunter, welcome. You sound a lot more prepared than most people and you are obviously asking all the right questions. If we only knew what was going to happen for sure, it would be a lot easier to know what to do with dollars. I'm in a dilemma myself regarding some cash and I don't intend to buy gold with all of it. I'm thinking of some real estate. If the dollar doesn't crash but real estate does it again, then for me personally, that MIGHT work (stuck holding dollars and waiting). If the dollar crashes then everything else will to, will it be in proportion to hard assets? I wish I knew the answer to that. Because if a devaluation of the dollar happened and other hard assets crashed harder because no one has money but a few to buy... then there's still an advantage the way I see it for me. (still stuck holding dollars and waiting).

What i feel is going to happen is the interest rates are going to be jacked up by the Fed and people holding variable rate interest loans are going to lose real estate to foreclosure just like the last time. They are on the fence according to them right now. If the job situation keeps getting worse (though they say it is better) then all of this will be a rinse and repeat of 2008.  More people losing their homes and real estate to foreclosure.

If the fed goes to QE4, I believe if done wrong then it can cause hyperinflation.  Stuck holding dollars very bad in that situation. They aren't saying what's up with that either.

My short answer is I don't know what I am going to do yet. I wish I did. Maybe I'm not as smart as I think I am and I'm doing it all wrong, but it's how I'm doing it for right now.

I don't know if I helped you any or not, probably not. lol 

There are plenty of places to buy gold that are reputable, you just have to watch out for the spot diff which you already know about and SHIPPING and HANDLING can eat up too much of it too.

Guns are always a good investment. Adding to your supplies is always an option but there has to be a point where you stop because if nothing happens, you won't be able to use what you have and things can go to waste in a big way. 

Thanks. Yeah there are so many variables at play its hard to figure what the best way forward is... so I'm keeping it diverse as a hedge against committing to deeply to one particular method or strategy

Fair enough. It I may ask, why do you not advise? Because of simply not your area of expertise, because you don't wish to jeopardize a private source, or something else? Buying gold in 1oz or more I can find sources with reasonable markups over spot, but with silver at $14 and change an oz I can't find anywhere thats near spot

I wont advise because I have my own local and private broker whom I do
business with, so I wouldn't be recommending him as he does not sell to the
public.

Edited by Cryptic Mole

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.