Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rbear

HOW POPULAR MUSIC’S LYRICS PERPETUATE AMERICAN IDIOCY

8 posts in this topic

A recent study served to confirm the patently obvious: song lyrics for the most popular genres of music are ridiculously obtuse — and getting worse over time. Though this might not be a revelation, the figures are distressing indicators of both an intellectually vapid societal and cultural future as well as its apparent inevitability. If you’ve already moved away from Billboard music, congratulations, you refuse to be insulted. But if you haven’t, or if you’re concerned about pop culture trends acting as portents of systemic dysfunction, you should probably pay attention. Andrew Powell-Morse of SeatSmart studied the “Lyric Intelligence” of 225 Billboard songs in the Pop, Country, Hip-hop, and Rock genres that spent three or more weeks parked at the top of the charts to analyze any changes over the course of ten years. And change there was. Ten years ago, the most popular songs read between a third and fourth grade level, but the inanity only increased with time, and after a five-year downward tumble ending in 2014 (the last year of the study), chart-topping hits had a reading level equivalent to second or third grade. Broken into genres, the levels measured just 2.6 for Hip-hop/R&B, a tie of 2.9 for Rock and Pop, and faring best was Country at 3.3 — though declaring a winner in this insipid race to the bottom seems somewhat defeatist. Even further to that point, the most intellectually stimulating song, Blake Shelton’s Country hit “All About Tonight”, measured just 5.8, while wading deeply into the ludicrous was Three Days Grace’s “The Good Life”, at a level equivalent to 0.8 — begging the question, did they have to try to craft lyrics a kindergartner could easily read? So how did this happen and why is it getting even worse? For the sake of brevity, this is a systemic issue being reinforced across the board by pandemic anti-intellectualism. Some have argued there is no harm in a bit of mindless distraction, but this is incontrovertibly false. When just six corporations control 90% of the media, and 80% of radio stations have identical playlists, mindless content isn’t a choice — it’s a virtual mandate. In this self-propelled cycle of banality, the conglomerates dictate content to be promoted by radio, which in turn pushes it endlessly, creating a false perception that what is being played is due to listener demand. But this insidious marketing ploy is more akin to kidnapping and is every bit as dangerous cont http://www.disclose.tv/news/how_popular_musics_lyrics_perpetuate_american_idiocy/121904

Wait, they actually have words in songs? I though they just repeated oh, oh, oh a hundred times. It gives me the creeps. I can't go to restaurants that play that mu-sick, slop-pop, kuntry, rap krap. 

Architecture has also gone to the dark and dreary side. New homes look like giant dentist offices now, with manicured lawns that look like a cemetery. No charm, no practicality. 

How about clothing? Holy cow! Styles include tramp (or ho'), thug, retro, or bedroom attire, like you just got up and are still wearing your pj's or lacy nightgown. 

The elites are destroying all that was good in culture. Upside down and screwed up is the new norm.

Wait, they actually have words in songs? I though they just repeated oh, oh, oh a hundred times. It gives me the creeps. I can't go to restaurants that play that mu-sick, slop-pop, kuntry, rap krap. 

Architecture has also gone to the dark and dreary side. New homes look like giant dentist offices now, with manicured lawns that look like a cemetery. No charm, no practicality. 

How about clothing? Holy cow! Styles include tramp (or ho'), thug, retro, or bedroom attire, like you just got up and are still wearing your pj's or lacy nightgown. 

The elites are destroying all that was good in culture. Upside down and screwed up is the new norm.

A Generation bred to believe in consumption and destruction for personal gain. This is why all the young teens really dont care about anyone but themselves. They Consume and Destroy. They know no other way.

A Generation bred to believe in consumption and destruction for personal gain. This is why all the young teens really dont care about anyone but themselves. They Consume and Destroy. They know no other way.

I agree to disagree. Each one of us has something like a conscious. The problem is that people water it down and "pretend like it doesn't exist" to where they don't feel/hear it anymore, so that it doesn't get in their way, so they can serve their own agenda. I have seen this time and time again, and continue to see it. Many people (most it seems) are fine to be slaves and don't seem to question anything as they are too stuck on this world and its things, never looking past what they might gain from not being "eyes wide shut" See  Mark Passio - Cosmic Abandonment https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Mark+Passio+-+Cosmic+Abandonment (I've only heard the 217.05 version, but may hear the 649.03 and the rest tonight or tomorrow if I finally get caught up on my tabs/research. The more research I do it seems, the more I have to do lol. (videos take forever and takes away productivity as well as writing/reading/cross referencing/etc) I could just walk away, however 

EPH 5:11:DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN THE UNFRUITFUL DEEDS OF DARKNESS, BUT INSTEAD EXPOSE THEM;

and besides that if I waste time on trying to find/get a job I am told "too qualified for 10 years now " so idk. I guess I could waste my time with mainstream music/videos/etc but maybe in heaven I will be allowed to finally get what I was missing since I have been screwed my entire life and continue to be, at least it would only be fair.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.