Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Arnie L

How can I avoid GMOs?

4 posts in this topic

For instance, we have tried out hand at growing vegetables on a few occasions but the best we can usually come up with is some really awesome weeds (lack of honey bees may be a problem). It was more of a hobby, labor of love type of thing anyway, so we never took it that seriously. On paper it never made sense, compared to what it costs to just buy produce.

However, if I were to decide to get serious about gardening and preserve  like my mom did, how will I know the seed stock I buy isn't already GMO crap to start with? I'm sure I am not the only person out there with a brown thumb. I can totally see the corporations doing a little wizardry with my seeds to make it appear I can suddenly garden like a pot farmer in Washington. When in reality its just a quick gene swap here, a little radiation there and POOF! I can suddenly garden.

And if I keep seed stock from something I grow personally, would the GMO aspect lessen generation after generation, or is it something that once its in the plant DNA its there forever?

Thank god I am the age I am. Knowing what I know about what goes on in this world and being young still would drive me insane.

-AL

For instance, we have tried out hand at growing vegetables on a few occasions but the best we can usually come up with is some really awesome weeds (lack of honey bees may be a problem). It was more of a hobby, labor of love type of thing anyway, so we never took it that seriously. On paper it never made sense, compared to what it costs to just buy produce.

However, if I were to decide to get serious about gardening and preserve  like my mom did, how will I know the seed stock I buy isn't already GMO crap to start with? I'm sure I am not the only person out there with a brown thumb. I can totally see the corporations doing a little wizardry with my seeds to make it appear I can suddenly garden like a pot farmer in Washington. When in reality its just a quick gene swap here, a little radiation there and POOF! I can suddenly garden.

And if I keep seed stock from something I grow personally, would the GMO aspect lessen generation after generation, or is it something that once its in the plant DNA its there forever?

Thank god I am the age I am. Knowing what I know about what goes on in this world and being young still would drive me insane.

-AL

I'm sure you know that there are naturally cross-bred hybrid crops and then there are GMO crops.

Most natural hybrid crops are bred for size, color, flavor, time to harvest and such. The seeds from a harvest, if replanted, will start to revert to the inferior variety.

Now a GMO from say, Monsanto, is directly genetically modified in a laboratory. RoundUp will kill almost any plant, but you can spray the heck out of "RoundUp Ready" Monsanto crops and nothing dies but the weeds.

Farmers are contractually obligated to purchase new seed every year and cannot replant seed.

There are also GMO crops modified with various genes from bacteria and other organisms that resist pests. (cotton boll weevil)

http://www.nongmoproject.org/learn-more/what-is-gmo/

GMO commercial crops:

• Alfalfa (first planting 2011)
  • Canola (approx. 90% of U.S. crop)
  • Corn (approx. 88% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Cotton (approx. 90% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Papaya (most of Hawaiian crop; approximately 988 acres)
  • Soy (approx. 94% of U.S. crop in 2011)
  • Sugar Beets (approx. 95% of U.S. crop in 2010)
  • Zucchini and Yellow Summer Squash (approx. 25,000 acres)

Well. You need to turn the soil with a rotatiller. Then you plant the seeds. You must weed the garden daily. Water when needed. It is rather easy. Also never plant the same plants in one spot, always rotate yearly. ( find out what each plant takes from the soil and puts back.

A good crop rotation is corn>beans> Melons>Potatoes. just rotate them clockwise each year.

Edited by thedudeabides

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.