Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
CGK

Gmail Hacked via Samsung Smart Fridge

2 posts in this topic

You had to know this was coming. With people jumping on the "smart" appliance bandwagon it's only a matter of time until everything in your home that's internet connected will be hacked. I don't want any "smart" appliances wreaking havoc in my house.  I can see it now, I come home to a hot house, dirty dishes and warm beer. Why? Because my air conditioner, dishwasher and fridge got into a brawl and the smart meter put them all on time out. (lol)

Samsung smart fridge leaves Gmail logins open to attack

Update Security researchers have discovered a potential way to steal users’ Gmail credentials from a Samsung smart fridge.

Pen Test Partners discovered the MiTM (man-in-the-middle) vulnerability that facilitated the exploit during an IoT hacking challenge at the recent DEF CON hacking conference.

The hack was pulled off against the RF28HMELBSR smart fridge, part of Samsung’s line-up of Smart Home appliances which can be controlled via their Smart Home app. While the fridge implements SSL, it fails to validate SSL certificates, thereby enabling man-in-the-middle attacks against most connections.

The internet-connected device is designed to download Gmail Calendar information to an on-screen display. Security shortcomings mean that hackers who manage to jump on to the same network can potentially steal Google login credentials from their neighbours.

"The internet-connected fridge is designed to display Gmail Calendar information on its display," explained Ken Munro, a security researcher at Pen Test Partners. "It appears to work the same way that any device running a Gmail calendar does. A logged-in user/owner of the calendar makes updates and those changes are then seen on any device that a user can view the calendar on."

More: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/08/24/smart_fridge_security_fubar/

It's a multi world after all......multi-culti, multi-function, etc.

Do one thing and do it well or compromise the entire unit with "features."

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Restore formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors.

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker.